Why become a member? ×

Two's company, three's deformity

niceguyhomer

I've never sought to limit myself really -- no feelings of guilt for me!
At the moment, it's:

[list=1]
[*]Main fretted 5 (Shuker)
[*]Backup fretted 5 (Status)
[*]Fretless 5 (Yamaha)
[*]Main fretted 4 (Wal)
[*]Backup/cheapo fretted 4 (Squier J)
[*]Fretted 6 [size=1]- [i]very[/i] recent addition, either project or keeper[/size]
[/list]--PLUS--
Fretless 4 [size=1]- [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9632"][color="#FF0000"]up for sale[/color][/url][/size]
Fretted 4 [size=1]- beaten-up long term project, really must get my arse into gear and pick it up..![/size]:)

i've got four - I did sell a couple and go down to 2 when i) I wasn't really using them and ii) I'd bought a guitar that I couldn't really afford, but needed for another project and parted with a bass that I wasn't using. Then I bought another two because they were a good price (one was a *bargain*). So I went from having 2 Precisions (MIJ and USA) and a Stingray to having a Precision and a Stingray and back to 2 Precisions (USA and JV) and a Stingray (!) and the most recent acquisition, which is the bitsa jazz from Luke, because I wanted a jazz and it was a good price and turns out to be an extremely good bass.

If I can afford (comfortably) to buy an instrument, be it a bass or a guitar, because I've saved up for it or made a few quid and I have no other financial commitment, then I'll buy one regardless of whether I need one or not. I don't aspire to have dozens and dozens of instruments, but if I have the money hanging around (which is not very often admittedly) then I'd rather spend it on something I'd get a return on if I sold it than just waste it. Does that make sense? I'm having trouble articulating properly what it is I want to say.

I've bought guitars this year that I didn't know whether I [i]really[/i] wanted, but bought because I had the case, knew I wouldn't make a loss at the prices that I paid for them and the only way to find out if you're going to use an instrument in a band situation particularly, is to buy one and try it. Whilst you can get a feel for one in a shop, you don't know how well it's going to sit in a mix or how you get on with it over a period of time. Plus, I have a couple that I don't [i]really[/i] want that much, it gives me motivation to sell both of them and get the one big thing that I really want - in this case, this bloody idea of a 70s precision that I want. A couple of guitars is as good as money in the bank that i might have spent on nothing.

does that make sense? my brain hurts

I've got two, a main gigging 5-string bass (Sei Jazz) that gets left in a trailer in a garage from week to week.
And a second 5-string (Shuker Jazz) that kicks around the house for practice, jamming, dep work etc. as it saves me trailing to get the main bass.
Complete laziness or I'd only have one, maybe ! ;0)

I've been brought up (my Dad plays bass) on the one bass rule.
He owns a nice '72 Precision he's had since new and now played a few thousand gigs on. It's pretty beat up but it works and he likes it.

I can see the point of a backup bass but other than that it's all just GAS ! Don't be too proud to admit it.

[quote name='largo' post='104110' date='Dec 13 2007, 10:06 PM']I can see the point of a backup bass but other than that it's all just GAS ! Don't be too proud to admit it.[/quote]
We lose enough momentum with the audience as it is when the singer asks if anyone's got a birthday and so on. Defretting a bass between numbers is really going to slow things down. Especially with the refret three songs later.

Homer, is the MIM P the one that nick used to teach on? If so your not wrong, it is a wonderful bass! i love the off-white pg too.

I'm down to two at the moment, one 5 and one 4. however i really need another 5 to gig with, meaning i may have to say buh bye to my custom for now. silly old world.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='102259' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:32 PM']If I can afford (comfortably) to buy an instrument, be it a bass or a guitar, because I've saved up for it or made a few quid and I have no other financial commitment, then I'll buy one regardless of whether I need one or not. I don't aspire to have dozens and dozens of instruments, but if I have the money hanging around (which is not very often admittedly) then I'd rather spend it on something I'd get a return on if I sold it than just waste it. Does that make sense? I'm having trouble articulating properly what it is I want to say.

I've bought guitars this year that I didn't know whether I [i]really[/i] wanted, but bought because I had the case, knew I wouldn't make a loss at the prices that I paid for them and the only way to find out if you're going to use an instrument in a band situation particularly, is to buy one and try it. Whilst you can get a feel for one in a shop, you don't know how well it's going to sit in a mix or how you get on with it over a period of time. Plus, I have a couple that I don't [i]really[/i] want that much, it gives me motivation to sell both of them and get the one big thing that I really want - in this case, this bloody idea of a 70s precision that I want. A couple of guitars is as good as money in the bank that i might have spent on nothing.

does that make sense? my brain hurts[/quote]

makes sense to me as.I normally have any spare cash tied up in guitars and basses.I cant save money for nothing ,its for guitars. they've helped me out on a few failed MOTs over the years when needs must. I know I wouldnt have had the money otherwise.I've a thing about double figures.that used to be my limit.but I've blown that one too - 4 basses,2 acoustics,5 electrics