Why become a member? ×

"Pro Level" small lightweight combo

eude

OK guys, looking for a bit of advice here, apologies if this goes over old ground, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in any earlier posts, plus new gear comes out all the time, hard to keep up.

Due to a bit of a change of circumstances, I need to downsize my "mini rig of doom" even further, madness I know.
I'll be moving on the LittleMark250 and Aguilar GS112 in favour of a small "pro level" combo, hopefully.
Reason for the "pro level" comment is that I'm very used to the slickness, apparent transparency (IMHO) and quality MarkBass now, basically I've been spoiled...

So....., I'm looking for a compact 10" or 12" combo, I guess 100W to 200W, speaker out (hopefully), one handed lift, sub 40lbs, with tilt back if possible.
For about the money I could get for my current set up, probably £450 - £550 I guess.

The ones that have spring to mind are:
[list]
[*]Ibanez Promethean 10" combo
[*]Fender Bassman 100 10"er (not a current model, from 2005? GAK seem to still stock them)
[*]2nd hand TecAmp Puma Combo (if anyone is insane enough to part with it)
[*]2nd hand MarkBass CMD 121H, or Mini CMD 121P (again if anyone has taken leave of their senses)
[*]SWR Working Pro 10"
[*]2nd hand SWR Baby Blue (rare as rocking horse poo unfortunately...)
[/list]
Any other suggestions?...

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='ahpook' post='862219' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:38 PM']i have a SWR baby baby blue combo (120W), which seems to fit the bill...i'm not sure if they make them any more, but if you can find one, then i think they're amazing sounding amps for the size.[/quote]

Good shout dude.
I've added a couple of SWRs to my list.
Those Baby Blues are very hard to come by from what I can gather unfortunately :)

Eude

[quote name='yorick' post='862267' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:19 PM']Gallien Kreuger MB150....[/quote]

I did consider that, but I think it's probably a bit too wee.
I use my low B a fair bit plus it's an old old amp design, so I'm not sure it'll be suited.
However, if I could get one and the extension cab, it might be just the ticket.
Hmmm...

Annoyingly, GK are bringing out the MB112, a 200W super light 12" combo, but they seem to be having production problems as the release date keeps slipping, even though the rest of the range of those cabs has been around for a good 6 months :)

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' post='862275' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:21 PM']Shuttle 3.0 10T[/quote]

I think the Shuttle is out of my price range, don't they come in about £700?!!!!...
If they're around what I can afford I'll be on one like an aggressive moss!

Eude

Edited by eude

The Ibanez Promethean is a great little amp, and the fact that the head is removable like a Walkabout Scout makes it very versatile for me. There's also a nice gig bag for it, making it a nice all in one solution. If you're ever passing Blackburn you're welcome to try it out.

Back to topic though... don't for the Acoustic Image range of combos... you may (not very likely mind) get an early one in that price bracket. If you had a grand to spend, theres a second had Mesa Scout at Bass Direct :)

SWR no questions...

but if you are a finger style jazz/funky guy the Promethean is handy as you can take the head out and use the head at rehearsal studios etc.. (food for thought). They sound pretty good, i've used a friend and it was great, just take a gig or two to work out your sound and amp has enough kick for an extension cab, if you need it..

have I just changed my mind and gone for the Ibanbez.. I guess I have

[quote name='eude' post='862286' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:24 PM']I think the Shuttle is out of my price range, don't they come in about £700?!!!!...

Eude[/quote]
[url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitar_Amplifiers_and_Speakers/Bass_Amps_Combos_and_Cabinets/Bass_Combos/sc1589/p7583.aspx"]£589[/url]

I know it doesn't tick a couple of your boxes (only 60W, no speaker out AFAIK), but there's the EBS Session 60.

And I dunno if it fits in with your notion of "pro level", but I think there's a Line 6 Lowdown tiltback combo around the 100-150W range. Depends on whether you like the models. I've just parted from a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 in favour of a TC RS112 to pair with my LMII, purely because I prefer the sounds I can get from the MarkBass. Knowing that you like the MarkBass sound, you might not like the Lowdown models.

Both the EBS and Line 6 would leave you change to spare from your budget.

EDIT: [url="http://line6.com/lowdownld150/"]This is the Line 6[/url] (LD150), but it's over 40lbs. So I've given you two suggestions that don't really fulfil your criteria. I'll STFU now. :)

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='eude' post='862286' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:24 PM']I think the Shuttle is out of my price range, don't they come in about £700?!!!!...

Eude[/quote]

I've seen them for less than £600.

[quote name='algmusic' post='862289' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:28 PM']SWR no questions...

but if you are a finger style jazz/funky guy the Promethean is handy as you can take the head out and use the head at rehearsal studios etc.. (food for thought). They sound pretty good, i've used a friend and it was great, just take a gig or two to work out your sound and amp has enough kick for an extension cab, if you need it..

have I just changed my mind and gone for the Ibanbez.. I guess I have[/quote]

I do love the Ibanez combo, it looks great and gets a great write up :)
It has all the pro features I'm looking for too however...

