Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to '62 reissue Precision?

Romberg Bevel

I'm thinking of getting me a bass like this:

[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190116800"]Fender '62 Precision[/url]

but I'm not that keen on the price - I was thinking more like a third of what these retail at!

Are there any alternatives for a 'complete' P? I'm looking for one with the pickup/bridge covers and that, which would sit well with my MIA Jazz and Precision Deluxe - in other words, not crap.

Edited by Romberg Bevel

If you can find one, I'd be the first of many to suggest you seek out a Fender 'non-export' CIJ 62 P bass if you are particularly looking to save some pennies! Unfortunately now that Japan has had it's knuckles rapped, it's harder to get hold of new ones - but second hand ones come up on the forum every now and then. Indeed, I have a 70's US Vintage reissue P Bass of the 'non export' variety and it was about 500 quid to import about..well.. 3 years ago now. Big difference in the price of the US sort.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62459&hl=cij"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62459&hl=cij[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85043&hl=cij"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85043&hl=cij[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80859&hl=cij"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80859&hl=cij[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75717&hl=cij"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75717&hl=cij[/url]

Here's a few examples of CIJ basses, for your perusal (some sold)

[url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=2"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=2[/url]

I think this guy stocks some good stuff, although I've noticed a marked increase in the prices recently. Nice selection of P's and Jazzes!

[quote name='dood' post='847081' date='May 25 2010, 12:09 AM']If you can find one, I'd be the first of many to suggest you seek out a Fender 'non-export' CIJ 62 P bass if you are particularly looking to save some pennies! Unfortunately now that Japan has had it's knuckles rapped, it's harder to get hold of new ones - but second hand ones come up on the forum every now and then. Indeed, I have a 70's US Vintage reissue P Bass of the 'non export' variety and it was about 500 quid to import about..well.. 3 years ago now. Big difference in the price of the US sort.[/quote]

What Dood said. Have a word with Si (OldGit) - I've bought a couple of CIJ 62 Reissues from him for good money, and they're excellent basses. He often has a couple of nice CIJ basses for sale.

[quote name='dood' post='847081' date='May 25 2010, 12:09 AM']If you can find one, I'd be the first of many to suggest you seek out a Fender 'non-export' CIJ 62 P bass if you are particularly looking to save some pennies! Unfortunately now that Japan has had it's knuckles rapped, it's harder to get hold of new ones - but second hand ones come up on the forum every now and then. Indeed, I have a 70's US Vintage reissue P Bass of the 'non export' variety and it was about 500 quid to import about..well.. 3 years ago now. Big difference in the price of the US sort.[/quote]

What actually is the difference between a non export japanese and an export japanese? how do you tell which is which

[quote name='bumnote' post='847157' date='May 25 2010, 08:26 AM']What actually is the difference between a non export Japanese and an export Japanese? how do you tell which is which[/quote]

Might have one in a few weeks :lol:

The non export ones sometimes have a D for domestic in the neck pocket or on the neck bit that goes in the pocket. However the post 2000 ones I've had don't.
The easiest way to tell is to ask where it came from.
I import them myself, used, from Japan and therefore, of course, they were never exported :)
I don't think Fender Japan export to the UK any more. I've certainly not seen any new Japanese Fender basses for sale in UK stores for ages .. Anyone know for sure?

I'm afraid the exchange rate has plummeted over the last few years which is why the cost so much more now.

Still brilliant basses for the money though, in my rather biased opinion, and if you ask people like Tredders who have had US and Japanese 62RI's he'd say they stack up very well against the US one (which is loads more money) won't you Mark? :rolleyes:

But most of the Japanese ones I've seen have that horrible red tort scratchplate....which I find odd because it isn't a replica of the '62!!

So factor in another £40 to make it look good with a brown tort plate :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='847504' date='May 25 2010, 02:01 PM']But most of the Japanese ones I've seen have that horrible red tort scratchplate....which I find odd because it isn't a replica of the '62!!

So factor in another £40 to make it look good with a brown tort plate :)

Si[/quote]

+1, thats the only thing I didnt like on my old MIJ P 62 reissue I sold on. Very nice bass, especially for the money. The Red Tort was not a good look though, as Nigel will agree as he changed it straight away!

I'm not a great lover of the light red tort plate...

They generally don't have finger pull holes either which is odd as they have pup cover holes.

There's a nice dark tort plate that shows up now and then like this:

(my own 62 RI has one of those)

and a kind of medium dark one too .

Tredders' one had a med red plate and finger pull holes so they do vary a bit.

Plenty of "alternative" cheap plate suppliers around if you don't mind a bit of gentle trimming...

[quote name='OldGit' post='847501' date='May 25 2010, 01:58 PM']Might have one in a few weeks :rolleyes:

The non export ones sometimes have a D for domestic in the neck pocket or on the neck bit that goes in the pocket. However the post 2000 ones I've had don't.
The easiest way to tell is to ask where it came from.
I import them myself, used, from Japan and therefore, of course, they were never exported :)
I don't think Fender Japan export to the UK any more. I've certainly not seen any new Japanese Fender basses for sale in UK stores for ages .. Anyone know for sure?[/quote]

Ive got 2
a white 62 re issue I imported a couple of years ago direct from Japan, and a 2 tone sunburst still with the original tags with a selling price in madcap music of £574 which I believe was bought in the 90s. The tags are marked for export

I cant really notice any marked quality difference between either, I was just curious really as I have read before about domestic and non domestic products and wondered what the difference was.

