Why become a member? ×

Pull offs on bass, discuss

vmaxblues

Hi guys,

This might seem like a daft question, but at a practise last night the guitarist wanted me to use a series off pull offs in a particular passage in a song, now, when I was a guitarist it was a technique I employed, but on bass for me it doesn't translate as well and kills my fingers. Question is is this a technique you guys use on bass?

Your thoughts gratefully received......

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='823676' date='Apr 30 2010, 08:29 AM']They're pretty essential in some songs for speed and fluidity.[/quote]
Another example is the opening bass riffs in Metallca's Master of Puppets. Its essential to pull off when playing that (no rude comments!)

I tend to use them & hammer ons quite often.
The first bass book I bought was Billy Sheehan - the Talas years some 20 years ago & I still struggle to play most of it!
It was a good purchase as it taught me lots of techniques.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='823667' date='Apr 30 2010, 08:01 AM']the guitarist wanted me to use a series off pull offs in a particular passage in a song[/quote]
He can suggest it, but you're the bass player; if it doesn't fit with your style then do something else in that passage which is your style.

Start taking orders from a guitarist and it'll go to his head. Before you know it he'll be telling you what clothes to wear & sending you out on errands.

:rolleyes: :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='823676' date='Apr 30 2010, 08:29 AM']They're pretty essential in some songs for speed and fluidity.[/quote]

Absolutely! infact,I really can't think of a single song that I don't use 'pull offs'. I think not using such a technique is a bit like taking the word 'and' out of your vocabulary.

How does it kill your hands vmax'? - I was wondering if you prefered playing your bass with a high action? This could make using pull off and hammer ons more difficult - as will too much relief in the neck or a nut slot that makes the string sit too high from the fingerboard. I find it so difficult to play basses *ehem* 'set up' by the average retail outlet - as they are invariably a dog and you can drive a bus under the strings.

I like employing smooth bass runs in my playing. Longer legato passages akin to the playing of Charlie Christian or Alan Holdsworth. Though, we don't play skinny guitar strings, we have big hefty cables to navigate - so I think it is important that we make life as easy for ourselves as possible!

[quote name='bartelby' post='823786' date='Apr 30 2010, 10:26 AM']Pull off and hammer ons frees the right hand to reach for your pint.
:rolleyes:[/quote]

LOL :)

Seriously though, outside a slap stylee, can you guys point me to any tracks using pull offs? Not something I've been aware of. Hammers, sure.

On reflectin I think I have not phrased this properly, I use hammer ons and pulls off in my normal playing style, what I was being asked to do was a pull off with a bend, and it was this pull off with bend that is what is the issue.

Thinking about it now I use straight pull offs and hammer ons, but not in conjuction with bends. It was this bend on the 4th fret that was killing the finger.

Does that make sense?

That's sounds strange.
Are you pulling off then a bend?
Or bending the string then pulling off?
Or bending the string then doing pull off while the string is bent?

The first 2, maybe easyier with practice, lower action higher string guages.

The last maybe bending the string down toward the floor, would be easyier.

Other wise bends pull offs and hammer ons are all essential techniques for me.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='824000' date='Apr 30 2010, 01:10 PM']On reflectin I think I have not phrased this properly, I use hammer ons and pulls off in my normal playing style, what I was being asked to do was a pull off with a bend, and it was this pull off with bend that is what is the issue.

Thinking about it now I use straight pull offs and hammer ons, but not in conjuction with bends. It was this bend on the 4th fret that was killing the finger.

Does that make sense?[/quote]

Just about. Don't play it on the 4th fret. Play it on the lower string 5 frets further up the board.

As far as I can see, this is a gtr trick as they do it so much more often and he wants you to emulate his phrasing.
It may be that to play it straight would be too clean and he can't do it anyway..

Not something that I bother with much, personally.

What string is it on? Like the Funk say's, do it on the 9th or the 14th of a lower string.
If it's on your lowest then I'd ask the guitard to show you what he means on the bass. This will result in one of two outcomes, he'll either not be able to do it (& you have a reason not to play it) or he'll be able to do it (which means you need to get practising as the guitarist has just shown you up!).