Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gigging in the rain

Beedster

We've a couple of outdoor gigs lined up and the topic of safety came up at rehearsal last night, largely as the result of the 'what do we do if it's pissing down with rain' conversation. Anyone got a good info source on this, or any potentially useful advice/experience they can share?

Cheers

Chris

Have tarpaulins or similar on hand to put over the gear if it starts to rain.

If it pisses down, don't play. It's not just the 240V wandering round looking for a handy route to ground, it's also the slippery stage/ground that provides a hazard. If it's just drizzle, make an informed decision.

Ideally, have a reserve indoor venue. We moved an entire rock festival from the Tamworth castle grounds to a large upstairs room in a pub about 20 years ago.

[quote name='chris_b' post='840574' date='May 18 2010, 10:03 AM']If you're expected to play in the rain and you're not totally protected.... don't![/quote]

What does 'totally protected' entail. My gut instinct is that there's no such thing?

[quote name='Beedster' post='840583' date='May 18 2010, 10:12 AM']....What does 'totally protected' entail. My gut instinct is that there's no such thing?....[/quote]
It means you and your gear are not getting wet, damp or dripped on.

If its not covered over, personally Id be very wary. In fact I wouldnt. Im sure it must have a large tarpaulin covering you and your equip?

We are playing a 'festival' wedding in Scotland in July...I have no idea what they have setup but we are obviously sorting this out well before we go.

Perhaps a book similar to this one could be found at a local public library?

Electrical Safety for Live Events (Paperback)
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Safety-Live-Events-Marco/dp/1904031285"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Safety-...o/dp/1904031285[/url]

Then there's this resource:

The M e t a project brings together music makers and workers across the British Isles!
S a f e G i g g i n g
HEALTH AND SAFETY FOR MUSICIANS
by Dave Cross
[url="http://www.artsdata.net/wwwMETA/HandS.asp"]http://www.artsdata.net/wwwMETA/HandS.asp[/url]

Edited by MIJ-VI

As a minimum use wireless for mics and for your bass. Have a big tarp to cover your amp. (cheap from a DIY store)

Agree to meet an hour before setting up to review the weather situation and forecast..
The sunny day and the tipping down day are not the problem. It's the "will it, won't it" day that's the risky situation..

The stage should be suitably protected with roof and side sheets. I imagine the event insurers would insist anyway) oh and make sure you agree that you get paid if it's raining, assuming you're getting a fee for this one :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='840823' date='May 18 2010, 01:30 PM']As a minimum use wireless for mics and for your bass. Have a big tarp to cover your amp. (cheap from a DIY store)

Agree to meet an hour before setting up to review the weather situation and forecast..
The sunny day and the tipping down day are not the problem. It's the "will it, won't it" day that's the risky situation..

The stage should be suitably protected with roof and side sheets. I imagine the event insurers would insist anyway) oh and make sure you agree that you get paid if it's raining, assuming you're getting a fee for this one :)[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Beedster' post='840567' date='May 18 2010, 09:58 AM']We've a couple of outdoor gigs lined up and the topic of safety came up at rehearsal last night, largely as the result of the 'what do we do if it's pissing down with rain' conversation. Anyone got a good info source on this, or any potentially useful advice/experience they can share?

Cheers

Chris[/quote]
It's a pretty simple answer really. Don't let any of the electrical equipment get wet unless the manufacturer says it is safe for it to do so.

For a start you should be playing undercover. I can't imagine any sensible event organiser having an unprotected stage with PA, amps and lighting in a country with weather like the UK.

Best to check with the event organisers what their safety measures are and ask to see a risk assessment and method statement. If you get much difficulty from them, ask the local authority EHO team.

Hope that helps, Chris.

Completely uncovered gig = non-starter. You'd be crazy to even consider doing it in this country. However, I can't really believe that there won't be adequate cover. It would mean the event promoter is a complete novice!

Edited by Telebass

Watch out for water on the stage. The Bee Gees once refused to play an outdoor gig during a thunder-storm saying it was unsafe. The promoter asked whether they'd perform if the support band survived! Check your power leads to make sure your not going to form a link to earth.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='841307' date='May 18 2010, 07:52 PM']A wireless link should be safe in the rain. :)[/quote]
It is. You are completely safe and you can watch your amplifier smoke, sizzle and explode with complete peace of mind :rolleyes: