Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jaguar

gnasher1993

[quote name='Marvin' post='869980' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:11 PM']There are going to be a lot of very disappointed people if it's not real. :)[/quote]

Well it seems like the USA bass players will be disappointed even if it is real. According to the rumours anyway.

Munk, This bass is a lot closer to what i want than a Aerodyne will ever be. And for me the real deal isnt readily available and would be way out of my price range if i had ot get one made.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='869986' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:15 PM']Why bother with something thats close to what you want or always wanted,,,cos lets face it, you will always want the real deal.

OH aye CHECK MA SIG BITCHES hahahahahaha[/quote]

One reason, for me anyway, money. Take the Squire VMJ, a cracking bass at a cracking price and cheaper than most 2nd hand Fenders I could get my grubby mitts on.

Your 'SIG BITCHES' btw, you've got an Epi EB-1! :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='869992' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:21 PM']Munk, This bass is a lot closer to what i want than a Aerodyne will ever be. And for me the real deal isnt readily available and would be way out of my price range if i had ot get one made.[/quote]

well its exaclty a mix of the aerodyne and the jag, its just as much one as it is the other,,,,,,,,,,,except the jag and aerodyne dont have that nasty [s]rash[/s] squire decal on the headstock

The name on the headstock doesn't matter as long as it's a decent bass. I've been really impressed by some of the Squiers I've played in the last few years - some have even been nicer put together than MIM Fenders. I'd be happy to gig any of them.

[quote name='Marvin' post='869994' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:24 PM']One reason, for me anyway, money. Take the Squire VMJ, a cracking bass at a cracking price and cheaper than most 2nd hand Fenders I could get my grubby mitts on.

Your 'SIG BITCHES' btw, you've got an Epi EB-1! :) :lol:[/quote]

not anymore. tht was a wee pit stop try it out bass.....its now probably going to be doing its tour of basschat as it left me this morning :rolleyes:

edit for sig update.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='869996' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:25 PM']well its exaclty a mix of the aerodyne and the jag, its just as much one as it is the other,,,,,,,,,,,except the jag and aerodyne dont have that nasty [s]rash[/s] squire decal on the headstock[/quote]

The Squier name is not a problem for me. Ive sold my Laklands and USA Fender and now gig with a Squier. No shame in having a bass that looks good, sounds good and plays good.

In a previous post i said how much i loved blocks. Cant see them on the Aerodyne. I also dont like basses with no pick guard. I know the Jap Aerodyne has one but its not in the same price range (i hope).
Like i said, its not perfect but its closer than the Aerodyne.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='869996' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:25 PM']well its exaclty a mix of the aerodyne and the jag, its just as much one as it is the other[/quote]

i take this back,,,its more aerodyne than jag. only thing resembling a jag is its body!!!!!!!!!!

i wonder why they didnt call it the squier VM aerodyne. i feel its the switch combination and chrome that really gives the jag its wow factor, plus these preamp switches were taken from the original guitar model.............

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='869996' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:25 PM']well its exaclty a mix of the aerodyne and the jag, its just as much one as it is the other,,,,,,,,,,,except the jag and aerodyne dont have that nasty [s]rash[/s] squire decal on the headstock[/quote]

Steve man, calm your knickers! :)

The name on the end of the bass matters not a jot. I have a 08 Us P and a VMJ which I have upgraded with a new bridge and a better set of tuners but the bass feels and sounds great even with the stock pickups and it`s the VMJ that I`ll be gigging on friday. Nothing against the P but the neck on the VMJ is a diva, perfect for my small hands. The new Squires are really as good as people say!

And as for Jags, I have said this before, I had one and was well disapointed with it and ended up moving it on. The worst active circut I have ever used on a bass. And do you know what, I haven`t regretted getting rid of it for a second.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='870288' date='Jun 17 2010, 10:14 PM']Steve man, calm your knickers! :)

The name on the end of the bass matters not a jot. I have a 08 Us P and a VMJ which I have upgraded with a new bridge and a better set of tuners but the bass feels and sounds great even with the stock pickups and it`s the VMJ that I`ll be gigging on friday. Nothing against the P but the neck on the VMJ is a diva. The new Squires are really as good as people say!

And as for Jags, I have said this before, I had one and was well disapointed with it and ended up moving it on. The worst active circut I have ever used on a bass. And do you know what, I haven`t regretted getting rid of it for a second.

Jez[/quote]

Hahaha I do feel I may have got on my soapbox a bit. It may be because im on holiday however im actually getting up earlier than normal with my 11month son hahaha.

owell its done now in interweb world

some dude at [url="http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34824&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20"]shortscale.org[/url] posted a price 450 GBP he said, later he mentioned 400 GPB .... i talked to a Fender guy in Germany last week, he told me 300 - 350 GPB (converted from Euro) ... i think that price already included tax.

