Why become a member? ×

Just noticed new Barefaced product

Performance aside, looking at the picture it would appear to have screw-on strap type handles. At that weight I would prefer something a bit more substantial and recessed as they will get knocked-off or ripped off very quickly.

Also why do cabs have to be made narrower than a typical rack case or valve head? This would go well with an Orange AD200 but the head will overhang the cab by a couple of inches either side. Looks daft.

Dave if cab width is an issue, then buy two and stick them on their side!

I like Alex's blurb. He comes across as a totally benign yet slightly eccentric speaker geek. :) I think he gets a hard time from this place sometimes.

[quote name='obbm' post='827105' date='May 4 2010, 08:59 AM']Also why do cabs have to be made narrower than a typical rack case or valve head? This would go well with an Orange AD200 but the head will overhang the cab by a couple of inches either side. Looks daft.[/quote]
Well, IMO, as long as performance isn't compromised, the smaller the better!

Maybe he should make a wider version for people with big heads. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='827105' date='May 4 2010, 08:59 AM']Performance aside, looking at the picture it would appear to have screw-on strap type handles. At that weight I would prefer something a bit more substantial and recessed as they will get knocked-off or ripped off very quickly.[/quote]
I've got one of the original Barefaced Vintages, which has those same screw-on strap handles and it's even heavier than the current batch of Vintages. I've lugged it around a fair bit, and there's not even the vaguest hint of them coming out. Rock solid.

In fact, WoT can vouch for the fact (cos I've seen him do it :rolleyes: ) that the Vintage can be carried on its side by one strap alone with no problems at all. If you're strong enough, that is. I'm not, nor am I tall enough. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='827110' date='May 4 2010, 09:08 AM']Maybe he should make a wider version for people with big heads. :)[/quote]

Easy for you to say with your piddley little one!!

I wonder if this cab has been developed in response to the TC cabs? Or at least inspired by them?

[quote name='obbm' post='827105' date='May 4 2010, 08:59 AM']Performance aside, looking at the picture it would appear to have screw-on strap type handles. At that weight I would prefer something a bit more substantial and recessed as they will get knocked-off or ripped off very quickly.[/quote]

Having tried the compact (which was the older, heavier one - and only slightly lighter than this 2x12) I would say that Alex's cabs barely need handles at all!! :)

[quote name='obbm' post='827105' date='May 4 2010, 08:59 AM']Performance aside, looking at the picture it would appear to have screw-on strap type handles. At that weight I would prefer something a bit more substantial and recessed as they will get knocked-off or ripped off very quickly.

Also why do cabs have to be made narrower than a typical rack case or valve head? This would go well with an Orange AD200 but the head will overhang the cab by a couple of inches either side. Looks daft.[/quote]

If it helps any, the handle on my (Older and heavier at 31lbs) Compact have suffered no problems in about 10 months of use.

Isn't the width of the new 2 x 12 cab 19.5 inches and a standard rack is 19 inches? Doesn't this match perfectly? I'm asking this because I'm not sure. But since I use a LMII, mine fits fine on my Compact (also 19'5 inches wide) and will also be OK on my Midget when it arrrives. :)

I gigged on Saturday night with the Compact and its the dogs danglies for the gigging bassist who buys and carries his own gear. The sound is just full and accurate.

I'd love to hear the new 2 x 12 cab but I have to draw the line at two Barefaced cabs. I think.

Frank.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='827166' date='May 4 2010, 10:01 AM']I've got one of the original Barefaced Vintages, which has those same screw-on strap handles and it's even heavier than the current batch of Vintages. I've lugged it around a fair bit, and there's not even the vaguest hint of them coming out. Rock solid.

In fact, WoT can vouch for the fact (cos I've seen him do it :lol: ) that the Vintage can be carried on its side by one strap alone with no problems at all. If you're strong enough, that is. I'm not, nor am I tall enough. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Yip :)

[quote name='machinehead' post='827359' date='May 4 2010, 12:55 PM']Isn't the width of the new 2 x 12 cab 19.5 inches and a standard rack is 19 inches? Doesn't this match perfectly? I'm asking this because I'm not sure.[/quote]

19-inch is the width of the equipment that fits into a rack or rack case. The case itself is usually at least an inch or more wider.

Good to hear that the handles are very robust.

I'd expect that to be seriously seriously loud. He then goes on to suggest putting one on top of a Compact, if your amp goes down to 2Ohm.

I imagine that would get painful (though not as painful as Suicide were, supporting Iggy and the Stooges at the Apollo the other night, loudest gig I've seen since Motorhead!).

