Why become a member? ×

Mark King or Flea?

No1skewenjack

If you haven't already seen this, take a look a this clip from The Tube in 1985.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWd-Qdb2Vc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWd-Qdb2Vc[/url]

This would now be dismissed as fretw***ing, but at the time we hadn't seen anything like this before. It was pretty jawdropping, in the same way as Van Halen's Eruption was.

King single-handedly re-invented the style from the thumb-heavy Larry Graham's 'thump and pop' to a drummer's rudimentary interpretation.

Knock him as you may, but he really was an innovator.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='814102' date='Apr 21 2010, 07:11 PM']If you haven't already seen this, take a look a this clip from The Tube in 1985.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWd-Qdb2Vc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWd-Qdb2Vc[/url][/quote]

Needs more chorus.

Nah honestly Mark King or not, that sounds like sh*t(*). Even Jools Holland looks bored.

* Edit: Since I've fallen out with people for statements like that in the past: If you heard a drum solo of similar rhythmic content, would you be impressed?

Edited by thisnameistaken

What is it about the human animal that we are so obsessed with who is best? Even (especially?) when it involves an activity where "bestness" clearly is unmeasurable.

It's the same reason people play football I suppose. Another activity where I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would bother :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='814187' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:05 PM']Needs more chorus.

Nah honestly Mark King or not, that sounds like sh*t(*). Even Jools Holland looks bored.

* Edit: Since I've fallen out with people for statements like that in the past: If you heard a drum solo of similar rhythmic content, would you be impressed?[/quote]

It was impressive in 1985. Trust me, you had to be there.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='814102' date='Apr 21 2010, 07:11 PM']If you haven't already seen this, take a look a this clip from The Tube in 1985.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWd-Qdb2Vc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWd-Qdb2Vc[/url]

This would now be dismissed as fretw***ing, but at the time we hadn't seen anything like this before. It was pretty jawdropping, in the same way as Van Halen's Eruption was.

King single-handedly re-invented the style from the thumb-heavy Larry Graham's 'thump and pop' to a drummer's rudimentary interpretation.

Knock him as you may, but he really was an innovator.[/quote]

That's about it in a nut shell about Mr King. I was just starting out on Bass when that came on The Tube. It was pretty amazing at the time. Flea is from a different moment in time, and he don't play and sing at the same time. You can't compare them.

IMO neither's 'better', and there's a ton of session guys out there who could play rings around either of them (and who I probably wouldn't want to listen to doing so)...in terms of 'who would I rather listen to', almost certainly Flea. I grew up in the mid-late 90s, when a lot of 'big' bands (Nirvana, Oasis et al) were doing very little exciting bass-wise, but Flea's work on BSSM and One Hot Minute ('Aeroplane' has some lovely bass stuff on it) kind of kept funkiness alive in mainstream rock.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='814281' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:08 PM']It was impressive in 1985. Trust me, you had to be there.[/quote]

I actually remember watching that on TV at the time and being completely gobsmacked. Things have changed a lot since then. Mark King - love or loath him - brought that kind of bass virtuosity to the masses. Even the likes of Pino were just making weird noises on Fretless basses for that guy who sang "Toast". We didn't have a clue who they were until years later. Everybody knew Mark King, though.

EDIT:
You youngsters need to know how great things were back then - even if it's got nothing to do with this...

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='814187' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:05 PM']* Edit: Since I've fallen out with people for statements like that in the past: If you heard a drum solo of similar rhythmic content, would you be impressed?[/quote]

I've got to agree with you there. Rhythmically it's nothing special,but in fairness the speed is impressive.

My main thing against Mark King is that while his playing is certainly quick,there never seems to be a great
lot going on harmonically. That's why I like thumb players like Marcus and Victor and Alain Caron. They've got
all the technique,but it's not just about rhythm and octaves(Flea is very guilty of doing that). They often have a
lot of harmonic content in their playing.

[quote name='Doddy' post='814314' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:25 PM']I've got to agree with you there. Rhythmically it's nothing special,but in fairness the speed is impressive.

