Why become a member? ×

"Pro Level" small lightweight combo

eude

[quote name='ahpook' post='862401' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:41 PM']there's a workingman's 15 combo [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWR-Workingmans-Series-15-Bass-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-/120574567845?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1c12cde5a5"]on ebay at the moment[/url]

edit: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWR-workingman-15-/170496223479?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item27b25de8f7"]and another[/url][/quote]

Bit too big dude.
Plus if I was going for an SWR it'd be the Working Pro 10" - looks right nice, unless a Baby Blue sneaks up on me :)

Eude

[quote name='The Burpster' post='862423' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:59 PM']Eude I had the same dilemma as you but I made my practice box of doom myself as what I wanted just wasnt't available...

Used a @@@ked Rolland cube 30x as the donor cab. Stripped it and made a (mesa cribbed design) mount in the back for a PJB D-200.
Re kitted it with a new Celestion green Ceramic mag 10" 200w speaker and recovered it in tolex. sound wise it was a bit too clean and hi fi for me so now I have a DHA VT-1 through the effects loop to give it that 'valve pre-amp' tone......

Whilst its not a Mesa, it is remarkably light, compact and loud enough........ My g'tarist who is very critical is very impressed with it.

If you can find a @@@ked Roland cube to act as donor I have have no probs doing the mods to it so you can put the same bits (or a LMK 250 which was my other choice) in it.....

Just a thought......

I must get some pics of it and put it in the build diaries section..... :)[/quote]

I'd be really interested to see how that came out dude?
Sounds real interesting, plus I'd still get my "MarkBass Sound"...

Eude

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='862428' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:01 PM']Shameless plug:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90113"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90113[/url]

G.[/quote]

Never really got on with Ampeg kit unfortunately, plus I'd rather have a combo, nice try though :)

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='JTUK' post='862449' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:16 PM']how much smaller can you get than a LM amp and a single GS12.. and still kick out some decent noise..?[/quote]

A fair bit, amazingly!
A 10" will never generate as much bass as a 12", just the same as a 12" won't sound as big as a 15", but you can still generate useful volume and with the right cab design a decent amount of bassey goodness too.
I had a quick mess around with Paul's (Sugden) TecAmp Puma 10"er at the Moffat Bass Bash and I was might impressed.
That kind of amp would be my ideal, although I think the Ibanez and Genz Benz Shuttle offerings will be close, if not equal...

Don't forget, I'm looking for the best compromise between super small footprint for home use and useable features for live performance, I know it's a tall order, but I'm a fussy little b**ger :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='862336' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:54 PM']Yup, Sk8 already found one!...
I'm going to have to scour the interweb for a comparison between the Ibanez and the Shuttle...

Eude[/quote]I thank you :)

I wouldn't stress about a combo, there are so many great little amps around now. My vote would be a Euphonic Audio head, (used 500?) and a wizzy 1x12 or Barefaced Midget. My GK MB150 still surprises me...but every now and then it sounds crap! All depends on the room.

My other suggestion is the old SWR 220 head - its a puny 160w into 8 ohms, but a small modern 4ohm cab could sound very good and plenty loud?

[quote name='BassBod' post='862596' date='Jun 9 2010, 08:48 PM']I wouldn't stress about a combo, there are so many great little amps around now. My vote would be a Euphonic Audio head, (used 500?) and a wizzy 1x12 or Barefaced Midget. My GK MB150 still surprises me...but every now and then it sounds crap! All depends on the room.

My other suggestion is the old SWR 220 head - its a puny 160w into 8 ohms, but a small modern 4ohm cab could sound very good and plenty loud?[/quote]

I have to admit, you might be best off with a really nice amp and a super small/light cabinet. That way its not just a combo and works out better value.

[quote name='BassBod' post='862596' date='Jun 9 2010, 08:48 PM']I wouldn't stress about a combo, there are so many great little amps around now. My vote would be a Euphonic Audio head, (used 500?) and a wizzy 1x12 or Barefaced Midget. My GK MB150 still surprises me...but every now and then it sounds crap! All depends on the room.

My other suggestion is the old SWR 220 head - its a puny 160w into 8 ohms, but a small modern 4ohm cab could sound very good and plenty loud?[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='862599' date='Jun 9 2010, 08:52 PM']I have to admit, you might be best off with a really nice amp and a super small/light cabinet. That way its not just a combo and works out better value.[/quote]

I guess that's where the Ibanez and the Shuttle come into play.
They're a lot more flexible and give the option of building a modular set up.
Can you remove the head in the TecAmp jobbies?...

Thanks everyone for your help/opinions so far by the way :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='862485' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:49 PM']I'd be really interested to see how that came out dude?
Sounds real interesting, plus I'd still get my "MarkBass Sound"...

Eude[/quote]

I'll do some pics tomoro eve. I've been out for dinner tonite as its my birthday........ :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='862664' date='Jun 9 2010, 09:55 PM']I'll do some pics tomoro eve. I've been out for dinner tonite as its my birthday........ :rolleyes:[/quote]

Happy Birthday Dude! :)

The current SWR baby blue equivalent is the spellbinder blue, a bit out of your price range though I believe. I'd go for a headlite and a golight 2x10 any day, best sounding SWR rig I have ever owned, even better sound than the SM-1500.

