Why become a member? ×

Mark King or Flea?

No1skewenjack

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='833006' date='May 10 2010, 01:04 PM']Rettoglide1 is Mark King?[/quote]

I don't think so. If it was mark king, the user name would be

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooggggggggggggggggllll
lllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee1111111111111111

(because Mark wouldn't have mishit the second t)

[quote name='Rich' post='833162' date='May 10 2010, 03:54 PM']Lovin' the Top Trumps idea :)[/quote]

Sample categories:

No Of Strings

Groove

Slapability

Fretlessness

Bass Face

Facial Hair

Dress Sense

Booze/Birds/Drugs Rating

Iconic Status

Tasty In A Punch Up Rating

Known To None Bass Players

Not Being Sting Bonus

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='833178' date='May 10 2010, 04:11 PM']Sample categories:

No Of Strings

Groove

Slapability

Fretlessness

Bass Face

Facial Hair

Dress Sense

Booze/Birds/Drugs Rating

Iconic Status

Tasty In A Punch Up Rating

Known To None Bass Players

Not Being Sting Bonus[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA........ Jeff Berlin would be bum card then

These two players are both great, and I'm a big fan of both. Mark King was a much bigger part of my musical career, as I was caught up in the slap hysteria that followed his Tube appearance. He is an immensely talented player, and influenced an entire generation. But so did Flea. It's an age thing.

So I officially call this a draw. :)

Besides, I know that if Mark read this thread he would piss himself. And so would Flea.

And Bootsy is the King of Funk.

ok, I'll play..

Mark King has by far the better chops in this regard. I think he could easily have done the BIG session circuit on talent alone but made far more with L42..and there was a time when he was regarded as right up there with the very best.. but that was then. I think he bought the bass on somewhat at that time but there are more prominent players around now. Maybe MK doesn't have that drive anymore.. and is very comfortable thank you very much. Who can blame him?
I think he is a better all round player than than people give him credit for but he was basically Stanley mk ll to a lot of people.

Flea..?? Has a very hammy slap style which I just don't think is that funky..and his fingerstyle is ok. But he plays for one of the biggest bands in the world so has appropriate influence. You might get Flea in on a session for his name rather than what he can really do. No problem with that either.

But who cares..? these guys have carved a niche doing something they love and have done very very well out of it...
It isn't at all easy to gross 30k pa year in year out, in music, so it isn't those players fault for playing the cards they were given.

Maybe Flea is embarrassed to be regarded as the best by some..when you see the real monsters out there....and I doubt he asked for the compliment..but that is all it is.

Flea at his funkiest (BSSM) was one of the funkiest people on the planet (hardly any slap on that album mind). Unfortunately (IMO) not a single thing he has done since has come even close.

MK was the precursor of all the mental hystrionic slapping that has happened since. Which is fine and dandy but it aint funky (really).

Personal preference is the best of Flea over the best of MK, I just dont dig the L42 songs at all, or his sound, or his version of funky. It just isnt there.

There are massively funkier slap players out there than either of them in my opinion (Meshel Ndegeocello at her funkiest for instance, as funky as Flea's funkiest, but slapped).

Really think the Top Trumps idea is a winner!

[quote name='JTUK' post='834085' date='May 11 2010, 11:53 AM']ok, I'll play..

Mark King has by far the better chops in this regard. I think he could easily have done the BIG session circuit on talent alone but made far more with L42[/quote]

This is absolutely true. If you listen to the bass parts he played on "If I Was" with Midge Ure live at the Prince's Trust in the 80's, it is without a doubt one of the grooviest basslines of all time.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='834331' date='May 11 2010, 03:50 PM']This is absolutely true. If you listen to the bass parts he played on "If I Was" with Midge Ure live at the Prince's Trust in the 80's, it is without a doubt one of the grooviest basslines of all time.[/quote]

Livin It Up is mighty funky. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='834331' date='May 11 2010, 03:50 PM']This is absolutely true. If you listen to the bass parts he played on "If I Was" with Midge Ure live at the Prince's Trust in the 80's, it is without a doubt one of the grooviest basslines of all time.[/quote]
the version he did of "breakout" (swing out sister) has allways been some thing of a "guilty pleasure" of mine

"Heads down men.....IN COMING!!!!"

I wouldnt call this a great bass player at all to be honest: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2bboRR9Tjg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2bboRR9Tjg...feature=related[/url]

And this guy is being compared to Mark King.....what a joke!

Edited by Rettoglide1

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='834446' date='May 11 2010, 05:36 PM']I wouldnt call this a great bass player at all to be honest: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2bboRR9Tjg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2bboRR9Tjg...feature=related[/url]

And this guy is being compared to Mark King.....what a joke![/quote]

Ace, got any of MK's tracks there?

In context this is about as funky as it gets IMO.

Really.

Mark King can go bwacktittytytck as much as he likes whilst crooning away, he aint got that dirty funk thing down at all, and this has.

IMO.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='834446' date='May 11 2010, 05:36 PM']And this guy is being compared to Mark King.....what a joke![/quote]
It might come as a great shock, but not everyone likes Kinger as much as you do. This doesn't make you right and them wrong, or vice versa for that matter. There really is nothing quite as pointless as arguing that bassist A is 'better than' bassist B.

[quote name='Rich' post='834506' date='May 11 2010, 06:33 PM']It might come as a great shock, but not everyone likes Kinger as much as you do. This doesn't make you right and them wrong, or vice versa for that matter. There really is nothing quite as pointless as arguing that bassist A is 'better than' bassist B.[/quote]

I like all sorts of players from MM to Stanley Clarke to Jaco and Weather Report, to Bernard Edwards, Mark King, JPJ, Verdine, Nick Beggs, Laurence Cottle, Bootsy, Francis Rocco, you name em i like em baby.

Only making a point about MK because he doesnt deserve the sh*t names he gets called here.... and as for Flea he's an ok bass player, but nothing special, and certainly nowhere remotely near league of the guys i mentioned.

Edited by Rettoglide1