Why become a member? ×

I think I need to practice some more after watching this....

[quote name='JTUK' post='831256' date='May 8 2010, 10:19 AM']He is just goofing around and showing off some nice chops. If this was an audition tape then a lot of the critical points can be relevant but it seems to me he just posted it and wanted people to know he can play..and he certainly can.

If he wanted you to see how he played in a groove context, he got it wrong, but I doubt he wanted that...and besides, the easy part would be to edit and tidy the video up...

All we are seeing is a guy letting off a few ideas. It isn't a composed vid, it is a selection of his party pieces. Something which a lot of us may be guilty of at bass bashes etc etc ...
I don't see anything wrong with that in itself, if it sounds good.[/quote]
+1

He's a really good bassist, who in a band/live context would (hopefully) be great, the 'musical content' of this vid is a bit disembodied as he's neither playing a tune as a solo piece or over some form of backing - his lines are extremely well executed and his slap and tap are solid... but since when does playing 'triplets' make anyone a dickhead? :)

[quote name='urb' post='836115' date='May 13 2010, 01:13 PM']his lines are extremely well executed and his slap and tap are solid... but since when does playing 'triplets' make anyone a dickhead? :)[/quote]

Can you not hear the nerve-jangling BLIP! sound that comes around every bar when he's slapping? Or are unpleasant noises like that acceptable because he's a good bass player and he's playing slap and what's a regular battery of annoying loud noises between connoiseurs...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='836169' date='May 13 2010, 01:57 PM']Can you not hear the nerve-jangling BLIP! sound that comes around every bar when he's slapping? Or are unpleasant noises like that acceptable because he's a good bass player and he's playing slap and what's a regular battery of annoying loud noises between connoiseurs...[/quote]

that sound is annoying, and sound it is.

I refuse to watch stuff like this, I don't need to dishearten myself.

A lot of beginners will see it and think that they are crap and will never be that good. Like when our singers brothers band watches me play and are amazed and think that they are crap themselves, all I'm doing is playing inside chords and scales and to a steady groove, it's nothing difficult.

No doubt he is a good player, and no doubt he knows it but I dontt think he needs his ego boosting anymore.
All though it's always nce to year praise for your hard work practising.

He'd get the local jazz gig round here just for being able to solo the rounds in 'Summertime' :)

I like him...he has some nice ideas and licks... and I can't see the problem. It is just a video, I am sure he meant no offence. :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='836169' date='May 13 2010, 01:57 PM']Can you not hear the nerve-jangling BLIP! sound that comes around every bar when he's slapping? Or are unpleasant noises like that acceptable because he's a good bass player and he's playing slap and what's a regular battery of annoying loud noises between connoiseurs...[/quote]

I didn't go much on the 'BLIP' either, or when he was playing open strings with solos over the top. I'm not saying he is talented I just didn't like them.

[quote name='urb' post='836115' date='May 13 2010, 01:13 PM']+1

He's a really good bassist, who in a band/live context would (hopefully) be great, the 'musical content' of this vid is a bit disembodied as he's neither playing a tune as a solo piece or over some form of backing - his lines are extremely well executed and his slap and tap are solid... but since when does playing 'triplets' make anyone a dickhead? :)[/quote]
Playing triplets in themselves doesnt make anyone a dickhead, but overdoing them does...IMO any flashy technique over played is not in the interest of the listener...i can play triplets in slap or finger, but in a song or bass line i would prob play one once,.. if that..its a feature...

like i said this guy is prob different in a band situation and holds down the groove like mofo, and its only a vid, its not his whole musical repertoire...

there are many ways of looking at bass playing and music, IMHO.. two of which i seem to disagree/agree with..the former is someone who see's bass playing as his/her platform to show what he/she can do..nowt wrong with it, we all like to show off what we can do. but lets see if you have a musical sensibility..

The latter is someone who is a little shy.. (no not there personality) they are very capable of runs and awsome slap but will only let it out when really needed...when you only hear a wicked phrase,run or triplet once, it makes it so much more special IMO.. i feel so much more respect from this type of player..

people like Victor Wooten are both of these...especially Marcus Miller...trouble is we dont get to hear or see it much

excuse the waffle just my mind spilling out on Mac.. :rolleyes:

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='836394' date='May 13 2010, 05:22 PM']Playing triplets in themselves doesnt make anyone a dickhead, but overdoing them does...IMO any flashy technique over played is not in the interest of the listener...i can play triplets in slap or finger, but in a song or bass line i would prob play one once,.. if that..its a feature...[/quote]

I totally agree

this guy does it/explains it well...you can do this also with the thumb index finger, middle, ring finger..spacing it where needed between notes

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdKgMVAPGg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdKgMVAPGg[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='bubinga5' post='836458' date='May 13 2010, 06:39 PM']this guy does it/explains it well...you can do this also with the thumb index finger, middle, ring finger..spacing it where needed between notes

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdKgMVAPGg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdKgMVAPGg[/url][/quote]

perhaps not the best example, expert village is certainly not a village full of experts, and for once some of the coments on youtube were right.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='836450' date='May 13 2010, 06:29 PM']Ok I'm stupd what's a triplet?[/quote]

A baby trip.....:)

A triplet is three notes played evenly against one beat

Say these evenly while tapping your foot, each word starting on the beat

plum plum plum plum (crotchet/quarter note)

apple apple apple apple (quavers/ eighth notes)

banana banana banana banana (triplets)

Hurrah!!

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='Bilbo' post='836465' date='May 13 2010, 06:49 PM']A baby trip.....:)

Hurrah!![/quote]

fruits relative to time, i like your style.

Doesn't do anything for me.
I'm not an upright player but on the second vid he can't swing for sh*t.
To me it's just another Jaco Jazz clone, technical ability or not. His touch is heavy handed and he rakes almost everything going down the strings.
And get away from that bridge pickup!

To those that say they could never reach this standard, or couldn't hope to play that well - all he did was woodshed technique and licks. Anyone can do it if they [i]put the practice in[/i].

[quote name='Bilbo' post='836465' date='May 13 2010, 06:49 PM']A baby trip.....:)

Hurrah!![/quote]

hey Bilbo, when I do Banana I get a sixteenth, an eighth and a sixteenth? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='831302' date='May 8 2010, 11:20 AM']He certainly got da chops.
Here he is again, cruising along nicely but then quickly sacks off the improvisation and turns to jamming fancy chops again.[/quote]

I was quite enjoying that until he dropped all the slapping and tapping parts in!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='836465' date='May 13 2010, 06:49 PM']plum plum plum plum (crotchet/quarter note)

banana banana banana banana (triplets)[/quote]

OR, for those who are not vegetarians:-

beef beef beef beef (crotchet/quarter note)

chicken chicken chicken chicken (quavers [cheese and onion flavour]/eighth notes)

venison venison venison venison (triplets)

[quote name='XB26354' post='836474' date='May 13 2010, 06:56 PM']Doesn't do anything for me.
I'm not an upright player but on the second vid he can't swing for sh*t.
To me it's just another Jaco Jazz clone, technical ability or not. His touch is heavy handed and he rakes almost everything going down the strings.
And get away from that bridge pickup!

To those that say they could never reach this standard, or couldn't hope to play that well - all he did was woodshed technique and licks. Anyone can do it if they [i]put the practice in[/i].[/quote]he would prob be horrified to hear that..like i said its only a vid, and possible just a section of his playing..hes prob a monster player otherwise....

ive seen Marlowe Dk do this sort of messing/noodling...says it all