Why become a member? ×

Band Members wanting to alter the 'look' of your gear.

Marvin

I have a friend who is the vocalist/band leader. He's quite an excitable, exuberant and very enthusiastic chap. He's a good bloke.

The band have decided to have 'new' speaker covers made with the band logo on them. The guitarist I noticed has got one of those nice vintage style amps.
Now I'm quite obsessive about my gear, what little I have, and there would be no way on this earth that I would agree to have my speaker grill replaced by the band logo, regardless of my loyalty to the other members. More so if I had a top end rig.

Would you? Or am I being an idiot?

Please note I'm not in said band. :)

I wouldn't do it personally. I like the understated elegance of my Bergantino too
much.
I know drummers who have their band name on the front head even though the band
rarely does anything. It's cool when the band is playing,but sometimes the drummer may be
playing with another band and then I don't think it's cool.

If you want a big logo for your band,you'd be better off buying a large backdrop.It is more visible than
the speakers and when you put one up at a gig,it instantly makes the stage 'yours'.

Doddy's nailed it I think. Especially if you've got some good gear, you don't want to be covering it up or modifying it. If however, I was to say own an unreliable brand of amp beginning with B then I'd quite happily hide it behind anything available. :rolleyes:

Like I say I'm not in the band, so it doesn't effect me, but I'm pretty sure I'd have said no. Especially considering they've already got a backdrop logo and one on the drumkit. Perhaps uniforms are next :) :lol:

[quote name='Marvin' post='810341' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:42 PM']Especially if you've got some good gear, you don't want to be covering it up or modifying it.[/quote]

i dunno, as long as it wasn't permanent, having 'black box' equipment would be quite cool !

[quote name='Doddy' post='810308' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:01 PM']If you want a big logo for your band,you'd be better off buying a large backdrop.It is more visible than
the speakers and when you put one up at a gig,it instantly makes the stage 'yours'.[/quote]

We have a big 3m x 2m backdrop which has loads of eyelets so can be hung from trusses or whatever and a smaller 3m x 0.6m banner that gets to go on the riser part of the stage - usually hung from velcro straps that are gaffer taped (out of sight) to the stage floor.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='810325' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:15 PM']How many logos do they need onstage? Just one on the bassdrum or one cab would be enough. Any more looks like you're trying too hard. Less is more!

He'll be getting his auntie to make band uniforms next - fell him to feck off.[/quote]

+1 It looks really cheesy and takes the focus away from what is actually happening on stage.

We had covers for the PA speakers. Some material that had black elastic straps that just strapped round the speakers.

Then they wanted music stand covers and band t-shirts and backdrop and .......

Is it a band or a brand? One logo is plenty (the backdrop), two at an absolute push if you do the bass drum skin too.

Back in 1994 I'd borrowed my mates bass and the band spray painted "my" case with the band name when I was in the toilet. At least it gave me the push to buy his gear!

[quote name='Marvin' post='810278' date='Apr 18 2010, 01:36 PM']Would you? Or am I being an idiot?[/quote]

You can replace the grill on most cabs so I'd consider going along with it if the replacement grill wasn't expensive or difficult to swap back with the original after each gig.

Wouldn't consider changing the grill unless the leader paid for it, if not the tell him to f*ck off and get one of those :

[attachment=47688:jazz_cafe.jpg]

It cost us £100 and it can be hang everywhere, also what about the times you would play on someone's backline or venues equipment ?

Nah.... If it's for promotional purposes I'd look at other avenues... Flyers on tables with web/contact details. The function band I play with put pop up banners (floor standing) all over the place at corporate and wedding gigs. This is more visible to the punters and it doesn't look sh*t on stage. I think if it's an originals band then the backdrop is the way to go

Some years ago I did consider spray-stencilling my fusion band's logo onto the grilles of my cabs... but at that time, they were cheap Peavey 4x10s so I didn't worry too much about spoiling expensive gear etc. It was a simple monochrome logo designed by our graphic-artist drummer and would have looked the dog's parts if I'd gone ahead with it.
Nowadays with the kit I've got, I definitely wouldn't do it.

[quote name='bigash' post='810959' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:11 AM']My avatar is our drummers Bass drum skin, and i think it looks the businness.[/quote]
I bet it does. Kick-drum decoration seems to be something of a dead art, I remember a time when every kick drum in the world featured its band's logo. Well, every band on TOTP anyway.

[quote name='Rich' post='811096' date='Apr 19 2010, 10:09 AM']Some years ago I did consider spray-stencilling my fusion band's logo onto the grilles of my cabs... but at that time, they were cheap Peavey 4x10s so I didn't worry too much about spoiling expensive gear etc. It was a simple monochrome logo designed by our graphic-artist drummer and would have looked the dog's parts if I'd gone ahead with it.
Nowadays with the kit I've got, I definitely wouldn't do it.

I bet it does. Kick-drum decoration seems to be something of a dead art, I remember a time when every kick drum in the world featured its band's logo. Well, every band on TOTP anyway.[/quote]

This is the skin from the drummer in our band - he calls it messing with time

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='crez5150' post='811017' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:48 AM']Nah.... If it's for promotional purposes I'd look at other avenues... Flyers on tables with web/contact details. The function band I play with put pop up banners (floor standing) all over the place at corporate and wedding gigs. This is more visible to the punters and it doesn't look sh*t on stage. I think if it's an originals band then the backdrop is the way to go[/quote]

Yeah we have a couple of these pop up banners- works really well- no messing about with gaffa, curtain poles- tacks with a backdrop- take seconds to put up and look really professional. Our sax player does these wedding fairs and has a couple of them up and a CD on- we get lots of work. We tend to have one at each end of the stage.

Bob