Why become a member? ×

Mark King or Flea?

No1skewenjack

Like i said b4 -If you've been playing for any amount of time or are any kind of decent musician you will know the Level 42's records are musically and technically superior to RHCH just by listening, or watching.

Have a look at this, you might learn something from him....lol

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CFPVdJKI9g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CFPVdJKI9g[/url]

And who said Mark King hasn't got the "FUNK" ???? lmao

Edited by Rettoglide1

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='837236' date='May 14 2010, 02:56 PM']Like i said b4 -If you've been playing for any amount of time or are any kind of decent musician you will know the Level 42's records are musically and technically superior to RHCH just by listening, or watching.

Have a look at this, you might learn something from him....lol

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CFPVdJKI9g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CFPVdJKI9g[/url][/quote]

I can't see by what measure you are judging this.
Musically? Superior songs? Superior production? What??
People buy "records" for different reasons, most (I would argue) because they like the finished product when they play it on their chosen medium, as it (hopefully) moves them emotionally, or it "resonates" lyrically, etc.
I could suggest that RCHP/Flea is musically "superior" as his bass lines are simpler and sit within the "whole" of the songs usually. That also could make RCHP/Flea "technically superior" for the same reason.
I'm not always convinced by the argument that, as someone plays a lot of notes (albeit very well) in a song, it makes them technically or musically superior....sorry.
My fav bass lines are often I, V (2 to the bar).

But at least I know now that after 35 years of playing bass, I am not a decent musician. :)

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='837220' date='May 14 2010, 02:46 PM']If you've been playing for any amount of time or are any kind of decent musician you will know the Level 42's records are musically and technically superior to RHCH just by listening.[/quote]

this is nonsense.... oldslapper is spot on....ive been playing bass for a long time and im a decent bas player..and i dont agree with that bold statement...

you need to stand back from your love of L42 and see a bigger picture....im betting you just mean bass...do you play drums, guitar, etc...because for you to know if L42's music is far superior you would have to know these instruments inside out also...

As a bass player you could say that MK is more technical (and although i love MK's playing) it doesnt make it better...

Meshell Ndegeocello is not a technical player but for groove (which is vital) she could blow both of them away...but this is just my taste not fact! :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='837236' date='May 14 2010, 02:56 PM']Like i said b4 -If you've been playing for any amount of time or are any kind of decent musician you will know the Level 42's records are musically and technically superior to RHCH just by listening, or watching.[/quote]
This is so sad and ridiculous I think I may do a Skank Delvar. :)

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='837220' date='May 14 2010, 02:46 PM']If you've been playing for any amount of time or are any kind of decent musician you will know the Level 42's records are musically and technically superior to RHCH just by listening.[/quote]
Oh please, don't patronise me. It is quite possible that I have been playing longer than you've been alive. You are attempting to present opinions as fact, that's all.

[quote name='Rich' post='837362' date='May 14 2010, 04:29 PM']Oh please, don't patronise me. It is quite possible that I have been playing longer than you've been alive. You are attempting to present opinions as fact, that's all.[/quote]
Rich stop me if i have said this before but i saw you with the Soul Destroyers in Gloucester....cant remember the bass you were playing but you tore it up with a slap solo...i spilled my pint over my sister trying to get a better view...frickin loved it...(she didnt)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='oldslapper' post='837279' date='May 14 2010, 03:16 PM']I can't see by what measure you are judging this.
Musically? Superior songs? Superior production? What??
People buy "records" for different reasons, most (I would argue) because they like the finished product when they play it on their chosen medium, as it (hopefully) moves them emotionally, or it "resonates" lyrically, etc.
I could suggest that RCHP/Flea is musically "superior" as his bass lines are simpler and sit within the "whole" of the songs usually. That also could make RCHP/Flea "technically superior" for the same reason.
[b]I'm not always convinced by the argument that, as someone plays a lot of notes[/b] (albeit very well) in a song, it makes them technically or musically superior....sorry.
My fav bass lines are often I, V (2 to the bar).

But at least I know now that after 35 years of playing bass, I am not a decent musician. :)[/quote]

I didn't say its because someone plays any more notes so dont put words where arent any....ask a session player which is technically and musically superior to play....its quite obvious....it's like comparing the graphics of Tom and Jerry to -say, Avatar.

Edited by Rettoglide1

i can see where your coming from, but the point is, just because some of MK's lines are harder to play it doesnt mean they are technically/musically superior....there is no musically superior..

i think maybe you are using the wrong words...maybe technically 'more difficult to play', but musically superior..no....

i say this in a nice way, but who are you to say that MK's note choices, phrases are better than Flea's..you could play some of L42's lines and nail them but you might fluff one of Fleas parts because you dont have the feel...

i can bet you that a session player would tell you the same...i will bet my Sei on it

just to add MK's playing in 'the sun goes down' is frickin awsome....great staccato finger style bass playing..this is what i like to hear MK playing,,no slap to be seen..i cant deny how good this is

the sound quality is better on this...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE4rqIrTFqc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE4rqIrTFqc[/url]

This for is MK's simple slap in groove central..nothing flashy, just great slap for the music...and a great british jazzfunk cut

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7mnrhGFzs8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7mnrhGFzs8[/url]

This is also very cool playing...Specifically at 3.25 onwards...totally different style to MK, its not as clean as MK but you cant deny he got funk..might be something to do with the basses and effects also...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfv_5Dyb1k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfv_5Dyb1k[/url]

like someone said tis a very odd comparison...in an extreme way, its like comparing Victor Wooten to Paul Mcartney...

