Why become a member? ×

i could never be a session player, could you?

bubinga5

Just wanted to know how many of you girls/guys can really adapt to any style...myself i have been in bands from Rock, Reggae, to Pop..along the way ( to the misfortune of many, now friends..)i came to conclusion that i just cant do these styles...For bad or worse most of my life i have listened to hardcore techno, Gabba and arabian country music..

but seriously its been mostly Soul, Funk, JazzFunk, Disco, Hip Hop..i didnt mean it to be that way, its just my personality i guess and what spoke to me most, rhythmically and harmonically ..without wanting to blow my own trumpet, i feel do have a flair for the feel of it.....

i do delve into stuff like Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, etc but because i dont know any modern Rock etc i think i lack....(although i do like the Foo Fighters, Primus and the Editors etc).

to be honest i find most pop to be useless, unless its something really original..., .Radio 1 i find tedious...in particular certain R&B Dance, that seems like the voice has been altered in a way that it sound like the singer can change voice direction like a gospel singer..(ive just been in a car listening to N Dubs)..its horrible in many ways...sorry if this offends..it only my opinion...

Anyways i guess im indoctrinated to certain styles, and because i dont listen to too many styles i dont care for, i would be useless in a session enviroment..coupled with the fact that i dont read...(at the moment).my point is can some of you out there adapt to anything...

if so, is it because you listen to everything, or is it just talent and subconscious listening..or have you forced yourself to play music you may not like too much to get work....

Edited by bubinga5

I don't listen to everything and there are certain genres I keep coming back to -- but I think I could adapt fairly well (not that I want to be a session player).

You'd never catch me in a Gospel Church in Chicago but I'd love to be in that atmosphere and play that music!

I think you are right, though -- it's just down to taste and/or gritting your teeth if you don't like it.

I guess it depends on the session! I can get by with most genres and, if a line is written down, it is generally no probem but I think there is an important point to make here.

When I was playing the bass early on, there wasn't THAT much to learn in terms of the different genres. Country bass was not a million miles from rock bass wasn't a million miles from funk bass etc etc. In a nutshell, if you could do jazz/fusion, everything else was easy. I think genre specifics are a lot more complcated now. I can bluff a pop-reggae line but hardcore Dub fans would not think a lot of my efforts. Same with funk. I can get away with it but I ain't Bootsy. I think it sometimes matters more than others but, the straight answer to your question is, I only really enjoy it if I can do it well. If I am out of my comfort zone, I probably won't do that good a job. OK for a one off gig but a recording that will come back to haunt you forever; not so covinced. A lot of it is the sound - I wouldn't know how to get a completely convincing rock 'growl'. I'll leave it to you guys.. :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='844234' date='May 21 2010, 03:10 PM']if so, is it because you listen to everything, or is it just talent and subconscious listening..or have you forced yourself to play music you may not like too much to get work....[/quote]

I say both 1 and 3 work for me, though mostly 3. I listen to everything, but I hate most of it, and like getting payed. :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='844234' date='May 21 2010, 03:10 PM']....Just wanted to know how many of you girls/guys can really adapt to any style... to be honest i find most pop to be useless....[/quote]
It’s all music and you’re not listening to it you’re playing it. That’s a completely different thing.

I can't read well enough and I'm not a "one take wonder", but I've loved the recording that I've done and would have liked to have done much more. It certainly beats spending a day in an office!!

Paul Turner can back Take That one day and Jay Kay the next, Herbie Flowers can play semi classical pieces with John Williams in Sky and Ever Lasting Love, Pino can play with anyone and make them sound good! There’s nothing “second class” about pop sessions.

[quote name='chris_b' post='844267' date='May 21 2010, 03:41 PM']It’s all music and you’re not listening to it you’re playing it. That’s a completely different thing.

I can't read well enough and I'm not a "one take wonder", but I've loved the recording that I've done and would have liked to have done much more. It certainly beats spending a day in an office!!

Paul Turner can back Take That one day and Jay Kay the next, Herbie Flowers can play semi classical pieces with John Williams in Sky and Ever Lasting Love, Pino can play with anyone and make them sound good! There’s nothing “second class” about pop sessions.[/quote]I wasnt suggesting all pop is lame...

to your first point.. yes it is all music, but i play what i listen too,,i wouldnt bake an apple pie with love if i didnt like apple pie....that where passion comes from...i cant play stuff i dont dig

Edited by bubinga5

I've been lucky to do quite a few sessions over the years, from demos to radio/tv ads to albums and a few major label things. I love the studio environment and really just want to serve a piece of music as well as I'm able. To me it's more about what others think of a song than what it means to me... It takes all sorts to make a musical world and someone somewhere will derive enjoyment from something that I wouldn't listen to in a million years, but that they enjoy it is enough for me.

