Why become a member? ×

Mark King or Flea?

No1skewenjack

Never really liked the songs Level 42 did so can't really comment as I've never really listened to them.

I do listen to a fair bit of RHCP though. Personally, I prefer Flea's playing on BSSM onwards when he's mostly playing fingerstyle rather than 2,500 slaps and pops per minute like on Mother Milk and UMPP.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='809969' date='Apr 18 2010, 12:15 AM']Jaco who?[/quote]

I used to have a stuffed toy monkey called Jaco when i was a nipper, went everywhere with me. Oh no hold on that was [i]Jacko[/i]!
Anyone else remember these Chad Valley popular toys from the 60s and 70s ?

Edited by daz

Well...Ive seen/heard Mr King playing for sessions,masterclasses & just few Princes trust gigs in late 80s/90s with some of the worlds best. a thirty year+ carrer

Ive been struck by what a totall musician/all rounder he is, he can do the lot!! bass playing/drums/keys/guitar/MDing/songwriter (like 'em or not!)
a really talented guy..

+1 for The Guvoner
Mark King for me, all the way
and I dont care if thats Passe

(I like flea... but like Mark King...which is best? only one way to find out...FIGHT!!!!)

Mark (boxer/snapper)King would win!!
Thwwaakka Daaanng.....

ask Flea..he'd agree with me (I'd bet)

[quote name='daz' post='811721' date='Apr 19 2010, 07:35 PM']I used to have a stuffed toy monkey called Jaco when i was a nipper, went everywhere with me. Oh no hold on that was [i]Jacko[/i]!
Anyone else remember these Chad Valley popular toys from the 60s and 70s?[/quote]

Yes, I had one in the 60s. It scared the sh1t out of me.

PS: FLEA!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='812530' date='Apr 20 2010, 01:35 PM']At times they both sound like a set of spanners dropped into a metal dustbin to me.[/quote]

Im not sure if im laughing at what you said or the fact that im sleep deprived state as I read it I saw your Avatar and heard it in Alf Garnets voice..

Flea because of this

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZoowWAPZA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZoowWAPZA[/url]

:)

In all seriousness,I've never overly dug either of them.Even though I like Level 42 I really don't like Mark King's tone at
all,and his lines don't impress me-he's really known for his right hand speed. Same with Flea-I liked the Chili's,although their new
stuff sucks,but as a player he doesn't do it for me.

Ignoring their bands popularity or musical style,I can think of a hundred players who I think are better.

Edited by Doddy

Mark Kings slap style sounds more technical and precise. When watching flea live he seems to just tw@t it and hope for the best. Having said that I really like Fleas finger style bass lines, I think they have a lot of feel and are very thoughtful. And having said ALL of that I'm not really into the Chillis either.

But as mentioned previously Fleas Mars Volta stuff is great so I'm going for Flea.

[quote name='El Bajo' post='813917' date='Apr 21 2010, 04:31 PM']Mark Kings slap style sounds more technical and precise. When watching flea live he seems to just tw@t it and hope for the best. Having said that I really like Fleas finger style bass lines, I think they have a lot of feel and are very thoughtful. And having said ALL of that I'm not really into the Chillis either.[/quote]

Yeah I'm not too bothered about his slap playing but the first half of Blood Sugar Sex Magik has some stonking bass parts on it. And hardly a slapped note on it.

I think kids will listen to flea then discover Mark King and then go on to discover Mark's and Flea's influences and through that uncover the really really good players who they would otherwise never have come across.

Personally apart from the first self titled album Level 42 which I really like they bore me and RHCP sound like tuneless dirge. Even under the bridge is a tuneless monotone, and then when they do the rapping stuff? well don't even get me started on that!

However, everyone has their own taste. Myself would rather listen to a bit of James or Jaco but there is a place for all these styles in a good bass education.

King wins hand down though for being able to sing while playing some of those lines