Edited by bubinga5

Are you seriously saying that if you don't think Level 42 are a better band musically than RHCP that you are a poor musician? ...what a ridiculous assumption. I don't like Mark King or Level 42 so does that make me a sh*t bassist? I can appreciate that he is a technically accomplished player but I think his tone is awful and his playing is overly showy and it doesn't do anything for me at all. Likewise I don't like the RHCP either.
As for attracting more people to bass I think that Mark Kings time for that has passed. I bet any money that a lot of kids that pick up a bass will know of or are already a fan of RHCP and may only learn of Mark King as they progress as a player.
The bassist that got me into playing bass was Sir Horace Gentleman's (Horace/Stephen Panter) playing in The Specials. Real simple stuff but catchy and had a great feel.
Oh, whilst studying bass at college, I spent a fair bit of time breaking down and learning Mark Kings playing, songwriting and gear so I know enough about him to not like his playing.

Horace Panter, god yes he was The Man early on in my playing too.
[quote name='bubinga5' post='837375' date='May 14 2010, 04:45 PM']Rich stop me if i have said this before but i saw you with the Soul Destroyers in Gloucester....cant remember the bass you were playing but you tore it up with a slap solo...i spilled my pint over my sister trying to get a better view...frickin loved it...(she didnt)[/quote]
Awwww shucks, ya made me blush... thanks for the compliment mate, if you ever come and see us again then come and say hi... I owe you a pint for that! :)

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='837393' date='May 14 2010, 05:04 PM']I didn't say its because someone plays any more notes so dont put words where arent any....ask a session player which is technically and musically superior to play....its quite obvious....it's like comparing the graphics of Tom and Jerry to -say, Avatar.[/quote]

Obvious?? Mmm?

As an inferior musician I guess it's time for me to pack up bass playing, which is a shame as it's my job....now where did Skank go? Think I'll join him...."skank! Skank!..."
TTFN

I remember a conversation when I was about 18 (1978) with a lad about who was the best bass player in the world. I said Stanley Clarke and he said Geezer Butler.

This thread brings back a sense of that moment. Absolutely pointless, but quite fun putting your argument forward. That's why it's ran to so may pages.

Not that I want to sway anyone's judgement but Mark King was the reason I gave up playing for 22 years. He probably deserves a knighthood for his services to music.

On another point, the graphics of mid-period Tom and Jerry are a thing of beauty. The graphics of Avatar are merely spectacular.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='837361' date='May 14 2010, 04:24 PM']This is so sad and ridiculous I think I may do a Skank Delvar. :)[/quote]

[quote name='oldslapper' post='837461' date='May 14 2010, 06:20 PM']Obvious?? Mmm?

....now where did Skank go? Think I'll join him...."skank! Skank!..."
TTFN[/quote]

Skank is simply resting. So please, unless you feel it's just a lie down you need, stay around.

[quote name='iconic' post='837151' date='May 14 2010, 01:57 PM']...not quite up to this std yet though.....is this a fretless?...if it is then bash my balls... I'm even more in awe of this guy....he must like his bass enough to have a bass clef tatoo too...I quite like that!

[/quote]

Alex from Bass Gallery. It's not fretless, it's a GB Spitfire with original preamp in there. Just like Mark Kings pair of Spitfires... but that's a completely different story.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='837515' date='May 14 2010, 07:16 PM']Alex from Bass Gallery. It's not fretless, it's a GB Spitfire with original preamp in there. Just like Mark Kings pair of Spitfires... but that's a completely different story.[/quote]

Sorry to diss this, but it sounds too fast and rushed. Great playing but the groove is lost.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='837520' date='May 14 2010, 07:20 PM']Sorry to diss this, but it sounds too fast and rushed. Great playing but the groove is lost.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol:

And are we still on this subject..?

Both are old hat..find a new hero....or don't. :lol:

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='837121' date='May 14 2010, 01:25 PM']the type of music King plays is far superior to Flea's anyway...and Mark King has a proven track record of being able to play anything you can throw at him.........so the two are on totally opposite playing levels anyway.[/quote]

Two things here...... First of all,Mark Kings music isn't superior to Fleas. It's different.
Secondly,Mark King has a proven record of playing anything you throw at him? Sorry,but he is a 'stylistic' player who is
hired to play like Mark King. Outside of his own music(Level 42 and solo) he has done very little. So,no he doesn't have a proven
track record of playing anything thrown at him,because he doesn't have much thrown at him.

I'm a pretty decent musician,and I don't find Level 42's stuff 'musically or technically superior'. They've both done good music,and
they've both done crap.
I don't however find either of them 'funky'.

I think the point that is being lost here is that Mr King, if you like him or not did do a lot to bring bass playing to the masses. I think you have to have been around at the time of Level 42's heyday to appreciate that. I was and I did !

Also by the same token, Flea attracted a lot of kids to taking up bass as an instrument.

So, can we agree that neither is better than the other,cause this is getting a bit tedious to say the least.

God, I only hope nobody stars another Wooten or Manring thread. :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='837589' date='May 14 2010, 08:26 PM']I think the point that is being lost here is that Mr King, if you like him or not did do a lot to bring bass playing to the masses. I think you have to have been around at the time of Level 42's heyday to appreciate that. I was and I did ![/quote]
I was around then too and had been for a long time ... and I didn't and don't appreciate it.