Edited by BTGAndy

The tecamp head is not removable unless you modified the top plate and did a bit of rewiring. Far from impossible but not entirely trivial either.

It's perfectly possible to get adequately bassy 10"s, but you sacrifice volume - hence 8x10"s have 8 of them! But enough is as good as a feast. Both tecamp combos are so light that it's the size of the 10" one that's more significant as an advantage over the 12, rather than the weight. Both are great. The 12" unit sounds better in the mid-range, I think because the crossover/mid unit matches the 12" driver better than the 10". That mid unit means the clarity is excellent

i've got a genz benz shuttle 6.0 with a genz cab (not a lightweight)
its a great rig super portable, really good quality and even though
the cab is not one of the new extra light versions its very light
and easy to lift for its size. i would really recommend a secondhand
genz rig or even just the head to start with

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='862798' date='Jun 10 2010, 12:22 AM']The tecamp head is not removable unless you modified the top plate and did a bit of rewiring. Far from impossible but not entirely trivial either.

It's perfectly possible to get adequately bassy 10"s, but you sacrifice volume - hence 8x10"s have 8 of them! But enough is as good as a feast. Both tecamp combos are so light that it's the size of the 10" one that's more significant as an advantage over the 12, rather than the weight. Both are great. The 12" unit sounds better in the mid-range, I think because the crossover/mid unit matches the 12" driver better than the 10". That mid unit means the clarity is excellent[/quote]

Thanks for that dude.
I think, to be honest, the TecAmp 10" would still be my preferred option if I can get hold of one.
However, I did find a group test on youtube comparing the Shuttle 6.0, Ibanez Promethean and TC 450 heads and I really liked the sound of the Ibanez...

[quote name='hagguy' post='862859' date='Jun 10 2010, 07:23 AM']i've got a genz benz shuttle 6.0 with a genz cab (not a lightweight)
its a great rig super portable, really good quality and even though
the cab is not one of the new extra light versions its very light
and easy to lift for its size. i would really recommend a secondhand
genz rig or even just the head to start with[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion dude, but I've already got a mini rig of that size, I need something even more compact, something I can "carry on" using public transport, bit of a tall order I know, but a standalone head and cab ain't an option, unless it's one that slots in to make a combo like the Shuttle 3.0 10"er or the Ibanez Promethean...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='862881' date='Jun 10 2010, 08:30 AM']Thanks for that dude.
I think, to be honest, the TecAmp 10" would still be my preferred option if I can get hold of one.
However, I did find a group test on youtube comparing the Shuttle 6.0, Ibanez Promethean and TC 450 heads and I really liked the sound of the Ibanez...

Thanks for the suggestion dude, but I've already got a mini rig of that size, I need something even more compact, something I can "carry on" using public transport, bit of a tall order I know, but a standalone head and cab ain't an option, unless it's one that slots in to make a combo like the Shuttle 3.0 10"er or the Ibanez Promethean...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

have a look at a line 6 110 studio i had one really regret selling it
75 watts in a tiny package will easily do the job or getting on a bus or
train plus it has an out to hook up to a pa if needed, can get one brand new
for £180 from GAK

A GK MB150 sound's pretty good on it's own but will sound better with the extension cab.

As you already own a GS112, I'd go with JTUK and suggest you just get an LM2 or 3. That'll get you a much better sound than any combo in your price and weight range.

I just read the words "public transport" earlier in the thread!

A bass pulls my arm/shoulder off after 50 yards so I would add a folding trolley and some straps to my previous suggestion.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='862965' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:40 AM']I just read the words "public transport" earlier in the thread!

A bass pulls my arm/shoulder off after 50 yards so I would add a folding trolley and some straps to my previous suggestion.[/quote]

I take my cab on the PT, so it's gotta be light.. I think man needs the Ibanez... ;-)

Good luck

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='862288' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:27 PM']The Ibanez Promethean is a great little amp, and the fact that the head is removable like a Walkabout Scout makes it very versatile for me. There's also a nice gig bag for it, making it a nice all in one solution. If you're ever passing Blackburn you're welcome to try it out.

Back to topic though... don't for the Acoustic Image range of combos... you may (not very likely mind) get an early one in that price bracket. If you had a grand to spend, theres a second had Mesa Scout at Bass Direct :rolleyes:[/quote]
theres a second had Mesa Scout at Bass Direct ohmy.gif

No theres not :)

[quote name='tino' post='863567' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:25 PM']theres a second had Mesa Scout at Bass Direct ohmy.gif

No theres not :)[/quote]

Would love one those, but they ain't too light and they're certainly well out of my price range...

[quote name='eude' post='863897' date='Jun 11 2010, 12:20 AM']Would love one those, but they ain't too light and they're certainly well out of my price range...[/quote]

.......and thats why I built my practice amp combo. I didnt want to keep lugging my Walkabout scout about and dinking it and wrenching my shoulder!

I WILL get you some pics ofmine done today....!

I use the SWR ST-220 head, Very light and crystal clear. Its very loud too with a 4ohm cab where it gives out the full 220w...

Recomended! There is one on ebay now... These were discontinued in 1998 and the Bass Galery has one for £400???

J. :)