Nice avatar, Jake.

Some people thrive on the variety. I can respect that completely. I think for me that its as much the production values that matter as anything. If I am called for a gig/session and its going to be good: good players, good arrangements, good results etc. I can get off on it. I've done some great pantomimes in my time!!

When I started studying heavily (3 years ago'ish) I wanted nothing more than to play sessions with people like Jamiroquai, Jay Z, Dizzie Rascal etc. I got taught by people who played with the big guns and it was something to aspire to, but unfortunately the spark died for me the day I went to a cattle call audition and saw all the competition.

Recently I started to MD'ing, artist development and sessions for local studios. About two weeks ago I got a referral for some bigger work in London (via some local work) at which point I met the exact people who might be calling on me for future engagements.

I can adapt to what ever style I need to, I can also sight-read to a very proficient level and have no problem with improvising. So, in that long winded story, yeah I could be.. I just can't do the big cattle call auditions. They're way too high pressure!

[quote name='TomKent' post='844367' date='May 21 2010, 04:48 PM']When I started studying heavily (3 years ago'ish) I wanted nothing more than to play sessions with people like Jamiroquai, Jay Z, Dizzie Rascal etc. I got taught by people who played with the big guns and it was something to aspire to, but unfortunately the spark died for me the day I went to a cattle call audition and saw all the competition.

Recently I started to MD'ing, artist development and sessions for local studios. About two weeks ago I got a referral for some bigger work in London (via some local work) at which point I met the exact people who might be calling on me for future engagements.

I can adapt to what ever style I need to, I can also sight-read to a very proficient level and have no problem with improvising. So, in that long winded story, yeah I could be.. I just can't do the big cattle call auditions. They're way too high pressure![/quote]

Once you make an impression and make contacts they will call you before the cattle market stage.

One thing to remember is that even the most in-demand session players have their strengths and weaknesses - they're only human after all. One player might be more comfortable improvising in a jazz context, whereas another might not be able to improvise at all and might rely on charts. It's all a learning game really!

My Dad was a pro session drummer in the 60s and most of what he played on he described as dreadful. By contrast I have mostly played on stuff I really liked but lacked the status and cash rewards of sessions.

I think I'm a one trick pony but in my defence I do the one trick pretty well. If I didn't have other aspects of life I honestly don't know if I'd turn my hand to trying to learn styles like Jazz and Funk - I think I'm happy where I am but would like to be better within the context of what I play.

I did a bass session for Total Guitar back in the mid 90s and was picked because they wanted a certain feel. I was really honoured to be asked. I still have the CD of the session. It was only this year that again I got asked to do a second session (with a soul singer, not the same magazine). Again, just happy to be asked. I think the occasional ego stroke is enough for me and I readily admit there are much more adaptable players out there.

The idea is to make it sound good...so you hope the other players are up to that as well
If they are, you'll have a blast and make good contacts and roll on the next one.

The trick is to get people to call you but it isn't easy making good money-day in day-out.
If you want to make £200 a day then you'll need to do that 2 or 3 times a week, week-in, week-out for 10 months a year.

That is why you'll need a good function band....:)
As regards the playing....you'll need to be asked so you'll need to be able to get the job done and put the bookers interests and demands above yours..

Not the dream job you think it is if you are scratching around for dates.

I'd suck ass. But I'd love to be that flexible. I was to wrapped up in punk and rock when I was younger and its effected my playing now in terms of being adaptive to different styles. I'm trying to change the way I play though as my tastes have changed and I've become more open minded.

I've always tried to be as versatile as possible-and so far it seems to be working. I've done a lot of different
work in all sorts of styles-some I really like,others not so much-but I will always do the job as well as I can.
It's funny how you can get perceived as a player-I do a fair bit of theatre work and get viewed differently by
different MD's. One views me as a 'rock' player and will only give me the more rock-orientated shows on
electric bass,whereas another only books me for Upright,and another books me because I can double.
Even on 'one off' or regular gig's some people view me as an electric pop/rock player,while others know
me as a Jazz Upright player.
A couple of years ago I was did a few original gigs with a rock band as part of a multi band bill.One night we
were playing with a full on,young metal band-they were cool and complimentary towards us and everything,but
couldn't believe it when,a few weeks later,they went to the theatre with their girlfriends and saw me sitting in the
pit,reading the show.