Why become a member? ×

Guaranteed dancefloor fillers

elom

In Australia there is one song above all others that will instantly fill a dance floor

1971 Aussie classic 'Eagle Rock' by Daddy Cool.
Probably the most instantly recognised rock song in Australian music history.

So famous that even the Wiggles do it :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfAZVsz6KM"]Eagle rock on tha tube[/url]

Edited by Freuds_Cat

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='106822' date='Dec 20 2007, 02:12 AM']In Australia there is one song above all others that will instantly fill a dance floor

1971 Aussie classic 'Eagle Rock' by Daddy Cool.
Probably the most instantly recognised rock song in Australian music history.

So famous that even the Wiggles do it :huh:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfAZVsz6KM"]Eagle rock on tha tube[/url][/quote]

We do a number teh wiggles do - its a trad diddly tune .. I can't remember the name though :)

I don't think Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool made an impression in the UK ..
Here Australian (pop) rock is represented by Down Under, My Sharona and Rolf

I watched the video linked and clicked on Peaches Daddy Cool hoping to hear a cover of the Strangliers number but it's this
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_36U5byQjg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_36U5byQjg...feature=related[/url]
Not quite the same :huh:

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='crez5150' post='93683' date='Nov 24 2007, 10:46 AM']Stage direction is a big part of it..... I play in three bands..... two of which are playing functions.... one band is pure funk/disco the other is more party type music.... but for both we have stage direction. Both bands are upbeat and the aim is to keep people on the dance floor all night.... and we do..... it's very important and it keeps the punters very happy and thats what its all about really.... If your being hired in by a large corporation to play at their summer ball or xmas celebration then they want to make sure they are gonna have a good party.

Nothing worse than having a band stop after every song..... try extending songs.... try medley's .... just keep the people on the dance floor and you'll be guaranteed a re-book.[/quote]

I play in a covers band. This year has gone rather well......starting to get bookings directly through our website from people that've never even heard us before, etc. We're always looking for ways to improve the band, whether that's material, stage presence, or just general attitude.

The big no no for me is leaving too much of a gap between songs......regardless of the reason.

We recently did a Xmas party for a large company, and the drummer's bass skin split about 3 songs into the set. We just got the DJ to fill in for a couple of minutes, whipped it off, put half a roll of gaffer tape on the split, put it back on, and started playing again. That kept everyone up.

Then in the second set, the guitarist leaves a gap of about 5-10 seconds inbetween two songs to make a minute adjustment to his sound. And it feels like an hour to me. Rather than make the adjustment, just go with it and keep them dancing.

I can't bear even the tiniest of gaps.....because it's enough to let them walk off the dancefloor.

If we suffer technical difficulties we generally jam something (probably a well known cover that we may have been mucking about with earlier) to keep their heads nodding until the situation has passed. The punters generally know there's a problem and run with it. Once, for a laugh we somehow ended up fudging about with a swing/jazz 12 bar blues (absolutely nothing like our normally style) and what do you know some old boy dragged a lassie up and had a boogie then a couple of others followed. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='107167' date='Dec 20 2007, 04:00 PM']If we suffer technical difficulties we generally jam something (probably a well known cover that we may have been mucking about with earlier) to keep their heads nodding until the situation has passed. The punters generally know there's a problem and run with it. Once, for a laugh we somehow ended up fudging about with a swing/jazz 12 bar blues (absolutely nothing like our normally style) and what do you know some old boy dragged a lassie up and had a boogie then a couple of others followed. :)[/quote]

Was this a Pearl Jam Tribute gig? Fabulous!

[quote name='OldGit' post='107194' date='Dec 20 2007, 04:49 PM']Was this a Pearl Jam Tribute gig? Fabulous![/quote]
Sure was. Thinking back, despite the crowd reaction, it probably sounded kinda weird. It was just me, drums and lead guitar (singer and rhythm were dealing with a crook amp crisis) and although he does a wicked Mike McCready our lead guitarist is more of a shredder than a blues man - think the bit in Back to the Future when McFly's solo gets out of hand. :huh: I remember afterwards him asking me what key it was in too. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='107303' date='Dec 20 2007, 08:09 PM']Sure was. Thinking back, despite the crowd reaction, it probably sounded kinda weird. It was just me, drums and lead guitar (singer and rhythm were dealing with a crook amp crisis) and although he does a wicked Mike McCready our lead guitarist is more of a shredder than a blues man - think the bit in Back to the Future when McFly's solo gets out of hand. :huh: I remember afterwards him asking me what key it was in too. :)[/quote]

ha ha top story

My squeezebox player has a habit of morphing tunes into C Jam Blues with no warning sometimes.. The drummer and I go into full on fast walking bass and swing cymbal and all sorts of things happen to the ceilidh dancing dancers.
I'm always surprised how many people can foxtrot and quickstep these days ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='106935' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:58 PM']I don't think Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool made an impression in the UK ..
Here Australian (pop) rock is represented by Down Under, My Sharona and Rolf[/quote]

I dont think the blame for My Sharrona by the Knack can be laid at Australias feet thankfully.

