Why become a member? ×

Stingrays = lovely!

burno70

I was trying a dirt pedal out in Dolphin Liverpool this afternoon and used a Stingray as it was about the nearest I could get to my bass (hot actives). It was a 4 string, all
wood body maple? - I think it was going for between £1600 - £1700. God it was nice to play - and sounded totally awesome too. I didn't like the pedal and ended up playing the bass clean for half an hour. It made me really, really want it. I could see the 0% finance offer but the inevitable reality check fought off the urge.

I'm seriously happy with the bass I have - just wish I had tonnes of money so I could buy more. Sweet, sweet bass!

Edited by burno70

Luckily I got a great deal on the two Ive recently ordered and Im really excited.

They are very popular, which can be a problem as people dont seem to realise quite how 'high end' a Stingray really is.

I sold two, to fund other Ernie Balls, but I decided on another Ray 4 and Ray 5 HS in the end....in the colour I prefer.

If you like the Stingray sound and like a P type width neck, they are pretty unbeatable. I think they really comes into their own in band situation, especially those with big line ups. If you're really keen on 'Rays try out the Sterling by Musicman Ray34, they're really amazing for the dosh and I prefer mine to my old US 'Ray. However, pretty good 2nd hand deals can be had on Stingrays too for not too much more cash thatn a new Ray34.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='869956' date='Jun 17 2010, 03:24 PM']I've never got on with them, the necks feel too chunky to me and they tend to have quite obvious dead spots.

Keep meaning to try a Sterling but I've still never even seen one.[/quote]

Never tried a Stingray with 'obvious' deadspots, I would argue with this particular point. I don't think how a bass plays is contingent on whether it's a Stingray or any other brand, it's either been a good setup or not IMO.

burno70, was it the LTD edition Stingray Bass with the mint green/powder blue finish? Because if it was I'll be over to Dolphin like a shot!

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='870058' date='Jun 17 2010, 05:39 PM']Never tried a Stingray with 'obvious' deadspots, I would argue with this particular point. I don't think how a bass plays is contingent on whether it's a Stingray or any other brand, it's either been a good setup or not IMO.

burno70, was it the LTD edition Stingray Bass with the mint green/powder blue finish? Because if it was I'll be over to Dolphin like a shot![/quote]

Ah yes....it could have been a Classic Ray at that price tag.

Talk em down to £1600!

Yup, Stingrays are fab, I love the tones, especially from the 2 band version, but both the ones I had suffered from the quiet G string problem, and I never really sorted it out on either of them.

Actually now I think I prefer the G&L I'm currently using. Not [i]quite that [/i]'ray tone, but close, and for me, many more other tones available that the Stingray can't do, so it's a much more versatile bass.

Still love 'rays though.

[quote name='ezbass' post='870024' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:51 PM']If you're really keen on 'Rays try out the Sterling by Musicman Ray34, they're really amazing for the dosh and I prefer mine to my old US 'Ray. However, pretty good 2nd hand deals can be had on Stingrays too for not too much more cash thatn a new Ray34.[/quote]

Me and a fellow bass player (we both own a Stingray) tried the Ray 34 at the Mansons guitar show and were really impressed. We could not tell where they saved the money. If you want new try one out. Otherwise find a good 2nd hand deal.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='burno70' post='869894' date='Jun 17 2010, 02:06 PM']I was trying a dirt pedal out in Dolphin Liverpool this afternoon and used a Stingray as it was about the nearest I could get to my bass (hot actives). It was a 4 string, all wood bodybody maple? - I think it was going for between £1600 - £1700. God it was nice to play - and sounded totally awesome too. I didn't like the pedal and ended up playing the bass clean for half an hour. It made me really, really want it. I could see the 0% finance offer but the inevitable reality check fought of the urge.

I'm seriously happy with the bass I have - just wish I had tonnes of money so I could buy more. Sweet, sweet bass![/quote]

i was in there the other day and was shocked by the stingray prices, particularly as they were not newer versions with the rounded pickup ends and compensated nut, which would lead me to belive they had them in stock long before the exchange rate went down the sh*tt*r and are just trying to cash in on it with their old stock too. even if they are brand new £1700 is outrageous, PMT have them for about £1300 i think.

It wasn't a mint green powder blue - but actually very similar to BH2's. Not sure if it was an Ltd - it's not on their website and I didn't notice Ltd on it anywhere.

[quote]I've never got on with them, the necks feel too chunky to me and they tend to have quite obvious dead spots.[/quote]

Funny you should say that - the first stingray I tried was a tobacco sunburst jobbie going for £1300 and that did have obvious dead spots - which lead me to try the other one.

As for £1700, I did ask an assistant why it was so much more expensive than the others and he said it was because of the wood finish. If I had the spare cash I would have no problem paying it for a bass of that quality.

What colour was the £1700 one ?

One of these:

[url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/classic-stingray-4.html"]http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basse...stingray-4.html[/url]

?

They are £1700 ish in most stores at the moment. Most striking feature is the varnished neck.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='870355' date='Jun 17 2010, 11:03 PM']What colour was the £1700 one ?

One of these:

[url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/classic-stingray-4.html"]http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basse...stingray-4.html[/url]

?

They are £1700 ish in most stores at the moment. Most striking feature is the varnished neck.[/quote]

It had a transparant gloss varnished body, I couldn't find anything like it on the website though?

Dolphin is overpriced and rubbish for bass guitarists IMO. Didn't the Liverpool store have a Classic Vibe Jazz up for about £450 the other day? Same bass in a store not twenty yards away for £320... Who are they kidding?

[quote name='Shambo' post='870759' date='Jun 18 2010, 01:23 PM']Dolphin is overpriced and rubbish for bass guitarists IMO. Didn't the Liverpool store have a Classic Vibe Jazz up for about £450 the other day? Same bass in a store not twenty yards away for £320... Who are they kidding?[/quote]

This I couldn't agree more with, overpriced, terrible stock and inexperienced/poorly informed staff as well (despite knowing two members of staff that have previously worked there, who couldn't stand the job anyway). I only ever pop in every few months to see if they've cleaned up their act. Dawsons is very much the same. Curlys across the road provides a nice service but don't provide a good level of professional gear, although this is just my opinion.

All the proper shops have gone now,Anyone remember Musical Exchanges in Birmingham? All them tunnels of cabs with no speakers for peanuts and basses in every shape and brand with prices to match! Brilliant I still like a look in any secondhand shops when around the country just in case they have a 59 Les paul for £50 or a pre EB Stingray marked up as a good Ernie Ball copy for £70! Not found any yet but one day............

Guitar Village are doing a black/maple Classic Stingray for £1559 which is the best price I've seen for a Classic in the UK

[url="http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=9467&catid=8&manid=245&quantity=1&product=Musicman+Classic+Sting+Ray+4,+Black,+New"]http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-det...y+4,+Black,+New[/url]