Why become a member? ×

Two's company, three's deformity

niceguyhomer

My justification for 3 basses is that I take 2 to gigs (main bass + back up) and one left at home in case the others get stolen or someone rear-ends my car and totals the contents of the boot (again). But what if that happens and my house catches fire? Perhaps I ought to get another and keep it round my mates............ :)

My limit is 4

Fretted 4
spare/alternative fretted 4
fretted 5
fretless 4

So obviously I currently have 5 !!!!

Fretted 4
spare/alternative fretted 4
pride and joy 73P that I'm too precious about to take round the toilets of northern England (so it doesn't count)
fretless 4
Pointy thing I got for the trib band - making it a stage prop so (that doesn't count either)

Because 2 of those don't count I really only have 3

And because I included a 5 string in my 'ideal' list and haven't got one I can minus that from my 'actuals' - leaving just 2.

Which means - if my maths is correct - I can still buy 2 more making 7 but still only have 4 as long as one of them's a 5 string.

Anyone fancy a nice game of cards??!!

One bass is enough for anyone. Do classical instrumentalists hoard (..... oh yes, I've just bought my 8th stradivarius)???

It is all about finding that ONE instrument that allows you to achieve your full potential.

This is why of course I always have a minimum of 3 basses and am currently shopping for a third amp :)

I've got this GAS thing completely under control, and I'm holding steady at 20 basses.

In all fairness, it's hard to be a collector if you limit yourself to, say, three basses. :)

I've got 13 vintage Hofners, mainly late-50's & early-60's, plus two vintage Rickenbackers, a vintage Ibanez, and an original Guild Ashbory. Holding onto them is easy to justify ... they're an investment, and one that's currently delivering a much better return than the stock market. (I'm not trying to be funny, by the way.)

Oh yeh, and I get to play them all too.

The other three are traders, while also - if my new band ever gets around to doing pub gigs - being destined to be my gigging basses. All three are nice (Two Bass Collections and an MTD Grendel) but I wouldn't slash my wrists if one got damaged or stolen.

Hi Homer,

Interesting post! Personally, I can't get below 7 basses, which are justified in my OCD way as follows:

Working basses:
1 x Roscoe Beck 5 string = main gigging bass
1 x Lakland DJ5 = main back up for gigging bass
1 x Wal Pro 2e 4 string = graphite reinforced neck, so perfect for the drop tuned numbers in the set

Others:
1 x Hondo Ric copy = first proper gigging bass bought for me by Mum, so can't ever be sold for sentimental reasons
1 x P bass copy = because everyone's got to have a Precision type bass in their collection
1 x Jazz bass copy = you've gotta have a jazz bass in the collection, especialy a 4 string as it's great for slapping
1 x BC Rich Eagle = everyone's gotta have a through neck bass in their collection

All totally justified in my tiny little mind of course, especially as the P Bass, Jazz Bass and the Rickenbacker are 'archetypes' of bass guitar design really so it's nice to have that to hand.

The way I see it, it keeps me happy and doesn't hurt anybody else except the old bank balance :)

Nik

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='101264' date='Dec 8 2007, 08:52 AM']....pride and joy 73P that I'm too precious about to take round the toilets of northern England (so it doesn't count)[/quote]

I understand entirely Dr.Dave but it always seems a shame to me when someone has something that they treasure like that but don't feel safe taking it out of the house with them. I recall back in the 80's when XR3i's were being stolen faster than Ford could produce them, my brother bought a 1985 RS Turbo. Whenever we went anywhere in it, he'd always be fretting after parking it, wondering if it'd be there when he got back to it. It meant that he'd be anxious and on edge spoiling the day out. I was glad when he sold it.

Mark

PS. I have three basses now 2 x BB300's and a BB415. I have gone as high as 6 basses at one time but that was just silly.

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='101306' date='Dec 8 2007, 10:50 AM']Nice selection of working basses Nik. :)[/quote]
Thanks Homer - the RBV is absolutely amazing, so much so, the DJ5 hasn't had a look in! I've not been this happy with the sound of a bass for as long as I can remember :huh:

No sorry I can't conform to the 2 bass limit.

I started off with that rule, I convinced myself if I buy one more then I will sell the least desirable one but it never worked. I now have 10 Warwicks and 9 of them are Streamers. I can convince myself they all sound different but TBH I could play any one of them as my main bass and wouldn't need the others but it's turning into OCD, as I can't stand the thought of which one(s) I should sell.

I have two at the moment.

However, even when I was at home, I kept picking up my Squire VMJ over my aerodyne, mainly because I'm not a big fan of the sound of it, I think I'm erring towards heavier strings (the light EB 40-100's I like but not struck on). But the main thing is that I'm scared of damaging it.

Might possibly shift it on in the new year (should be able to get a decent return on it) and get a 2nd hand MIJ/MIA jazzer with some minor cosmetic damage that I won't be scared of damaging.

Saying that, I try to keep to one or two basses, I had my peavy and t-bird for a short time together before I flogged one then the other, and I've got a couple of guitars at home as well to play.

Awww guys, I do't feel so bad about my affliction now!! Ifeel guilt ridden towards the basses I don't really play, like I am ignoring a child lol!

My plan is to have 2 main gigging / recording / workhorse basses. They will be my Shuker 7er and the Shuker 6 that is 'in the making'.