I'm interested in this thread as someone may be able to answer a question that's been nagging away at me. I have an American Vintage 62 Reissue which is a faithful copy of the original bass. I was in a music shop and perused what was advertised as a Japanese 62 reissue. I did notice that this bass didn't have reverse tuners with the long stems and it also didn't have screw-type saddles. I suppose my question is: Do the Japanese reissues fall down a bit on accuracy or was the bass I was looking at a standard model being passed off as a reissue? Here's mine by the way:-

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Hutton' post='847604' date='May 25 2010, 03:43 PM']I'm interested in this thread as someone may be able to answer a question that's been nagging away at me. I have an American Vintage 62 Reissue which is a faithful copy of the original bass. I was in a music shop and perused what was advertised as a Japanese 62 reissue. I did notice that this bass didn't have reverse tuners with the long stems and it also didn't have screw-type saddles. I suppose my question is: Do the Japanese reissues fall down a bit on accuracy or was the bass I was looking at a standard model being passed off as a reissue?[/quote]

My re issue does not have reverse tuners and they are slightly different to the ones I have on my original 64. It does have a threaded bridge but I think I may have put that on myself

[quote name='Hutton' post='847604' date='May 25 2010, 03:43 PM']I'm interested in this thread as someone may be able to answer a question that's been nagging away at me. I have an American Vintage 62 Reissue which is a faithful copy of the original bass. I was in a music shop and perused what was advertised as a Japanese 62 reissue. I did notice that this bass didn't have reverse tuners with the long stems and it also didn't have screw-type saddles. I suppose my question is: Do the Japanese reissues fall down a bit on accuracy or was the bass I was looking at a standard model being passed off as a reissue? Here's mine by the way:-

[/quote]

The "Standard" is a different model and has a different headstock decal. S/N is usually on the heel with these. Made in Japan on the headstock.

There's at least two types of Fender Japan 62RI. Easy to tell the difference visually, especially if you hcan see the rear of the headstock.
Thecheaper one has Japanese hardware and pickups. Non reverse tuners (no rivets, small back plates), Japanese pickups, barrel bridge rather than spiral.

Then there's the US hardware version. most obvious difference is the price :) Also larger backplates on the tuners (pos reverse) and a spiral bridge. The pups are US vintage but hard to spot in situ

Neither has a fingerpull or holes for one.

Bodywood for Japanese ones is usually Basswood and the US ones are Alder or something that looks like Ash on the sunburst ones.

The US parts ones are very fine indeed and the Japanese parts ones are very good for the money and fantastic bargains if you happen to live in Japan :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

I presume the same is true for 62RI jazz basses?
Are the ones with US hardware exactly the same in terms of feel and build quality, or is there a noticeable difference?
Why do some say made in Japan, while others say crafted in Japan?

Buying a Fender used to be a simple choice between a P or a J - now there seems to be one made for every budget from a Squier to a custom shop and I wonder if you really do get what you pay for.

[quote name='redstriper' post='847690' date='May 25 2010, 04:53 PM']I presume the same is true for 62RI jazz basses?
Are the ones with US hardware exactly the same in terms of feel and build quality, or is there a noticeable difference?
Why do some say made in Japan, while others say crafted in Japan?

Buying a Fender used to be a simple choice between a P or a J - now there seems to be one made for every budget from a Squier to a custom shop and I wonder if you really do get what you pay for.[/quote]

Do you get what you pay for? Yup I guess so.

Same sort of difference for Jazzes. Check the machine head backs first. .
Can't say what the US pickup jazzes feel like as I've not had a go. There's some owners on here though and Far East Guitars has a pair listed right now.

MIJ vs CIJ is just a case of timing. Up to about 2000 they were Made in Japan. Then they became Crafted in Japan and I believe they are now back to Made in Japan again :)

"Japs" are great, but you can't compare them to US Vintage series.
The difference between japan '62 and us vintage '62 is like difference between fender mexican standard and american standard, as I said - cheaper are great, but US are superior.

REMEMBER - You always get what you pay for!

Edited by mazdah

[quote name='mazdah' post='847713' date='May 25 2010, 05:24 PM']"Japs" are great, but you can't compare them to US Vintage series.
The difference between japan '62 and us vintage '62 is like difference between fender mexican standard and american standard, as I said - cheaper are great, but US are superior.

REMEMBER - You always get what you pay for![/quote]

That's not the case in my experience. The US 62 RI I had wasn't great... the neck and intonation were terrible when I received it, and my luthier said that it wasn't any better put together than regular Fenders. Conversely, the 2 CIJ models I've had have been great. Maybe I just had a bad one, or maybe it was down to expectation (I expected a £1500 bass to be quite special, whereas I've only ever been pleasantly surprised by the CIJ models).

The only real difference between the US and CIJ '62's I've owned were the finish - the US had a nitrous finish. and was a nicer lump of wood.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='847745' date='May 25 2010, 05:59 PM']The pickguard thing is a moot point anyway, 'cos there's no-one out there makes them like they used to.

[/quote]

Very true.
They don't shrink and snap as much now :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='847748' date='May 25 2010, 06:03 PM']Very true.
They don't shrink and snap as much now :)[/quote]
[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Precision_Bass_U.S_Standard_-__Tortoise_Shell_PBA-405"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Precision...e_Shell_PBA-405[/url]

4 ply brown tortoiseshell. Tortoise/vintage green/black/vintage green. Made from [b]real celluloid [/b]as used on vintage instruments. 2.5mm thick with 45 degree bevel edge.