Why become a member? ×

"Pro Level" small lightweight combo

eude

[quote name='The Burpster' post='865903' date='Jun 13 2010, 01:05 PM']Finally took pics and put a thread together.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91496&st=0#entry865897"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t=0#entry865897[/url][/quote]

Hey Bob,
Thanks for that!
Nice work there, very nice indeed :)

OK.

[b]I've decided that I'm going to go with the Ibanez Promethean[/b]

It sounds a little bit like the MarkBass which is good (from the reviews and youtube clips I've seen), the GenzBenz is a little too sterile/hifi.
It's the smallest between it, the Shuttle 3.0 10" Combo and the TecAmp Puma 10.
It'll be an easy one hand lift and can come with a nifty little shoulder bag.
It doesn't tie me to just a combo as it can be used as part of a modular set up, much like what I already have..

...and I found it for £479 on Thomann!

My mini rig will be up for sale very very soon!

Thanks for all your help guys very much appreciated :rolleyes:

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='866786' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:15 AM']Hey Bob,
Thanks for that!
Nice work there, very nice indeed :)

OK.

[b]I've decided that I'm going to go with the Ibanez Promethean[/b]

It sounds a little bit like the MarkBass which is good (from the reviews and youtube clips I've seen), the GenzBenz is a little too sterile/hifi.
It's the smallest between it, the Shuttle 3.0 10" Combo and the TecAmp Puma 10.
It'll be an easy one hand lift and can come with a nifty little shoulder bag.
It doesn't tie me to just a combo as it can be used as part of a modular set up, much like what I already have..

...and I found it for £479 on Thomann!

My mini rig will be up for sale very very soon!

Thanks for all your help guys very much appreciated :rolleyes:

Eude[/quote]

I saw that price yesterday, and almost pressed the buy button! Is that the definite price? As in thats the exact price converted from euros to sterling?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='866826' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:55 AM']I saw that price yesterday, and almost pressed the buy button! Is that the definite price? As in thats the exact price converted from euros to sterling?[/quote]

I believe so...
Even if it fluctuates a little, it's still a lot less than anywhere in the UK...
I've got a gig on the 18th, after that I'll try and shift my mini rig ASAP, then pull the trigger on the Promethean :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='866839' date='Jun 14 2010, 11:05 AM']I believe so...
Even if it fluctuates a little, it's still a lot less than anywhere in the UK...
I've got a gig on the 18th, after that I'll try and shift my mini rig ASAP, then pull the trigger on the Promethean :)

Eude[/quote]

Its is MEGA cheap, ive got to admit.

Some of their Markbass amps are at low-ish prices as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='866844' date='Jun 14 2010, 11:10 AM']Some of their Markbass amps are at low-ish prices as well.[/quote]

Not cheap enough I'm afraid :)

The Ibanez ticks every possible box though...
Very Compact (quite a bit smaller than my GS112)
Lightweight (sub 30lbs)
Tilt Back
Loud (500W at 4 Ohms)
Expandable (Speaker Out)
Removable Head
Headphone Out
Aux In

...and from what I've read/heard it has a similar sound to the LittleMark.

Eude

I agree with you about the hifi sound of the Genz Benz - the only youtube i found of it, i didn't like the sound. However i found some videos of the Promethean, and like you said, it sounds like a Markbass! We use a Markbass CMD121H in my Jazz band (unfortunately it isn't mine :)) and the Promethean was very similar to the 121H - shocked me a little bit!

[quote name='oliverw92' post='867299' date='Jun 14 2010, 07:06 PM']I agree with you about the hifi sound of the Genz Benz - the only youtube i found of it, i didn't like the sound. However i found some videos of the Promethean, and like you said, it sounds like a Markbass! We use a Markbass CMD121H in my Jazz band (unfortunately it isn't mine :)) and the Promethean was very similar to the 121H - shocked me a little bit![/quote]

The Genz is VERY clean and quite Hifi. Great for certain players. Markbass has a little more warmth, and great pure sound.

[quote name='oliverw92' post='867385' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:18 PM']You going to get the carry case combo Eude? [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p5110_promethean_bundle.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p5110_promethean_bundle.htm[/url][/quote]

Yeah man, great minds :rolleyes:
May as well, I'll only go out and get it later on if I don't get it now...

Got a gig on Friday, then I'll get my current setup up for sale :)

Eude

[quote name='oliverw92' post='867428' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:53 PM']I will most likely get it end of this week, so I will let you know what I think of it if i get it before you[/quote]

Awesome dude, or should I say, you lucky sod :)
Fingers crossed I'll be able to order in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='The inglourious bass turd' post='869088' date='Jun 16 2010, 02:42 PM']Promethean sounds great - Thomanns out of stock currently though - great combo for the money - reckon I'll be going for that too![/quote]

Can't find a bad review of it and all the youtube videos I've found, it sounds pretty darn good too.
The wait for stock gives me time to oragnise the reddies :)

Eude

Update...