Nice one. Someone pop out and buy one and review it for us please ;o)

[quote name='51m0n' post='827448' date='May 4 2010, 02:00 PM']Nice one. Someone pop out and buy one and review it for us please ;o)[/quote]

I'd be happy to! But in order to be completely objective it would be best if I didn't own it myself - so maybe the forum should buy it for me?

Worth a try.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Wil' post='827543' date='May 4 2010, 03:10 PM']Is this the double midget renamed?[/quote]
Ah, you eagle-eyed mo'fo'. Well spotted. No mention of the Double Midget on the site, so presumably that's the case.

I've also noticed Alex has dropped the T' prefix and opted for "Super Twelve T" and "Midget T" etc. for tweetered cabs. Good move, IMHO.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned Alex's use of the word 'betweetered'! :)

Good looking cab; my only experience of Barefaced so far is the Compact that did the rounds - marvellous thing which makes this all the more tempting. Just larger than anything I currently need to use.

On the Chrimbo wishlist, even more so if an 8 Ohms version hits the shelves!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='827166' date='May 4 2010, 10:01 AM']In fact, WoT can vouch for the fact (cos I've seen him do it :lol: ) that the Vintage can be carried on its side by one strap alone with no problems at all. If you're strong enough, that is. I'm not, nor am I tall enough. :rolleyes:[/quote]
I can indeed! Lovely cab, that.

I also twirled it on its corner on the end of my finger after the gig to impress the ladies.*

[size=1]* Not true. I could have done if I wanted, but BottomEndian wouldn't have been amused. And there were no ladies at the gig. [/size]:)

If you take a look at Alex's FAQ page, in his usual way (4 lines, no full stops) he writes:

[i]Because by not cutting a hole in the enclosure to mount the handle the enclosure strength and stiffness is greater, because a plastic bar handle would be weaker than our steel cored strap handles, because a steel bar handle would be strong enough but would add excessive weight and because most of our cabs are light enough to carry in one hand and a strap handle is comfier for that and if they're not a one-hand-carry then they have wheels anyway![/i]

From my own industry I must disagree that cutting a hole in the side of the enclosure reduces the strength - unless of course you cut accross a corner. I definitely agree that the plastic bar handles are not as strong as the steel strap handles. That said there's nothing so comfortable as a steel bar handle of the type that Ampeg/Bergantino/Epifani/Genz Benz/Aguilar/Mesa/Ashdown/Orange/SWR/Accugroove/Hartke/EBS/GK/Low Down Sound/Trace Elliot/Purple Chilli/Marshall/TC E/Phil Jones use.

I can see the arguent that the steel bar handle isn't used for weight - but the cabs are so damn light in the first place you wouldn't think another KG would matter for the increased portability.

Assuming these handles are the usual type of strap, they're bolted right through into a captive nut so you'd have to make a substantial hole in the side of the cab to accidentally remove one.
Never known it happen meself.
P'r'aps one either side for balance? Either that or carry your amp head in the other hand; certainly possible with the Compact.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='827591' date='May 4 2010, 04:03 PM']Now all I need to wait for is the avalanche of "compact" upgraders disposing of them very cheaply on here :)

C'mon guys get your orders in with Alex and make a very poor man looking for a nice, cheap, light and loud cab very happy !![/quote]
Haha! Seriously, though, I am [i]slightly[/i] tempted to swap the Vintage for one of these. Only slightly, though, for purely cosmetic reasons onstag ewith the band -this would fit the g**tar amps better! Haha :rolleyes:

Thanks obbm for clearing up the 19 inch rack question.

If I was buying again, I might be tempted by this new Super Twelve. I've had a Compact since last June and I've just taken delivery of a Midget. In truth, the Compact on its own would be more than enough for any gigs I'm likely to play.

The Compact is so smooth and deep. It's a sound I really love. The Midget was bought because I have a bigger gig coming up and don't want to risk not having enough volume. Also, in discussing it with Alex, the Compact and Midget make a good three rig option.

Midget for rehearsals and smaller gigs or where space is tight.
Compact for most gigs.
Compact with Midget on top for LOUD gigs.

A very flexible setup.

The Midget has only been tried in my front room. I's very loud and you can EQ in deep bass at surprising volume. I think I could gig with the Midget most of the time but the Compact gives a wider, fuller and more rounded tone to my cloth ears, which I prefer. (The sound, not the cloth ears.)

The more I gig the Compact, the better it seems to sound.

Eventually, I'll do a review of both cabs.

Frank.