My main thing against Mark King is that while his playing is certainly quick,there never seems to be a great
lot going on harmonically.[/quote]

Yeah he's playing fast but watch his left hand - can you hear any of those notes he's popping? Neither can I. He might have been the most high-profile Brit to slap a bass and that's why he's got some fans amongst the older generation on here, but he's also the slapper most responsible (and rightly so) for the technique being so universally condemned ever since.

[quote name='Doddy' post='814314' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:25 PM']That's why I like thumb players like Marcus and Victor and Alain Caron. They've got
all the technique,but it's not just about rhythm and octaves(Flea is very guilty of doing that). They often have a lot of harmonic content in their playing.[/quote]

That's true, but I suppose you have to like fusion. It all sounds a bit Jobfinder to me.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='814281' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:08 PM']It was impressive in 1985. Trust me, you had to be there.[/quote]
I was there.

I don't deny King's technical proficiency at doing that thing he does but I've never seen the point of it and it has never been of any musical interest for me. So not impressed, even in 1985.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='814264' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:56 PM']It's the same reason people play football I suppose. Another activity where I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would bother[/quote]
Bit of a sweeping statement there. Idiot.
I should assume that playing the fastest most tuneless drivel is the reason everyone plays bass then. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='814333' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:37 PM']Yeah he's playing fast but watch his left hand - can you hear any of those notes he's popping? Neither can I. He might have been the most high-profile Brit to slap a bass and that's why he's got some fans amongst the older generation on here, but he's also the slapper most responsible (and rightly so) for the technique being so universally condemned ever since.

That's true, but I suppose you have to like fusion. It all sounds a bit Jobfinder to me.[/quote]

Cue the Saturday Afternoon Slap Monster...King created that one. And so did Flea.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='814594' date='Apr 22 2010, 08:05 AM']And nowadays we have the SADTM...Saturday Afternoon Double-Thumb Monster. :rolleyes:[/quote]
I feel so embarrassed around these types that the hair stands up on the back of my neck, I begin to feel physically sick and have to leave the shop in a hurry. Even as a young beginner I never engaged in this sort of behaviour, it's outrageous! :)

Seen Mr King in the 80's, very impressive. But a little "cold" for me.
Flea seems to convey more "heart/passion".

In my (limited) experience, I've seen more kids wanting to play Flea's lines because they can then play them with their drummer/guitarist mates, because the RHCP's tunes tend to be simpler, thus encouraging kids to play in bands.
I have introduced Mr King to students who go "wow", but once they've mastered a song/riff find it very hard to find keyboards/guitarists/drummers to play Level 42 tunes with.
They may use a new found riff to impress friends, and post their "bedroom antics" on you tube.
But from that point alone Flea wins. More kids playing in bands, and that's important for me.

Just an observation folks....I don't personally listen to Level 42, or RHCP for pleasure.

Flea knows when to shut up.

Mark, just SHUT UP for once!

I went through a phase (when first starting) of loving Flea, then I thought, wait, these things are not technically impressive or melodic in any real way - and I went through a phase of not liking him at all. Then I realised, wait, this guy is mental and it really does work. I like Flea.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='814582' date='Apr 22 2010, 07:52 AM']Bit of a sweeping statement there. Idiot.
I should assume that playing the fastest most tuneless drivel is the reason everyone plays bass then. :)[/quote]

Sticks and stones can break my bones.... but it's easy to be a big man from behind a computer screen.

You didn't even read what I wrote. I wasn't even talking about the playing... Ha!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='814835' date='Apr 22 2010, 11:59 AM']Sticks and stones can break my bones.... but it's easy to be a big man from behind a computer screen.

You didn't even read what I wrote. I wasn't even talking about the playing... Ha![/quote]

Arm chair and Popcorn at the ready.... :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

At the time...MK was probably as good as it got out there at that time at the in yer face slap thing. MM was sidelining, LJ was around with Jackson's stuff and his own band, Abe L was always different and Stanley had gone away. No one really had a vehicle for the style as much as King made for himself as he built riffola songs around it all.
I always thought the best thing about L42 was the drummer...HUGELY underated, IMV.

Now, we move on. So many players around now who can put them away, IMV..and Flea doesn't really register in that scheme of things anyway. He plays in a hugely popular band and that is solely why he is influential to many.

Meat and poison