Mini Rig - SOLD.
Posting out today and tomorrow, once it's all arrive and folks are happy, I'll be ordering me my very own little Promethean Combo.
Can't freakin' wait, although I'll have to, as Thomann won't have it in stock till the 1st of July, still don't have any more gigs till the 11th of August, but how the hell am I going to annoy my neighbours in the meantime...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='874200' date='Jun 22 2010, 10:13 AM']Update...

Mini Rig - SOLD.
Posting out today and tomorrow, once it's all arrive and folks are happy, I'll be ordering me my very own little Promethean Combo.
Can't freakin' wait, although I'll have to, as Thomann won't have it in stock till the 1st of July, still don't have any more gigs till the 11th of August, but how the hell am I going to annoy my neighbours in the meantime...

Eude[/quote]They are wicked looking combos and what a great spec. 500w amp, with extension capabilities, wow!
£550? interested. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='874205' date='Jun 22 2010, 10:18 AM']They are wicked looking combos and what a great spec. 500w amp, with extension capabilities, wow!
£550? interested. :)[/quote]

£499 on Thomann with a rather fetching Man Bag to carry it around in >>
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p5110_promethean_bundle.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p5110_promethean_bundle.htm[/url]

Eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='880445' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:22 PM']I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it...[/quote]

Yeah, I'll be sure to pop a proper review up once I've spent some time with it.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='881588' date='Jun 30 2010, 08:12 AM']Wouldn't mind trying it against my CMD112P[/quote]

If I could've stretched to it, I probably would've gone for a MarkBass 12" combo, but they're way out of my price range :)
Would be nice if MarkBass came out with a 10" combo, along the lines of their acoustic range, instead of those weird 6" driver amps...
Thankfully, the Ibanez is as powerful, on paper, a fair bit lighter and more compact, and it sounds a bit MarkBass'y.

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='eude' post='880390' date='Jun 28 2010, 09:45 PM']Promethean P5110 combo and "man bag" ordered from Thomann.
Let the anxious waiting begin... :)

Eude[/quote]

You'll love the combo mate. I find it to be a very versatile and practical unit at a fantastic price point. The fact that the head is removable is a real bonus and is what sold it for me. I find I don't need to use the EQ much as it's quite a clean amp, so a good bass will shine through it.

The features such as mute, selectable EQ and vibe settings means you can have a variety of tone options 'on tap' easily just with the flick of a switch. The 'man-bag' is very useful and very well made and makes for a nice complete package. I personally feel it could do with some grab handles on the side as you can only lift it with the long strap. A bit awkward in and out of deep boot spaces, but that is a minor gripe. Overall a nice compact and useable unit for small venue gigs, stick an extension speaker on and you're rocking :rolleyes:

I've had a MB CMD112P in the past and the Promethean is slightly heavier but in the same size range. The Promethean is also built like a tank and does remind me a lot of the earlier SWR Working Pro combos. Everything about the unit feels well made and well thought out, and I think this is reflected in Ibanez's long history of successful guitar making etc. They'll obviously listened to what consumers want and have made it.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='881637' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM']You'll love the combo mate. I find it to be a very versatile and practical unit at a fantastic price point. The fact that the head is removable is a real bonus and is what sold it for me. I find I don't need to use the EQ much as it's quite a clean amp, so a good bass will shine through it.

The features such as mute, selectable EQ and vibe settings means you can have a variety of tone options 'on tap' easily just with the flick of a switch. The 'man-bag' is very useful and very well made and makes for a nice complete package. I personally feel it could do with some grab handles on the side as you can only lift it with the long strap. A bit awkward in and out of deep boot spaces, but that is a minor gripe. Overall a nice compact and useable unit for small venue gigs, stick an extension speaker on and you're rocking :)

I've had a MB CMD112P in the past and the Promethean is slightly heavier but in the same size range. The Promethean is also built like a tank and does remind me a lot of the earlier SWR Working Pro combos. Everything about the unit feels well made and well thought out, and I think this is reflected in Ibanez's long history of successful guitar making etc. They'll obviously listened to what consumers want and have made it.[/quote]

Thanks for that Derren :rolleyes:
I can't bloomin wait!...

Eude

Ta for the info, Derren.

Quick question - I know this is probably pushing the laws of physics given the combo's size, but how do you think the combo alone would cope with a fairly low-volume band rehearsal, or an acoustic-ish open mic night with a quiet drummer?