Another guaranteed Australian Dance floor filler is Turn up your Radio by The masters Apprentices

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GJkjRo5jkg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GJkjRo5jkg[/url]

Lots of previously mentioned songs work for us but we have just introduced a laid back funky version of " I Want You Back " by the Jackson Five and what a cracking song this has turned out to be as it has a lovely bass riff in the intro and verse with a long lazy line in the chorus and it can easily be extended when going down well.

Love the comments about what individual members think about each song. When we have to play a shortened set it is almost impossible to gain a consensus as to what songs to leave out. One persons least favourite is someone else's favourite !!! Our singer hates singing Soulman whilst I love playing it !!!

Merry Xmas to you all

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

our present set list is a bit of a mish mash but the second set always manages to fill the dance floor

[b]First set[/b]
Gold - [i]Spandau Ballet[/i]
Smooth [i]Santana[/i]
Feel - [i]Robbie Williams[/i]
Dakota - [i]Stereophonics[/i]
Take Me Out - [i]Franz Ferdinand[/i]
Maggie May - [i]Rod Stewart[/i]
Summer of 69 - [i]bryan Adams[/i]
Sultans of Swing - [i]Dire Straits[/i]
Sweet Home Alabama - [i]Lynard Skynard[/i]
Hotel California - [i]The Eagles[/i]

[b]Second Set[/b]
Thriller - [i]Michael Jackson[/i]
Blame it on the Boogie - [i]Michael Jackson[/i]
First, My Last, My Everything - [i]Barry White[/i]
Higher and Higher - [i]Jackie Wilson[/i]
Sweet Soul Music - [i]Arthur Conelly[/i]
Mustang Sally - [i]Wilson Pickett[/i]
Buttercup - [i]The Foundations[/i]
Soul Man - [i]Sam and Dave[/i]
My Girl - [i]The Temptations[/i]
Everlasting Love - [i]Love Affair[/i]
Reach Out - [i]The Four Tops[/i]
Brown Eyed Girl - [i]Van Morisson[/i]
Day Dream Believer - [i]The Monkees[/i]

Although we change things around as and when, this is always our main stuff for clubs and wedding etc

• 2 weeks later...

I have read through all of this and agree with a lot of whats been written so far. In particular I predict a riot, Place your Hands, Valerie and Town called Malice all do the trick as does any James Brown.

The one song that works at pubs, corporate and weddings for us is Mr.Brightside by the Killers. Always the best reaction of the night.

Steve

We recently added 'Rockstar' by Nickelback to the set.
The first time we played it, it was in the middle of the first set.
The reaction was immediate - it starts with the singer and guitarist only - people regonised it straight away.
By the time it got the chorus, people were singing away...even though i thought it was quite a 'wordy' song.
We ended up having to play it again at the end of the encore.
The last gig - in sunny Morecambe - there were honeys up dirty dancing to it with each other!
Brightened up my day!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='ianwild16' post='147174' date='Feb 26 2008, 12:19 PM']We recently added 'Rockstar' by Nickelback to the set.
The first time we played it, it was in the middle of the first set.
The reaction was immediate - it starts with the singer and guitarist only - people regonised it straight away.
By the time it got the chorus, people were singing away...even though i thought it was quite a 'wordy' song.
We ended up having to play it again at the end of the encore.
The last gig - in sunny Morecambe - there were honeys up dirty dancing to it with each other!
Brightened up my day![/quote]

Our drummer has suggested doing this one. Reading your post has made me more inclined to learn it :)

One of the best responses we get right now is for Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. Not a dance-floor filler by any stretch of the imagination but they all sing along and cheer at the end.

We finish with All Right Now (by Free :huh: ) and encore with Hot Stuff. Both of those get the crowd up a treat.

[quote name='Tengu' post='207674' date='May 27 2008, 10:47 PM']Our drummer has suggested doing this one. Reading your post has made me more inclined to learn it :)[/quote]
Same here. Hmmm, maybe there's something in the water...

[quote name='Tengu' date='May 27 2008, 10:47 PM' post='207674']
Our drummer has suggested doing this one. Reading your post has made me more inclined to learn it :)

Go for it dude....stills get a good responce from any type of venue / function

• 4 weeks later...