Why become a member? ×

Stingrays = lovely!

burno70

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='870722' date='Jun 18 2010, 12:54 PM']whats the difference in the stingrays, sterlings, subs and ray34's?????????????/[/quote]

In a very small nutshell

Stingray = P width neck, 2 or 3 band eq, alnico p/up, US build
Sterling = J width neck, 3 band eq with series/parallel/single coil switch, ceramic p/up, smaller body, US build
Ray34 = Offshore Stingray
SB14 = Offshore Sterling
SUB = discontinued slab bodied, textured finish 2 band Stingrays or 3 band Sterlings without coil tap, US build

And then there's the Bongo.....................

Check out the [url="http://www.music-man.com/"]Ernie Ball MusicMan[/url] and [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/"]Sterling[/url] (the confusingly named offshore brand) websites

[quote name='ezbass' post='871058' date='Jun 18 2010, 07:20 PM']In a very small nutshell

Stingray = P width neck, 2 or 3 band eq, alnico p/up, US build
Sterling = J width neck, 3 band eq with series/parallel/single coil switch, ceramic p/up, smaller body, US build
Ray34 = Offshore Stingray
SB14 = Offshore Sterling
SUB = discontinued slab bodied, textured finish 2 band Stingrays or 3 band Sterlings without coil tap, US build

And then there's the Bongo.....................

Check out the [url="http://www.music-man.com/"]Ernie Ball MusicMan[/url] and [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/"]Sterling[/url] (the confusingly named offshore brand) websites[/quote]

ah nice one dude, I appreciate that :)

[quote name='bh2' post='870095' date='Jun 17 2010, 06:27 PM']Yes... had to sell off my '78 Ray last year... got £1300 for it.

[/quote]

that looks exactly like my 79 Ray! IMO pre Ernie Ball is the only real Ray. None and I mean none of the EB Rays I've tried come close to the real deal.
So my advice to the OP is forget that £1700 EBMM and get a real one for probably less money!
It's only my opinion!!! So appologies to any EB Ray fans.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='870932' date='Jun 18 2010, 05:05 PM']All the proper shops have gone now,Anyone remember Musical Exchanges in Birmingham? All them tunnels of cabs with no speakers for peanuts and basses in every shape and brand with prices to match! Brilliant I still like a look in any secondhand shops when around the country just in case they have a 59 Les paul for £50 or a pre EB Stingray marked up as a good Ernie Ball copy for £70! Not found any yet but one day............[/quote]

absolutely.....what a store.
I bought my 63 Precision there about 12 years ago for £1250 and we are talking a complete real '63 PLake Placid Blue P Bass.....here's the evidence.

I was in pmt the other day and picked up a 3eq stingray and plugged it into an ampeg combo just to see what it was like, the only problem i had with it was i didn't have £1400 on me or any way to obtain it!

I have always played precisions and been happy with mine up until now, anyone need a kidney?!

Excellent purchase there Bassnut62 ! Looks real nice. That tunnel with all the basses in must of had the equevilent from the 80's of todays costly hand made basses for peanuts in comparison to the build costs,It would be like a tunnel full of Roscoes,Overwaters,GB's,Dingwalls etc in 5 years time for no more than £200 a piece!

I would say to the OP go for a secondhand EB lots on ebay and on here for under £700,I think thats got to be best value for money.The real deal is better no doubt, The only people on here that will contest that will not have played a pre EB (I own both before anyone starts :rolleyes: )But the days of £1300 for pre EB are long gone at the moment although what goes up and all that.

I think you will find if you offered up that pre EB today for £1300 you would find hundreds of pm's for it.I would not hesitate to take that for £1300 unseen and unplayed in the flesh,Things got a little out of hand about MusicIans pre EB he has for sale at the moment but I think everyone felt what he is asking at the moment is about right and lets say it has a "little bit of mojo" (Very cool looking but mojo aplenty!)

Nice EB went on the bay yesterday for £565 ,Thats got to be better than a sub or a ray34 surely, No offense to owners of those but secondhand must be the right way cost wise. I paid £1280 for mine in 2002 and its worth half that but its no less an instument than when I bought it new. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote]Dolphin is overpriced and rubbish for bass guitarists IMO.[/quote]

Didn't always be the case - 3 years ago, as well as the obligatory Fenders you could expect to find Overwaters, Musicman, Ibanez and Warwicks - I spent many a lunch hour in there widdling away.