[quote name='sk8' post='862299' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:35 PM'][url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitar_Amplifiers_and_Speakers/Bass_Amps_Combos_and_Cabinets/Bass_Combos/sc1589/p7583.aspx"]£589[/url][/quote]

Right, there could be a winner already!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='862310' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:40 PM']I know it doesn't tick a couple of your boxes (only 60W, no speaker out AFAIK), but there's the EBS Session 60.

And I dunno if it fits in with your notion of "pro level", but I think there's a Line 6 Lowdown tiltback combo around the 100-150W range. Depends on whether you like the models. I've just parted from a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 in favour of a TC RS112 to pair with my LMII, purely because I prefer the sounds I can get from the MarkBass. Knowing that you like the MarkBass sound, you might not like the Lowdown models.

Both the EBS and Line 6 would leave you change to spare from your budget.

EDIT: [url="http://line6.com/lowdownld150/"]This is the Line 6[/url] (LD150), but it's over 40lbs. So I've given you two suggestions that don't really fulfil your criteria. I'll STFU now. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Cheers man.
I really like both these amps, but they're not really loud/flexible enough for my purposes.
I want something that's not going to take up much room, but I also want something that will be loud enough to use on stage as a monitor or at acoustic'y gigs with the added flexibility of being able to hook up another cab when necessary.
So these little guys don't quite cut it in the "pro level" category.
The spare change would be nice, but I'd only waste it on booze and black jack :lol:

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' post='862331' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:51 PM']I've seen them for less than £600.[/quote]

Yup, Sk8 already found one!...
I'm going to have to scour the interweb for a comparison between the Ibanez and the Shuttle...

Eude

Eude, have you checked out the new [url="http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/Basses-Amps-and-Effects/Bass-Amps/Bass-Combos/TC-Electronic-BG500-2x10.html"]TC electronic combos[/url]? Also [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=10032917004719#ProductDetail"]here[/url]

Both guitarguitar and red dog music in edinburgh have them in stock, at £609 for the 2x10, and £549 for the 1x15. I am planning a perving session on saturday or sunday :)

[quote name='razze06' post='862378' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:25 PM']Eude, have you checked out the new [url="http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/Basses-Amps-and-Effects/Bass-Amps/Bass-Combos/TC-Electronic-BG500-2x10.html"]TC electronic combos[/url]? Also [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=10032917004719#ProductDetail"]here[/url][/quote]
I considered them for myself, but they're HEAVY. Over 30kg. :)

[quote name='razze06' post='862378' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:25 PM']Eude, have you checked out the new [url="http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/Basses-Amps-and-Effects/Bass-Amps/Bass-Combos/TC-Electronic-BG500-2x10.html"]TC electronic combos[/url]? Also [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=10032917004719#ProductDetail"]here[/url]

Both guitarguitar and red dog music in edinburgh have them in stock, at £609 for the 2x10, and £549 for the 1x15. I am planning a perving session on saturday or sunday :rolleyes:[/quote]

I love the look of these bad boys, but I'm afraid they're a bit too big.
I need something very compact, either a 10" er or a super small 12"er.
The thing also needs to be an easy one hand lift, which the TC's won't be, which is a real shame...
If only they'd do a 10" version of it :)
Knowing my luck, I'll buy something and they'll bring one out just after.

Eude

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='862380' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:27 PM']I considered them for myself, but they're HEAVY. Over 30kg. :)[/quote]

Yeah, just too darned big.
I'm going to e-mither TC though, just in case they're planning anything smaller...

Eude

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='862380' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:27 PM']I considered them for myself, but they're HEAVY. Over 30kg. :)[/quote]

Fair enough, hadn't considered the weight issue.

I'm still going to go and ogle them this weekend...

[quote name='eude' post='862233' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:50 PM']Good shout dude.
I've added a couple of SWRs to my list.
Those Baby Blues are very hard to come by from what I can gather unfortunately :)

Eude[/quote]

there's a workingman's 15 combo [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWR-Workingmans-Series-15-Bass-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-/120574567845?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c12cde5a5"]on ebay at the moment[/url]

edit: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWR-workingman-15-/170496223479?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item27b25de8f7"]and another[/url]

Edited by ahpook

Eude I had the same dilemma as you but I made my practice box of doom myself as what I wanted just wasnt't available...

Used a @@@ked Rolland cube 30x as the donor cab. Stripped it and made a (mesa cribbed design) mount in the back for a PJB D-200.
Re kitted it with a new Celestion green Ceramic mag 10" 200w speaker and recovered it in tolex. sound wise it was a bit too clean and hi fi for me so now I have a DHA VT-1 through the effects loop to give it that 'valve pre-amp' tone......

Whilst its not a Mesa, it is remarkably light, compact and loud enough........ My g'tarist who is very critical is very impressed with it.

If you can find a @@@ked Roland cube to act as donor I have have no probs doing the mods to it so you can put the same bits (or a LMK 250 which was my other choice) in it.....

Just a thought......

I must get some pics of it and put it in the build diaries section..... :)

[quote name='razze06' post='862388' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:32 PM']Fair enough, hadn't considered the weight issue.

I'm still going to go and ogle them this weekend...[/quote]

It come along with you dude if the Fiance wasn't around this weekend :)
Let me know what you think to 'em.

Eude