Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jaguar

gnasher1993

The biggest problem with this, and most new things Squier seems to be bringing out, is that there is only one choice of colour scheme. I'm also not quite sure why it's part of the VM range, it's not based on any sort of vintage bass, if IIRC the Jaguar bass only came out in the 2000's.

[quote name='Tait' post='901427' date='Jul 21 2010, 10:52 PM']The biggest problem with this, and most new things Squier seems to be bringing out, is that there is only one choice of colour scheme. I'm also not quite sure why it's part of the VM range, it's not based on any sort of vintage bass, if IIRC the Jaguar bass only came out in the 2000's.[/quote]
Fair point but perhaps it's a 1960 stack-knob Jazz that's been modified with a Jaguar body and pickguard and a P pickup. :)

[quote name='basshead56' post='900325' date='Jul 20 2010, 06:07 PM']I wonder if its actually in, or its a pre-order situation?[/quote]
According to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93738"]one of our friendly affiliates[/url], the first shipment is expected in September.

I'm seriously contemplating getting one of these as a stand-by for my p-bass (which has a j-pup fitted too) & if need be switching the pups and fitting a badass.

Ive emailed sounds live to see what their lead-time is and when they might expect to have one in store in the toon so I can try before I buy.

I'll let everyone know what I hear back from them and will let yous know when I've had a chance to have a shot.....

Edited by Jambo

So fellas,

Help me out here. I've recently sold my Fender Aerodyne to help pay for a USA G & L L2000 that i have just purchased. Well, after hearing how great these new squiers are for the money, i can afford to get one to bolster up my collection of currently 1 bass, the G & L. Im going to buy one bass and it's going to be either a Tribby G & L L2000, Squier VMJ Fretless, Squier CVJ or wait for one of these new Squier Jag's?

I feel that with th p/j pickup combo on offer with the jag and it being passive, it could replace my old Aerodyne almost like for like. The Tribby is not going to offer vastly different tones from my USA model, although it is fretless, and im sure that would make a differenc. I've read loads of great reviews about the Squier VMJ but dont really like the looks and the CVJ just looks out and out gorgeous, and having seen Ed Friedlands comparison video, thought it sounded very good. But im still no nearer deciding. Do you think that CVJ's pickups sound better than the VM series pickups, I know that the basswood body will certainly be better quality. What one would you get?

Cheers,

Mat

[quote name='mashup' post='909509' date='Jul 29 2010, 06:22 PM']So fellas,

Help me out here. I've recently sold my Fender Aerodyne to help pay for a USA G & L L2000 that i have just purchased. Well, after hearing how great these new squiers are for the money, i can afford to get one to bolster up my collection of currently 1 bass, the G & L. Im going to buy one bass and it's going to be either a Tribby G & L L2000, Squier VMJ Fretless, Squier CVJ or wait for one of these new Squier Jag's?

I feel that with th p/j pickup combo on offer with the jag and it being passive, it could replace my old Aerodyne almost like for like. The Tribby is not going to offer vastly different tones from my USA model, although it is fretless, and im sure that would make a differenc. I've read loads of great reviews about the Squier VMJ but dont really like the looks and the CVJ just looks out and out gorgeous, and having seen Ed Friedlands comparison video, thought it sounded very good. But im still no nearer deciding. [b]Do you think that CVJ's pickups sound better than the VM series pickups, I know that the basswood body will certainly be better quality. What one would you get?[/b]

Cheers,

Mat[/quote]
Mat, dunno if this will help you any, but...

I've got a CVJ and a [u]fretted [/u]VMJ. I wouldn't say the pups on the CVJ sound better than the "Duncan Designed" jobbies on the VMJ, but they do sound different. Both basses are strung with light gauge Fender flats, and everything else being equal (control settings and amp EQ), the CVJ sounds really mellow while the VMJ sounds more punchy and vibrant. Obviously we're also talking about different body / neck / fingerboard materials as well as pups, but I don't want to open that particular can of worms here! :lol: I wouldn't say that I prefer the sound of one over the other, but just at the moment I'm tending to reach for the VMJ first. :rolleyes:

As for the relative quality of the bodies, my VMJ has a nicely matched two-piece body, and to my eyes looks pretty darn perfect, though it is noticeably heavier than the CVJ. There again, this probably doesn't really help you as I believe the [u]fretless [/u]VMJ uses a different body wood again (and which just happens to be the same as the eagerly-awaited VM Jaguar)... :)

