Why become a member? ×

John East 'P Retro'

Dusty

Hi fellow Bass Chatters.....

Just discovered that John has just started making a 'P' bass Active System :rolleyes:

Have always fancied owning one of the Lakland Joe Osborns with the system fitted and tried to get hold of
a DPLE last week without success ! :)

So... might have to put one of these gizmos in the Duck Dunn !

Anyone out there bought / tried one of these ???

Edited by Dusty

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='855347' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:39 PM']Are you sure? He flogged me the active parts from his Precision Special as he said he was strictly a passive guy...[/quote]
When I met up with Chris a few weeks ago he was definitely considering a P-retro. I don't know whether he actually got one.

I have one in my Bravewood. I like it so much I'm also putting one in my Alleva Coppolo.

It's a classic bit of John East kit. When you don't need it, it's not there. When you do need it, click ... and you have everything you're likely to need.

Fully reversible, too. Leaves no sign that it was ever there.

Hi,

It was me that did the review in this month's Bass Guitar Magazine. I did some comparison recordings which are now on the BGM website here:

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=429:p-retro&catid=48:demos&Itemid=102"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...&Itemid=102[/url]

Cheers,

Andrew

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='855347' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:39 PM']Are you sure? He flogged me the active parts from his Precision Special as he said he was strictly a passive guy...[/quote]

LOL, me and my ever changing ways eh James!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='855489' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:23 PM']When I met up with Chris a few weeks ago he was definitely considering a P-retro. I don't know whether he actually got one.[/quote]

Yep, and I now have two Dave!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='855563' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:50 PM']I have one in my Bravewood. I like it so much I'm also putting one in my Alleva Coppolo.

It's a classic bit of John East kit. When you don't need it, it's not there. When you do need it, click ... and you have everything you're likely to need.

Fully reversible, too. Leaves no sign that it was ever there.[/quote]

Jack pretty much sums it up. I was aiming to write a full review at some stage but haven't had the time recently. I will say that although I loved the tone straight away, it took me a few weeks to appreciate just how elegant a solution to the Precision pre-amp problem this unit is. John hasn't simply built a circuit on the old treble/mid/bass model, he's clearly thought very hard about what Precision players actually need from a pre-amp, and has excelled himself with the design.

Chris

Two stacked knobs.

Where the volume knob would usually be, the stacked knob has three functions:
1. Outer/lower ring = tone
2. Inner/upper knob = volume
3. Pull the inner = go to active mode (adding about 3dB when flat)

Where the tone knob would usually be, the stacked knob has three functions:
1. Outer/lower ring = frequency sweep
2. Inner/upper knob = boost & cut (see below)
3. Pull the inner = go to pre-set bass boost

The bit I love is the boost & cut. It's not an EQ-type device; think of it as a flat central [i]detente [/i]which goes increasingly "smiley face" if you roll clockwise, and increasingly "frowney face" if you roll anti.

Can you dial in any tone you want? No. What you get is the sound of a P-bass, but modified. If you're on stage with the pre-amp flat and you're not cutting through, just roll on the smiley face to get a more scooped sound. If that doesn't cut through, no worries, roll the other way to get the frowney face and boost the mids instead.

Logically, if one setting doesn't work, then the other one [i][b]must [/b][/i]do. You can then fine-tune it with the frequency sweep.

I'm a great believer in [i]keep it simple[/i], and the P-Retro does just that. In a real live-on-stage situation, it does exactly what you need it to do, and with minimal fuss.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='857487' date='Jun 4 2010, 05:27 PM']The bit I love is the boost & cut. It's not an EQ-type device; think of it as a flat central [i]detente [/i]which goes increasingly "smiley face" if you roll clockwise, and increasingly "frowney face" if you roll anti.[/quote]

Good summary above Jack. It's probably more accurate to describe the control in question as a contour really. I see your point as, unless it's in the centre it's always boosting something whilst cutting something else, but I think the beauty of the unit is that it isn't a simple boost/cut model.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='857495' date='Jun 4 2010, 05:37 PM']Good, please let me know when you are selling one. :)[/quote]

Fair point (although as I'm now a two bass man I think these are both staying put)

C

Bought one the other day, fitted it today and it sounds amazing. The only problem is it doesn't fit properly due to the battery compartment I have fitted for the LEDS in my P Bass neck

I'm not going to chop the bass up any more than it is so will sell the P Retro on and am seriosuly peed off.

Gutted :)

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='856395' date='Jun 3 2010, 06:32 PM']Hi,

It was me that did the review in this month's Bass Guitar Magazine. I did some comparison recordings which are now on the BGM website here:

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=429:p-retro&catid=48:demos&Itemid=102"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...&Itemid=102[/url]

Cheers,

Andrew[/quote]

Andrew - great review thanks.

Nice playing as well, I really enjoyed it.

It definitely makes a difference and I think the whole design is excellent as it still retains that classic P thump without coming across too modern.

As mentioned above, Im not modder, so if it came in pedal format Id buy it. Ohhh...the possibilites! Add a DI and youve got a great DI box :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='865083' date='Jun 12 2010, 12:09 PM']Bought one the other day, fitted it today and it sounds amazing. The only problem is it doesn't fit properly due to the battery compartment I have fitted for the LEDS in my P Bass neck

I'm not going to chop the bass up any more than it is so will sell the P Retro on and am seriosuly peed off.

Gutted :)[/quote]

I don't think you'll have to wait around for a buyer!

I'm hoping to add one to my double P, but finances are a bit tight at the moment.