Why become a member? ×

I think I need to practice some more after watching this....

some of it was great from 1.00 to 1.30 ish...but some was just pointless scale runs and chords...didnt like the slapping..too many stupid triplets..i cant stand bassists that over do triplets......just stop it!!!!

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='supabock' post='829922' date='May 6 2010, 06:58 PM']No doubt he's a player and all that and I'm sure we can all noodle to a certain degree, but what does it sound like with some chordal accompaniment, that's when it will make sense and also where the musicality will shine.[/quote]

Undeniably true, I believe

T

[quote name='supabock' post='829922' date='May 6 2010, 06:58 PM']No doubt he's a player and all that and I'm sure we can all noodle to a certain degree, but what does it sound like with some chordal accompaniment, that's when it will make sense and also where the musicality will shine.[/quote]+1..im sure this is a showcase for his talent, and im sure he would slow down with music behind him

The slap part... That nosebleed-inducing whoops-slapped-a-guitar-guage-G-string-against-the-pickup BLIP! sound he was producing on the third beat of every bar... Why wouldn't he just stop doing that after the first couple of times? Why did he have to do it a million times?

I liked him until that part and then I decided he was a dickhead.

So,he's been listening to Jaco and Wooten then.
The problem with that for me is that it has no flow to it. It seems like a selection of 'licks' that he just
put together,especially the slapped sections where he seemed to run out of ideas quickly before jumping
quite abruptly to another 'lick'. He also played a lot of Jaco 'licks'.
He's got good technique,but his problem is he doesn't seem to have any musical ideas.

This thread has shown one of the strengths of BC for me.

It's such a blessing to be able to have the views of a blend of players all watching the same thing, as other folks really do see what I sometimes miss.

Thanks to everyone that has commented, it's been an informative exercise :)

T

If I practiced for 3 hours every day for the rest of my life I wouldn't be able to play as well as that guy. Yup, it was a load of scales and twiddling, but all superbly executed as far as I could hear. I don't think what he was doing needed any kind of groove, no point sitting there paddling the E however well timed it might be - it was just exactly what it was - high class fretw@nkery. I've heard famous fretw@nkers do less when soloing in front of a camera. Be nice to hear him playing in the context of a band, hear him sit back and just do some of those lightening licks once in a while, some nice little fills.

Just my opinion, of course, but I think there are some rather harsh judgements going on.

He is an astonishingly accomplished player. HIs ideas are a little derivative but, given the right context, I have no doubt he could make some incredible music. I am not impressed by mindless displays of technique but this guy is an intelligent player who just needs a bit of discipline and maturitty (and probably a producer). Like everything on YouTube nobody has edited this so its a stream on conciousness. When he gets past that, he has some extremely useful tools his can use in his music.

He is just goofing around and showing off some nice chops. If this was an audition tape then a lot of the critical points can be relevant but it seems to me he just posted it and wanted people to know he can play..and he certainly can.

If he wanted you to see how he played in a groove context, he got it wrong, but I doubt he wanted that...and besides, the easy part would be to edit and tidy the video up...

All we are seeing is a guy letting off a few ideas. It isn't a composed vid, it is a selection of his party pieces. Something which a lot of us may be guilty of at bass bashes etc etc ...
I don't see anything wrong with that in itself, if it sounds good.

Did nothing for me I'm afraid.

My playing is pretty poor, so I suppose most would expect me to be blown away by his technique, but no. It left me quite cold. Some of what he did sounded bl00dy horrid TBH.

Perhaps as Bilbo highlighted, when his playing matures things may come together more.