( a ) so, that VM Jag is an active bass? can you tell from the given specs if those pickups are ok?

( b ) what about the bridge? a black BasAssII bridge would look (and also sound???) killer on that bass.

( c ) other modding ideas (hahahaha, ok - little early .... lets wait and hear the bass first)

Edited by bass_ennyday

Having a tone for each pup is such a fantastic idea! Especially given that one of them's a P pup, you'd get that traditional P thump tone with it, then a nice clear jazzy tone on the bridge, perfect! I might have to wait an get one of these instead of the VMJ I was planning on getting...it doesn't look quite as nice imo, an I've also heard horror stories of Agathis bodies, but I've got a spare pair of strap locks, so it shouldn't be a problem...

Ooooh, such a hard decision! Maybe after I sell my 5string I should just buy one of these as well?...Yea, I like that idea.

It's more squier precision special, than anything else....

Just the body shape determines it's name. Squier used to do a precision 5 string, but it had jazz pickups, so it was no more precision than my watch was rolex.

Bashing aside. Judging from the rest of the VM series it should be good.

As for the fender jag bass. I know the active circuit is abit on the miserable side, but used as a bass/treble boost it's pretty useful. I can pull some awesome 2band EQ stingray tones with the circuit and the lead pickup solo'd.
Still it's an amazing bass passive, it sounds so deep and full. for the money I don't think there is a better bass fender does with the same features, for the same money, plus mine came beautifully set up (apparantly N.K setup the action)

It would be unfair to compare the squier jag to the fender version.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='871398' date='Jun 19 2010, 12:47 AM']It's more squier precision special, than anything else....

Just the body shape determines it's name. Squier used to do a precision 5 string, but it had jazz pickups, so it was no more precision than my watch was rolex.

Bashing aside. Judging from the rest of the VM series it should be good.

As for the fender jag bass. I know the active circuit is abit on the miserable side, but used as a bass/treble boost it's pretty useful. I can pull some awesome 2band EQ stingray tones with the circuit and the lead pickup solo'd.
Still it's an amazing bass passive, it sounds so deep and full. for the money I don't think there is a better bass fender does with the same features, for the same money, plus mine came beautifully set up (apparantly N.K setup the action)

It would be unfair to compare the squier jag to the fender version.[/quote]

I feel the best use of the active circuit is for when using my distortion pedal. Rather than trying to dial in a more trebly sound for a song before clicking in my distortion for a solo or something,,,all I do is whack the bass into active mode with the treble nice and boosted already. I know a EQ pedal would do the same thing,,,but why go to the expense of one of those when I already spent a few hundred quid on a bass that can do the same thing......

It goes to show how versatile these fender jags are and also important for people top learn the features of their basses and when you use them properly for your own function they really become an asset.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='871581' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:46 AM']I feel the best use of the active circuit is for when using my distortion pedal. Rather than trying to dial in a more trebly sound for a song before clicking in my distortion for a solo or something,,,all I do is whack the bass into active mode with the treble nice and boosted already. I know a EQ pedal would do the same thing,,,but why go to the expense of one of those when I already spent a few hundred quid on a bass that can do the same thing......

It goes to show how versatile these fender jags are and also important for people top learn the features of their basses and when you use them properly for your own function they really become an asset.[/quote]

indeed; for a while I used the boss BD-2 as a low gain drive and presetiing the active circuit to bass boost put pack those lows lost.

It's much easyier flicking a switch and engaging a pedal, than have to engage two (one being an eq).

If I did look to get one of these squiers I'd add a series switch, change the pups to something more vintage voiced, badass the bridge, also change the guard to black and add some more chrome (covers, plates. Whatever really)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='872345' date='Jun 20 2010, 02:12 AM']If I did look to get one of these squiers I'd add a series switch, change the pups to something more vintage voiced, badass the bridge, also change the guard to black and add some more chrome (covers, plates. Whatever really)[/quote]

wow man, thats a lot of modification ... think about custom build jaguar :)

I also would think about BadAssII bridge, in black. I will buy the Squier VM Jaguar for sure.

Definitely real. AND - Check the other link :)

[url="http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass.html"]http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Squier-Vin...aguar-Bass.html[/url]

[url="http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-77-Jazz-Bass.html"]http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Squier-Vin...-Jazz-Bass.html[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='873492' date='Jun 21 2010, 03:13 PM']Definitely real. AND - Check the other link :)

[url="http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass.html"]http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Squier-Vin...aguar-Bass.html[/url][/quote]

wow, 299 U$ (list 499 U$) .... good price and i hope it´s also a GOOD bass for that money.

But i expect (as always) higher prices here in europe.