Why become a member? ×

OTT User signatures

Gwilym

I was just wondering if there's a way, either technical or otherwise to curb the amount of space taken up by user signatures?

I don't want to switch off the feature entirely (as I know I can do), because I think the information displayed can be interesting), but neither do I want to have 1 users signature take up literally the whole of my screen from top to bottom, when all that has been posted is a 1 line reply on a thread.

I'm getting RSI just scrolling down threads where 90% of the content is signatures, and often repeated numerous times.

So, please please please can people show some restraint? :)

/rant

I've pulled a few people up on this recently actually - We dont want to be hugely Anal about it and have no set rules. Generally speaking if the sig elongates that persons post box for one line posts or is longer than the post they've made (the box changes shape according to how much text is in there, go and have a scoot round and see what i mean, its hard to explain!) We'll ask people to narrow them down.

Velvet - sounds like that would be a good feature for some people, but I dont know if we have it. I'll have an ask!

Okay, having had a second look I've come up with a second way to explain it! (hey, im tired okay?) If the sig is noticeably making the post longer than all the information on the left hand side then You'll be asked to narrow it to this. Realistically it doesn't make any difference if its the same or less than this whether there are

In general, I have to say it really doesn't bother me. However, if it's causing the running of the site a problem that's something for admin et al to look into.
In fact some of them are quite attractive.

[quote name='silddx' post='887674' date='Jul 6 2010, 07:14 PM']Most of the room is taken with the profile stuff on the left. There aren't many sigs I've seen that go lower than that with a one line post. Except mine :lol:[/quote]

Now, to you Nigel. Put it back how it was, if you can please. That just looks untidy. :) And your 'some leads and fingers' (or whatever it was) and Brum Brum, are missing, so you need to sort that out as well. :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Paul_C' post='887709' date='Jul 6 2010, 07:46 PM']are you thinking of ones like this ?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91855&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91855&hl=[/url]

:)[/quote]

Yes.

I use Firefox with Adblock and block any images in signatures. That helps. Self-restraint helps too though - I'm one of the gear-listers but I compress the information, having been brought up in Usenet when sigs over four lines long were frowned on*. There are those who don't seem to have assimilated the concept of lists that exist in two dimensions rather than one.

* One newsgroup I used to participate in had this as a rule, not a guideline. I documented this period in [url="http://www.tauzero.co.uk/other/guardian.html"]the Guardian of the Sig series.[/url]

[quote name='Paul_C' post='887709' date='Jul 6 2010, 07:46 PM']are you thinking of ones like this ?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91855&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91855&hl=[/url]

:)[/quote]

That is hilarious...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='887747' date='Jul 6 2010, 08:26 PM']P
e
r
h
a
p
s

w
e

c
o
u
l
d

w
r
i
t
e

v
e
r
t
i
c
a
l
l
y

t
o

c
o
m
p
e
n
s
a
t
e
?

:rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' post='888479' date='Jul 7 2010, 02:27 PM']T
h
i
s

i
s

j
u
s
t

t
a
k
i
n
g

t
h
e

p
s
s
![/quote]
Ah Hum!!! The scrolling down I've had to do to reply to these two quotes... :)

[quote name='grumble' post='888324' date='Jul 7 2010, 12:51 PM']I have nothing to say about this[/quote]

There is one thing that could be said in an online era thats PERFECT for this situation...

"Less QQ Pls"

:) Couldn't resist!
I understand the OP but tbh I've been on this site for a while now and I don't mind...I've not seen many more than 10 lines long...could be wrong but then, that jus shows how much Im bothered by it.
I dunno...Not something I wish to be negative on.

Edited by Kongo