Edited by tony_m

Squier finally updated their website .... WOW, all 3 basses look cool: [url="http://squierguitars.com/news/index.php?display_article=146"]http://squierguitars.com/news/index.php?display_article=146[/url]

Jaguar already ordered some weeks ago .... still waiting .... G.A.S. ..... cold turkey, now i want them all.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='basshead56' post='926321' date='Aug 16 2010, 12:05 PM']Thomann already have em for sale. And as far as I can see, most online retailers have listed today as the day of arrival.
Anyone been lucky enough to get their mits on one yet?![/quote]

I was gonna but then I got something completely different in the end see this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99006"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99006[/url]

[quote name='urbanx' post='900843' date='Jul 21 2010, 11:43 AM']Still not a real Jag, it's about 30 knobs and switches light![/quote]

Indeed. Its not like the CV range where the original Fender that its modelled after only have the standard number of pots. The jag has a serious number of switch options. Id rather have them charge £50 more and give us the active/passive choice.

[quote name='Tait' post='901427' date='Jul 21 2010, 10:52 PM']The biggest problem with this, and most new things Squier seems to be bringing out, is that there is only one choice of colour scheme. I'm also not quite sure why it's part of the VM range, it's not based on any sort of vintage bass, if IIRC the Jaguar bass only came out in the 2000's.[/quote]

Well the jaguar bass is based on the jaguar guitar range which is based on the jazzmaster guitars which release in the 60s IIRC

So it very loosely vintage. Also fender don't really modern anymore cause they arnt very good at it.

The VM-Jags do exist - but for some reason the photos of them have all be excised from the sites that are pre-selling them here in the US.

The Fender Squier site still has them posted fer sure!

These are the new VMs and that Jag is 'The Bass That Never Was"

There appears to be no variations on color or other details yet. But if Fender is using the Squier lineup to keep it's doors open and some of the better luthiers working - then more power to them.

The high-end basses aren't selling in this economy and these $300USD basses are flying out of the stores as fast as they hit.

Good-on for Fender to see the need and fulfill the desire for some new blood in the way of designs that are blowing people away and making those with the big dollar basses take notice.

Rumor has it that Fender USA will move all it's manufacturing outside of the US borders - prolly Mexico as the labor base is better there and quite frankly, MIM has really gotten it's act together with quality control.

I bought my MIM Deluxe and it has a US neck and electronics - so who's to say they aren't as good. Mine certainly sings well and I can't see the additional cash just to get a body and finishing done in the US.
]

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='926816' date='Aug 16 2010, 08:37 PM']Hopefully if the jag is popular enough warmoth will start doing jag bodies...If I can sell my 5 string then I may have to get one of these jags, but I might just get a status neck for my jazz an pocket the rest of the money...[/quote]

Warmoth can do Jaguar bodies ... read this thread: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685566&highlight=jaguar"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...ighlight=jaguar[/url]

[quote name='Jambo' post='948908' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:24 PM']well......shhhhhh....but these are in the uk as I type....got a phone call this afternoon.... :)

REVIEW TOMORROW (fingers crossed)[/quote]

Cool, still waiting for my Jaguar ordered back in July ....

Edited by bass_ennyday

Well they ARE here!

Tried it......bought it within 20 mins.....had it a praco tonite....the frets need dressing but out of the box it plays good.

An interesting touch is on the concentric pots.....the base of these where you dial in your tone are notched.

All in all its nicely weighted, well finished and put together.....very pleasantly suprised initially.....will try to get some photos up in the next few days and give a few more thoughts.....

[quote name='Jambo' post='950109' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:56 PM']Well they ARE here!

Tried it......bought it within 20 mins.....had it a praco tonite....the frets need dressing but out of the box it plays good.

An interesting touch is on the concentric pots.....the base of these where you dial in your tone are notched.

All in all its nicely weighted, well finished and put together.....very pleasantly suprised initially.....will try to get some photos up in the next few days and give a few more thoughts.....[/quote]

But what does it SOUND like dude?

Tonally, I havent A-B compared against my P bass yet....on its own, though there is a good frequency sweep across both pups & the p and j sounds are there.

My initial reaction is that these are good puppies! (they are "seymour duncan designed" quite hot, 1/4lb sounding.....this was being pushed through my Ampeg mind which was driving a bit....ill give more info after a headphone test this weekend....heres a few snaps too....