Why become a member? ×

Just noticed new Barefaced product

[quote name='obbm' post='833326' date='May 10 2010, 05:48 PM']Points taken Alex. I must try one of these sometime. It might enable me to rationalise my cab collection. I couldn't borrow on for the weekend of July 3/4 could I? :)[/quote]

If we have some spare then yes indeed. However I don't see it being valve amp friendly so it might result in more cabs rather than fewer!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='833371' date='May 10 2010, 06:19 PM']If we have some spare then yes indeed.[/quote]

Thanks

[quote name='alexclaber' post='833371' date='May 10 2010, 06:19 PM']However I don't see it being valve amp friendly ......[/quote]

Could you explain why?

[quote name='obbm' post='833383' date='May 10 2010, 06:24 PM']Could you explain why?[/quote]

The big magnets that make it so sensitive despite the high excursion also make the impedance peaks at resonance very large - makes life easier for s/s amps but the opposite for transformer coupled amps. When it comes to valve amps and the Barefaced range we recommend the Vintage, the Big One or a stack consisting of two Compacts or a Midget and Compact.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='833421' date='May 10 2010, 06:41 PM']The big magnets that make it so sensitive despite the high excursion also make the impedance peaks at resonance very large - makes life easier for s/s amps but the opposite for transformer coupled amps. When it comes to valve amps and the Barefaced range we recommend the Vintage, the Big One or a stack consisting of two Compacts or a Midget and Compact.[/quote]

Thanks Alex. It'd be good with the F1 then.

I'm really looking forward to reading M&MB's impressions when he gig's with the Super 12. I'm not particularly gassing at the moment as I love the flexibility of my two PC112's; even so, there's still something really appealing about a genuine one cab solution (at least for me with the size of gigs I'm likely to play for the foreseeable future). Looks neat too!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sibob' post='849377' date='May 27 2010, 01:16 PM']regarding Valve amps and the super twelve....

What about amps with tubes in the preamp, but solid-state power amps??

Thanks
Si[/quote]

Tube preamps are absolutely fine. It's the transformer coupled output stage that's really the issue to be honest, not the valves, so I wouldn't recommend those Jonas Hellborg signature power amps either.

It's quite a chameleon the Super Twelve, because it doesn't impose much of its own tone on your sound: Use one of those cunning amps that let you overdrive some valves, especially small power valves into a dummy load, which then pushes a s/s power amp of a few hundred watts into the Super Twelve and you'll get monster RAWK sounds. Use something squeaky clean like a Euphonic Audio or Epifani head, turn the tweeter up, and you'll get super smooth groovalicious slap action. Get any reasonably powerful head and roll all the treble and most of the mids off whilst cranking the bass and there you have all the reggae action you could want. Magic!