Why become a member? ×

If playing bass was like the force....

basskit_case

I went to see Kyle Eastwood on Friday and it just made me think that I would have loved to learn the bass "properly", by that I mean fully rounded approach to learning, technique, theory, history.

I was reminded me of the bit in Empire Strikes Back where Luke Skywalker went to see Yoda to learn about the force, I need to do that bit of jogging through a forest performing somersaults with a bass equivalent of yoda in my rucksack.

So my questions to you all are who or what are the bass equivalent of these Star Wars related things, I have had my go:

Who is Yoda? -

Who is Darth Vader? - Steve Vai

Who is Ben Kenobi? - James Jamerson "Use the hook Luke"

Where is Dagobah? -

What is the lightsabre? - Fender Precision

What is the Death Star - Bass Cellar

Funnily enough I've always thought of my blue jazz as being like the falcon. Something that started out bone stock and just got modded and modded and used and dented and banged up and bits stuck on and taken off and is now just a part of me, just like Han and his beloved old YT-1300 freighter we all know as the falcon :-)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='866793' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:20 AM']Funnily enough I've always thought of my blue jazz as being like the falcon. Something that started out bone stock and just got modded and modded and used and dented and banged up and bits stuck on and taken off and is now just a part of me, just like Han and his beloved old YT-1300 freighter we all know as the falcon :-)[/quote]

:) Yeah, but it would be the Precision, 10 years older and more of a freighter than the Jazz ....

"You've come all this way playing [i]that[/i] thing? You're braver than I thought"

As Princess Leia nearly said.

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='867247' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:09 PM']Now, I've never been there but, having read the various posts on here over the years, my understanding was that the Bass Cellar was Mos Eisley.... If you know what I mean..?[/quote]

A wretched hive of scum and villainy??

Well, if I'm Luke (dashing young hero) and my Status is my 'sabre, that makes my ex Jabba the Hutt -
being a big, ugly, barely intelligible monstrosity with a gaggle of similarly evil hangers-on, who's intent on making my life feel like I'm being slowly digested over a hundred years.

Maybe my sister will pop up and strangle her with a chain?