Why become a member? ×

Guaranteed dancefloor fillers

elom

Playing a gig last night and I was struck once again by how well certain songs are always received. You know, the ones where people just have to get up and dance, even if nobody else is dancing. We've got a few of these in the set but could do with some more so I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Any genre, whatever you play - what gets 'em moving? Not merely the good stuff, the real guaranteed killers.

For us (rock/indie covers band) they are:

Song 2 - Blur
She sells sanctuary - The Cult (an oldie but it seems that everyone knows it)
I predict a riot - Kaisers

and the daddy of them all...

Place Your Hands - Reef (just the opening chords of this and people are on their feet)

So what are yours?

Oddly enough, despite my band doing a few obvious dance covers, the one that surprised me the most was....

Little Respect (Erasure).

Firstly, because we don't have a keyboard player (but we do a good version even if I do say so myself);
Secondly, because I have never liked Erasure, and admit to actually enjoying playing it now;
Lastly, it ALWAYS gets people dancing.....regardless of age....from 18 to 80.

Interesting Hard to Handle is credited to the Black Crowes... :)

We find that singalong stuff like Heaven is a Place on Earth, Living on a Prayer and Don't Look Back in Anger work well, bit like the Reef song coz they're "fist pumpers" I guess.

We're about to unleash Footloose and Wake Me Up before You Go Go so I'm interested to see how they go down.

[quote name='lee4' post='90196' date='Nov 18 2007, 11:53 AM']Good Times-Chic
Everybody needs somebody-Blues Brothers[/quote]

+1 Pretty much anything that charted by Chic is a sure fire winner.

Same for any soul numbers that appeared on the Blues Bros too. Whoever selected the songs for that movie really knew their zeitgeist.

[quote name='charic' post='90341' date='Nov 18 2007, 06:41 PM']Biggest response ive seen was to
Status Quo - Rocking all over the world

the band hated playing it as it was just for a joke but it backfired when the entire function room stood up and moved to the dance floor lol[/quote]
I'm glad you posted this as I'm in the middle of trying to persuade people that a Quo song would get a smile and fill the floor. Natch it's being seen as a stupid idea but I know it would work.

[quote name='charic' post='90341' date='Nov 18 2007, 04:41 PM']Biggest response ive seen was to
Status Quo - Rocking all over the world

the band hated playing it as it was just for a joke but it backfired when the entire function room stood up and moved to the dance floor lol[/quote]

We do a couple of Quo numbers and are not ashamed of it.

This does raise the bigger question however as to why do band members so dislike playing the songs that the paying punters like. I could reel off a whole list of popular numbers that my fellow band member just will not do. It's a kind of musical snobbery.

[quote name='obbm' post='90616' date='Nov 18 2007, 11:56 PM'].....This does raise the bigger question however as to why do band members so dislike playing the songs that the paying punters like. I could reel off a whole list of popular numbers that my fellow band member just will not do. It's a kind of musical snobbery.[/quote]

Same here. We are a Pearl Jam tribute. Most people know Ten (their first album) and we get more requests from it than any other, most of them are do-able but our drummer refuses to play more than a couple of tracks off it as [u]he[/u] can't stand it. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='90616' date='Nov 19 2007, 01:56 AM']This does raise the bigger question however as to why do band members so dislike playing the songs that the paying punters like. I could reel off a whole list of popular numbers that my fellow band member just will not do. It's a kind of musical snobbery.[/quote]
I don't think they dislike them because of snobbery. I suspect musicians love music on a much deeper level whereas the general public take a more superficial interest in it. "Play something I recognise and I'm happy". Musicians tend to like songs for other reasons, and naturally shy away from the bog standard run of the mill obvious every day vacuous chart stuff that the proles lap up. Oh hang on, that is a kind of snobbery. Hmmm.