Why become a member? ×

Jaco playing "The Chicken"

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='steve-soar' post='868182' date='Jun 15 2010, 05:17 PM']Brilliant.

Knitwear was big in the 80's, especially if you had to sleep rough. Somebody should have looked after Jaco and made him feel safe.[/quote]

Hey! I had that jumper too.

Jaco's doctor's son or daughter has posted a comment on that clip. Sad times.

Great tune. Love playing it on the sax too.

Meanwhile, Jaco always reminds me of Dominique Pinon in the film Delicatessen...

[quote name='Spoombung' post='868212' date='Jun 15 2010, 05:39 PM'][size=6]GROOVECRIME[/size][/quote]

I'm not sure what this means to be honest.

That's a cool clip-I've seen it loads,because obviously it's off his 'Modern Electric Bass' video,but it's
still dead good.
Like Bilbo said,it's got a real relaxed groove which most people who play it don't tend to
give it.

Great video, although I'm not sure if that is the bass of doom he's playing. I recall that when they got him in to film this video they put him up for a couple of days and that he had to lend a bass because he had lost his by this point. Something about a student providing one for him? Or maybe I'm thinking of the video where he plays with Jeff Berlin.

IMO, this is a great clip in that it really shows the effectiveness of working together as a unit and laying back with the groove.

I think it's something that regardless of your opinion of Jaco's music and so forth, you can still see something special at work - from the band as a whole, rather than just one individual within that band.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='868140' date='Jun 15 2010, 04:35 PM']ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......[/quote]
Not really sure of the point that's being made with posts like this though...maybe some elaboration would be useful if it's something that could contribute to the discussion?

What a great tune, though this isn't my favorite version, I like the original demo version of it from when Jaco was first starting out. What I love about Jaco's playing is his sense of timing, and the way he seems to leave masses of space and air in a groove, even if the groove is fast and tight - Jaco is the king of time in my opinion. I think most people don't understand this about his playing.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='868366' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:24 PM']Great video, although I'm not sure if that is the bass of doom he's playing. I recall that when they got him in to film this video they put him up for a couple of days and that he had to lend a bass because he had lost his by this point. Something about a student providing one for him? Or maybe I'm thinking of the video where he plays with Jeff Berlin.[/quote]

Its got the precision knobs so don't think it was a lender. The vids where is is chatting to a dude, he is playing a couple of other basses, and one he strips the strings off and puts it back together at the start, would make sense if that's the lent bass video.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='868434' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:11 PM']Jaco is the king of time in my opinion.[/quote]

I agree. You could strip away EVERYTHING else he did and he would still have played with everyone and their dogs because his time would make your band sound good. End of. As I heard a drummer say of another bassist (not Jaco) "he puts the beat in a sexy place".

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='868506' date='Jun 15 2010, 10:05 PM']Its got the precision knobs so don't think it was a lender. The vids where is is chatting to a dude, he is playing a couple of other basses, and one he strips the strings off and puts it back together at the start, would make sense if that's the lent bass video.[/quote]

I found a quote from Jaco in article about the making of 'Modern Electric Bass' where he says that neither of the
basses that he used in the video were his.

Also, the dude that he is chatting to is the legend that is Jerry Jemmott.