I like the staff in there and prefer them to Dawsons. Curly's are good too.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='871134' date='Jun 18 2010, 09:13 PM']! IMO pre Ernie Ball is the only real Ray. None and I mean none of the EB Rays I've tried come close to the real deal.
It's only my opinion!!! So appologies to any EB Ray fans.[/quote]
+1 For Pre EB's :)

My only point against the pre EB is the lack of chamfeur for you arm,The body one does not bother me and I have played an EB with the body cut for years but the arm one does get on my nerves when playing with a plectrum for rocking out but Im hoping i will just get used to it,Other than that its a massive +1 on all counts.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='871134' date='Jun 18 2010, 09:13 PM']that looks exactly like my 79 Ray! IMO pre Ernie Ball is the only real Ray. None and I mean none of the EB Rays I've tried come close to the real deal.
So my advice to the OP is forget that £1700 EBMM and get a real one for probably less money!
It's only my opinion!!! So appologies to any EB Ray fans.[/quote]

Overpriced, overweight and underchamfered....get a 30th - everything the pre-EB wasn't (sic) :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='871280' date='Jun 18 2010, 10:53 PM']I would like one of them too! Although my pre EB would blow it away sound wise no problem and its a very nice 9lb too :rolleyes:[/quote]

Keep telling yourself that and eventually you'll come to believe it :)

Althought this will go in the "For Sale" section shortly, I am selling my Stingray 5 if anyone is interested, it's in absolute mint condtns, had it from new in 2002, not even a scratch to it, as I keep all my instruments mint. Translucent Red on ash body with nice visible wood texture, maple neck, original MM case and all the trimmings.

gives us a pm if interested.

[quote name='martthebass' post='871595' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:57 AM']Keep telling yourself that and eventually you'll come to believe it :rolleyes:[/quote]

I spent the last 8 years with the Ernie Ball mate and I still love it dont get me wrong but it took all of 3 minutes of hearing a pre EB through someone elses amp etc to realise the pre sounds better.I think Im wishing I had gone for a 2 band when I purchased the EB but I was a lot younger then and I presumed more is better but it looks as though that is not always the case? Theres a lot of love for the 2 band out there which remains true to the original simple circuit I have in my pre whereas the 3 band has a modern green pcb.I might even swap it and keep all the 3 band bits safe if a cheap 2 band control plate comes my way.What is your experience with the sounds of a pre most people that say they prefer the newer ones have never heard a pre EB. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='871730' date='Jun 19 2010, 02:16 PM']I spent the last 8 years with the Ernie Ball mate and I still love it dont get me wrong but it took all of 3 minutes of hearing a pre EB through someone elses amp etc to realise the pre sounds better.I think Im wishing I had gone for a 2 band when I purchased the EB but I was a lot younger then and I presumed more is better but it looks as though that is not always the case? Theres a lot of love for the 2 band out there which remains true to the original simple circuit I have in my pre whereas the 3 band has a modern green pcb.I might even swap it and keep all the 3 band bits safe if a cheap 2 band control plate comes my way.What is your experience with the sounds of a pre most people that say they prefer the newer ones have never heard a pre EB. :)[/quote]

It's all opinion, isn't it. I have played some really nice pre-EB's and a lot of great newer models (including a lovely one in Stockholm the other day). I must say having played a friend's old 1978 it sounded quite awful, but there were some dreadful issues with the electronics that he was too lazy to sort out (all the gear, no idea). There really is no right and wrong here, only preference.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='871609' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:25 AM']Althought this will go in the "For Sale" section shortly, I am selling my Stingray 5 if anyone is interested, it's in absolute mint condtns, had it from new in 2002, not even a scratch to it, as I keep all my instruments mint. Translucent Red on ash body with nice visible wood texture, maple neck, original MM case and all the trimmings.

gives us a pm if interested.[/quote]

That's a beauty! Would you consider a Fender Jazz Bass and an X-Box 360 as a trade?? Haha :)

Its true there really is no right or wrong or one shoe fits all bass. All the more reason to buy as many as possible :) 30th Ray is on the list already and maybe a 5 string at some point and lets face it they are all very similar especially if setup how you like it and all in good order elctronics wise.So the advice to the OP must be get some kind of Stingray there are plenty of us with good arguments for all versions.Like I said earlier my choice in this situation would be a secondhand EB there is enough in the £600-£700 range to even choose a colour he likes and they are all built to last :rolleyes:

The 2 vs 3 band is definitely a subjective test. I did the same when I was younger, more EQ must mean better. All my favourite players use 3 band EQs.

I then realised recently that I DO prefer the 3 EQ tone. I like the extra cutting mid-bite. The 2 EQ is great, but im against the old school grain on this one and prefer the 3 EQ Ray. If you want it sounding old school, just stick on some flats or use the EQ properly.

I've had 3 Stingrays now. The first was a teal green 1998 3EQ with maple neck from the original Bass Centre in Wapping. It was a lovely bass and one of the nicest necks I have played. However the tone was very very thin and I never played it live because it sounded twangy and empty. Even on the record I recorded using it, it sounds thin and weedy. The second Stingray I owned was a natural 2005 with a maple neck and 3EQ. The neck was very chunky and very precision like. It also sounded very nice. Fat and punchy but with a lot of scope to change the tone. My latest Stingray however is the best I have owned. Its a teal green 2EQ with maple neck from 2008. The neck is wonderful like my original teal green Stingray and the overall bass weight is very light. About 8lbs. The sound however is out of this world. Big, fat, powerful like a precision but still with that typical Stingray slank. Truely amazing.