Why become a member? ×

Musical Geniuses

Pete Academy

For me, a few musical genii would have to be:

J.S Bach
James Jamerson - endlessly inventive, redfining the role of the bass, extraordinary creativity when put on the spot; day in, day out.
Francois Rabbath - Total inovator. Self-taught, totally dedicated to his field, total facility and constantly striving to be a better player.
Scott La Faro - double basses have never been played the same since, and he did it all before the age of 25. There's entire generations of players still catching up to his approach.
Charlie Parker - bebop. Nuff said.
John Coltrane

All of these guys have pushed the boundary of how people do what they do, and all have had a lasting impact. Creativity, facility and dedication.

Of course all the usual suspects.
But for me, Leornard Bernstein - West side story score was genius.
And his amazing conducting on a lot of the Classical stuff.

A link here for studio out takes of West side story.
And Musician skills of the highest quality.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_pBHMcyHQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_pBHMcyHQ[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='silddx' post='816707' date='Apr 23 2010, 08:58 PM']I simply CANNOT BELIEVE NO-ONE HAS SAID FRANK ZAPPA!![/quote]
Classicists aside, that would have to be my vote. Though I enjoy the work of many of the names mentioned so far and I don't even much like Zappa's stuff.

[quote name='silddx' post='816707' date='Apr 23 2010, 08:58 PM']Ooh, I like YOU!

I simply CANNOT BELIEVE NO-ONE HAS SAID FRANK ZAPPA!!

You damned PEASANTS!![/quote]
I can't believe it took 30 posts for someone to say Zappa. He's probably the only person on whom I'd pin the label "musical genius" (Stravinsky and Debussy aside).

[quote name='Bassassin' post='816615' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:41 PM']The first musician that springs to my mind here is Pete Townshend - an extraordinarily gifted & visionary songwriter/composer who defined a musical genre or two, never mind an instrument. I've been listening to The Who a lot lately (they were the first band I was ever obsessive about - 35-odd years ago!) and considering everything Townshend had done by 1973, it's fair to say the bugger didn't leave much for the rest of us![/quote]

[quote name='neilb' post='816639' date='Apr 23 2010, 08:05 PM']When I read the title of this post I immeadiately put forward Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend. As I scrolled down I saw that Bassassasin had beaten me to it, and I am glad. Forget all the media hype if 6 odd years ago, Pete was and is a musical legend...a genius. His productivity over the years (not all reached the public arena) is amazing.

He is, in my opinion, the Stephen Fry of the rock world...as soon as he speaks, I listen and in all cases, I am glad I did. He is a national musical treasure and it will be a sad day when he joins Keith and John.[/quote]

where's the book Pete? :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='816719' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:16 PM']this is turning into a (who do i like best) thread, which i guess is the point of the term genius..each has there own..

there is a defining term though..[/quote]
true..,

but most of your other suggestions were groups of people rather than individuals,

and as for shakin' stevens, well you must know something i don't. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='816651' date='Apr 23 2010, 08:13 PM']Regardless of genre, maybe the true innovators? We haven't really touched on the rock/metal/thrash/alternative/punk world.[/quote]
musically, they tend to be bands rather than individuals, where the result is greater than the sum of the parts..

but lyrically,(in the genres metioned above),Matt Johnson,Steve Dray, Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins, Gibby Haynes, H.R.,Greg Graffin. etc..

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='bubinga5' post='816646' date='Apr 23 2010, 08:07 PM']Shakin Stevens

the word genius is so over used...theres immense talent and then there is genius...[/quote]
:) :rolleyes:

Just testing, right? :lol:

[quote name='lowdown' post='816703' date='Apr 23 2010, 08:51 PM']Of course all the usual suspects.
But for me, Leornard Bernstein - West side story score was genius.
And his amazing conducting on a lot of the Classical stuff.

A link here for studio out takes of West side story.
And Musician skills of the highest quality.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_pBHMcyHQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_pBHMcyHQ[/url]

Garry[/quote]

+1 for Bernstein, though in the documentary of the remake of West Side Story about 20 years ago, Bernstein himself addressed the question of musical genius and in his opinion, Motzart was up there alone in that category!

I also think that it's dependent on the genre or era of music and the skill or talent you're choosing to assess.. So for example, in classical music we might talk of Mozart, Bach, Stravinsky etc but in terms of songwriting we might consider Cole Porter (another favourite of mine), Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Dylan Lennon etc.. As for performers, then what about Elvis, Sinatra, Callas, Prince and so on..

Can't think of many bass (guitar) players that I would consider as being genius to be honest; maybe Jamerson and Entwhistle perhaps in the 60s? I don't really consider musical dexterity to be the same thing as musical genius though, so a lot of the noodlers and widdlers tend to leave me cold..

Good thread though!

I would say Ray Charles has gotta be in there somewhere. Zappa I have no problem with. Another I'd say has to be getting pretty close is John Paul Jones. I also hate to say it, 'cos I've hated much of his stuff (although I've grudgingly actually quite liked a couple of others), but another is Gary Barlow. And right out of left field, for me a vote goes to Mark E. Smith.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='816726' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:22 PM']true..,

but most of your other suggestions were groups of people rather than individuals,

and as for shakin' stevens, well you must know something i don't. :)[/quote]
i dont think Pete specified single artists or groups..most of which were single artists anyways...ok i was jesting with SS.. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='816750' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:51 PM']I would say Ray Charles has gotta be in there somewhere. Zappa I have no problem with. Another I'd say has to be getting pretty close is John Paul Jones. I also hate to say it, 'cos I've hated much of his stuff (although I've grudgingly actually quite liked a couple of others), but another is Gary Barlow. And right out of left field, for me a vote goes to Mark E. Smith.[/quote]
sorry but i know i said genius is in the eye of the beholder but 'Gary Barlow'???? this is getting silly..how far can you travel from the word..

i may add i do like some of his songs... :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Meenie' post='816565' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:02 PM']Tim Smith of Cardiacs,doubtless genius and it is a true shame that he hasnt got the credit he deserves,one of Englands finest.

He is quite ill still after having a heart attack and stroke but on the mend apparently...how on the mend remains to be seen.[/quote]

yes! the creative force behind the single most underrated British band of the modern era. genius. zappa yes. miles yes

[quote]Classicists aside, that would have to be my vote. Though I enjoy the work of many of the names mentioned so far and I don't even much like Zappa's stuff.[/quote]

True, I appreciate Zappa but he doesnt dig deep into my soul even though I can enjoy the 'musical' sides of his talent. If I want to be moved then Vaughan Williams or Sibelius press the button for me,whether they are geniuses are for this crowd to decide

[quote name='grumble' post='816884' date='Apr 24 2010, 01:39 AM']True, I appreciate Zappa but he doesnt dig deep into my soul even though I can enjoy the 'musical' sides of his talent. If I want to be moved then Vaughan Williams or Sibelius press the button for me,whether they are geniuses are for this crowd to decide[/quote]

Interesting your choices of RVW and Sibelius. The compositions of both of them had a particularly nationalistic feel and I'm sure that's what we pick up on. I'm a great Vaughn Williams fan. His Variations on a theme by Thomas Tallis moved me to tears when I first heard it but there's a great deal of (to me) undiscovered stuff on Spot.

Just to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak, I heard Nigel Kennedy play Elgar's Violin Concerto at the Barbican some time ago. Total concentration and it was mesmerising. Then for an encore he did a solo St Louis Blues - what style!