Why become a member? ×

Happy ending!

grahamd

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='851345' date='May 29 2010, 06:49 PM']Fantastic to know it's back with the family. Can't wait until Felix Pastorius gets his hands on it![/quote]

I'll be honest, I don't know much about the Pastorius family and Felix in particular. Is he any good as a bassist? I imagine for him, its going to be an amazing experience to play it.

Goot on Rob in sorting this out.

I was thinking about this a bit more...I wondered if he'd told the owner he planned on being out of pocket by say...$100,000 to help the Pastorious family to settle the ownership of the instrument one way or another. So it was up to the owner to decide whether to accept the money as a reward for the return of the instrument, or leave the Pastorious family to spent it on legal fees...

...considering that John Entwhistles frankenbass went for 42,000 quid at Southerbys, I don't think $100k is unrealistic for a slice of music history.

[quote name='Linus27' post='851383' date='May 29 2010, 07:44 PM']I'll be honest, I don't know much about the Pastorius family and Felix in particular. Is he any good as a bassist? I imagine for him, its going to be an amazing experience to play it.

Goot on Rob in sorting this out.[/quote]
Get searching on YouTube for him, he really is something special.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='851545' date='May 30 2010, 12:31 AM']I was thinking about this a bit more...I wondered if he'd told the owner he planned on being out of pocket by say...$100,000 to help the Pastorious family to settle the ownership of the instrument one way or another. So it was up to the owner to decide whether to accept the money as a reward for the return of the instrument, or leave the Pastorious family to spent it on legal fees...

...considering that John Entwhistles frankenbass went for 42,000 quid at Southerbys, I don't think $100k is unrealistic for a slice of music history.[/quote]

I completely disagree with your view of pricing.

The reason being is that Entwistle was a member of The Who, who were massive in their heydays and known globally. Pastorius while a very good jazz bassist and did a lot for the instrument, is practically unknown outside of specific music circles.

Part of the value of Entwistles' was due to his fame and popularity, Jaco simply doesn't have that and won't command the same price imo.

[quote name='Buzz' post='851918' date='May 30 2010, 04:51 PM']I completely disagree with your view of pricing.

The reason being is that Entwistle was a member of The Who, who were massive in their heydays and known globally. Pastorius while a very good jazz bassist and did a lot for the instrument, is practically unknown outside of specific music circles.

Part of the value of Entwistles' was due to his fame and popularity, Jaco simply doesn't have that and won't command the same price imo.[/quote]

and £65 for a happy ending!?!?

[quote name='Buzz' post='851918' date='May 30 2010, 03:51 PM']I completely disagree with your view of pricing.

Part of the value of Entwistles' was due to his fame and popularity, Jaco simply doesn't have that and won't command the same price imo.[/quote]
er...thanks Buzz...

[quote name='Buzz' post='851918' date='May 30 2010, 04:51 PM']I completely disagree with your view of pricing.

He doesn't have to be popular among lots of people, he has to be popular among some very wealthy people.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='852099' date='May 30 2010, 08:33 PM']He doesn't have to be popular among lots of people, he has to be popular among some very wealthy people.[/quote]
Bear in mind also that Entwistle had dozens of basses - Jaco had one that recorded all his classic moments and arguably the most ground breaking bass solo album ever - yep, this one, The Bass of Doom

Its like saying one of Pete Townsend's countless Les pauls or SG's is worth at least as much as Eric Clapton's Blackie. It ain't. Period

[quote name='Clarky' post='852103' date='May 30 2010, 08:37 PM']Bear in mind also that Entwistle had dozens of basses - Jaco had one that recorded all his classic moments and arguably the most ground breaking bass solo album ever - yep, this one, The Bass of Doom

Its like saying one of Pete Townsend's countless Les pauls or SG's is worth at least as much as Eric Clapton's Blackie. It ain't. Period[/quote]

spot on Clarky, I have a book of Entwistles bass collection, goes on forever. Only one BOD innit