However I do own a couple of basses that probably will never leave the house. I love them to bits, as they are instruments that I have wanted since I first started playing, but there was no way back then that I could have afforded them. I even decided that I had to sell my CIJ P bass the other day, but was slightly relieved when I found out I could afford to keep it. (GAS was to blame!!)

My Fender power jazz bass special isnt really worth a great deal, moneywise.. but its the first bass I ever really wanted.. I guess it was GAS at first site *insert that heart/love emoticon* - I'll never use it at a gig.

So I feel guilty having them at home unplayed.. but they do look rather lovely hanging up on my wall.

Well, I guess some people hang artwork on the wall.. I like people to come in and have a play on my basses.

[quote name='dood' post='101701' date='Dec 9 2007, 01:12 PM']So I feel guilty having them at home unplayed.. but they do look rather lovely hanging up on my wall.

Well, I guess some people hang artwork on the wall.. I like people to come in and have a play on my basses.[/quote]

I'm thinking about doing the same. I've got this gorgeous trans-era Musicman Stingray. Sh'es got the fantastic bird eye maple fretboard, and he generally just stunning. Problem is, I'm beginning to really dislike the 1.75" nut length and also I don't think it's tone is suitable for the current band and projects I'm in.

But I'm reluctant to sell. Firstly, because she is easily the most stunning in my stable, but from past experiences Stingrays simply don't sell for what I think is a good price. So I end up just feeling guilty that it is not being played.

I am thinking about hanging it, but I share my flat with my sister and I think she's against the idea. Hopefully I can find a good spot. I was thinking the toilet as I think the trans-teal would go great with the walls... lol. But I worry about rust and dust, etc.

I normally operate a "1 in, 1 out" rule. But a couple of bargains recently has torpedoed that. Besides, it's fun choosing what bass to gig.

I should cough that I've got six. The ones below plus a Westone Thunder 1A, that I've had since I was 15. Can't get rid of that for [s]senti[/s]mental reasons

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='100888' date='Dec 7 2007, 01:51 PM']Hi Peter,

The Sterling
The Lakland DJ and;
A Mexican P - which I've just prised out of my tutor's mitts. Lovely player, great build quality and it's getting a Wizard Thumper for Xmas :)[/quote]

Ahh, remember the MIM P I had Alan, the one Mikeh bought from me? Best Precision I ever played, cracking bass, wish I still had that one.

[quote name='Rayman' post='101918' date='Dec 9 2007, 10:11 PM']Ahh, remember the MIM P I had Alan, the one Mikeh bought from me? Best Precision I ever played, cracking bass, wish I still had that one.[/quote]

The one on the left!!

Twas a rather good bass that'n.

As for the 2 bass rule, I'll be upto 3 on Tuesday. Atm I want to keep them all, but I can see one going before long!! lol

I've been a multiple bass owner for much of my bass playing life - nowadays I tend to restrict myself to one bass per category, so I would have to have a particular reason to buy either a 4- or 5-string fretted, or a 4-string fretless, as I have now got the best of each of those categories that I have encountered. I still have to make a decision on the 5-string fretless Tsai but will probably be keeping it, and the 7-string will be staying too. I don't want to burn bridges by going to 5 strings to the exclusion of 4s, hence I will have at least three and probably at least five basses for the foreseeable future. Wouldn't mind a 5-string headless like an XZ-25 too, for entirely practical reasons.

I guess if you only play 4 string fretted then having more that a couple a bit overkill but i have 8. four good basses and four cheap ones. I have the cheap ones for fun. to mess about with and i just like having them around but the 4 good ones are more practical.

My alembic is for recording as is my fretless rick turner to an extent. then i have my 6 string for live and extended range stuff and my fretless stingray for live too. I really want a five string fretted but then i would have to get rid of one of the five string fretlesses as i dont use them that much.

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='100802' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:54 AM']I own 2 basses currently, soon to be 3 but I know what you're saying. It seems wrong to have basses that aren't played and I almost get frustrated at having to chose what to play. I don't think I'd ever want more than 3 at any one time. Ideally, I love the idea of owning just one bass and watching it get battle scars throughout the years. It would somehow make it even more valuable to me. [b]Like an old friend. Or your penis[/b]. Not sure how practical this is though.

The trouble I have is that I'm to lazy to sell things. Just seems eay to stick it in a corner. I also hate the feeling of regret. Would hate to sell something to then see it changing hands for serious money in years to come.

I've also promised the lady that 3 is my limit.[/quote]

- Your penis has battle scars?

I think it all depends on what you play and how precious you are about your sound. I play both fretted and fretless basses - some numbers are do-able on the other bass but not all of them and if it was an important gig I'd want a backup for each. There's also a couple of numbers we do that I think might sound even better on 8-string (4 course) but up til now I've restrained myself (although if we were to record them I'd definitely try the 8-string. I'd also take along at least 3 different fretlesses that all have very different sounds and would suit different songs that live I use just the one bass for. I currently have 16 basses and use 6 of them on a regular bassis and another 3 less often.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='100888' date='Dec 7 2007, 02:51 PM']The Sterling
The Lakland DJ and
A Mexican P[/quote]
That´s the perfect mix, if you ask me. A P, a J, a MM - three distinct, classic flavours, all bas(s)es covered. No need to sell anything IMHO. :huh:

Of course, that´s coming from a guy who has three Ps, a J, a Mustang, a G&L L-2000, an Tony Levin 5-string and Yamaha P/J and J/Js. :) :huh: