Why become a member? ×

Mark King or Flea?

No1skewenjack

AS I SAID BEFORE.

Im new here, and cant believe the agression towards Mark King..

He's done so much for bringing bass to the fore, prob more than anyone in the last 30 years.

And to those who just dismiss him as a machine gun slap-bassist...you need to open your minds and ears and really have a listen to Level 42...
Mark is a top top class finger style player too!! as good as anyone on the planet!!...he plays with lots of heart and is well- brilliant at either style he chooses to play....and is a great singer too (the fact that he sings at the same time as playing such amazing basslines is incredible)...give their music and albums a real good listen and dont just dismiss him......who on here has achieved as much as Mark? nobody!!

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='832281' date='May 9 2010, 03:42 PM']Football? Isn't that the strange Earth custom where twenty-two men run around in t-shirts and shorts in the middle of winter, chasing a spherical projectile around a wet & muddy field for no apparent reason?[/quote]

For about £100'000 a week if you're really good at it. I'd consider that an incentive

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='832353' date='May 9 2010, 04:56 PM']AS I SAID BEFORE.

He's done so much for bringing bass to the fore, prob more than anyone in the last 30 years.

And to those who just dismiss him as a machine gun slap-bassist...you need to open your minds and ears and really have a listen to Level 42...
Mark is a top top class finger style player too!! as good as anyone on the planet!!...he plays with lots of heart and is well- brilliant at either style he chooses to play....and is a great singer too (the fact that he sings at the same time as playing such amazing basslines is incredible)...give their music and albums a real good listen and dont just dismiss him......who on here has achieved as much as Mark? nobody!!

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.[/quote]

First of all the fact you're new here doesn't come into play on this specific subject.

Second of all don't dismiss others opinions on assumption that they haven't listened to Level42.

Thirdly if he's as good in fingerstyle as anyone on the planet means that he's not that good.

Fourthly, just because he's singing whilst w***ing the fretboard doesn't mean anything, I sing when cleaning my toilet but that doesn't make me a great musician. There are better singer/bassists out there.

He didn't do much for the musical world really, he hasn't come up with anything new and I haven't heard of him until I started coming on here.

You are right on one thing, none of us achieved what he did. Being despised and called "fretboard w***er" by loads of people is really something that none of the lot on here has managed to achieve.

Mark King is overrated, get over it and go and listen to some proper funk.

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='832353' date='May 9 2010, 04:56 PM']AS I SAID BEFORE.

I've heard enough Level 42 to be able to offer my opinion on Mark Kings playing. I would conclude that you are a very big fan of L42?

I can't say I have achieved as much as Mark but then you could argue that because Mark King didn't climb Mt Everest he hasn't achieved as much as Sir Edmund Hilary.

Unfortunately, unless you join a Mark King/L42 forum you will find people on here that like him and people that don't and if people that don't like him angers you then maybe this isn't the best forum to be on.

Let's not get into a barney about this..... some of us love him... some of us loathe him..... there are plenty of bass players out there we all have different opinions about.... I don't think slagging any of them off is very grown up is it...... For example, for me Jaco, Entwistle, Hook...... I think they are utter dross.... but thats my opinion and I would not slate another member here for being a fan.... they have all bought something to the Bassist dinner table ;o)

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='832353' date='May 9 2010, 04:56 PM']Im new here ...

...who on here has achieved as much as Mark? nobody!![/quote]
Although being new is usually irrelevant, in this case if you are new then you can't possible know whether anybody here has achieved as much as Mark King.

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='832353' date='May 9 2010, 04:56 PM']LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.[/quote]
I have - and I can't bear it. I'm not aggressive to King (or anyone I hope) but, for me, it's soul-less nonsense. Sorry, but that's what it does for me.

Your experience may vary.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='daz' post='811721' date='Apr 19 2010, 07:35 PM']I used to have a stuffed toy monkey called Jaco when i was a nipper, went everywhere with me. Oh no hold on that was [i]Jacko[/i]!
Anyone else remember these Chad Valley popular toys from the 60s and 70s ?

[/quote]

omg i had one the same as that ! thanks for the memories :)

Alright then...... I'll bite :)

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='832289' date='May 9 2010, 03:47 PM']Mark King took Grahams style and improved it 1000%....he took it to completely much higher dimensions.[/quote]

No he didn't.

You seem quite aggressive here.
I've listened to a lot of Level 42,and I like them as a band.I just don't think that Mark King deserves to be in the pantheon of
the greatest players. I can name a hundred players who I think are far superior players.
As far as who here has achieved as much as him. He has made a name for himself as a 'stylistic' player in one band.That's cool and
everything,but I generally have more respect for players who can step outside of a singular band situation-players like Will Lee,Nathan East,
Marcus,AJ etc. I know that there are players on here who can,and have,done the kind of work that Mark King or (and Flea)could never have
done if they hadn't have got lucky with one band.

[quote name='crez5150' post='832381' date='May 9 2010, 05:30 PM']there are plenty of bass players out there we all have different opinions about.... I don't think slagging any of them off is very grown up is it...... For example, for me Jaco, Entwistle, Hook...... I think they are utter dross.... but thats my opinion and I would not slate another member here for being a fan....[/quote]

I wouldn't slate anybody for being a Mark King fan, but I think Mark King himself is fair game.

[quote name='Doddy' post='832738' date='May 10 2010, 01:11 AM']I know that there are players on here who can,and have,done the kind of work that Mark King or (and Flea)could never have
done if they hadn't have got lucky with one band.[/quote]

Sure knowing your onions inside and out and being able to take any gig and do it competently is admirable, but it's a masterclass in sounding generic most of the time and who wants to do that? I think I'd rather be known for one thing that I originated and have an instantly recognisable sound. There are tonnes of discreet sidemen around, but only one Flea.

Wow, just caught up on this thread. I have to say I would like to have the ability that Mark King has, and Flea, and Chris Squire, and Larry Graham, and and and.........there are a lot of seriously good players out there and the reason they have made a great living out of playing bass is because they are seriously good.

There, I've said it now.

[quote]First of all the fact you're new here doesn't come into play on this specific subject.[/quote]
First of all the fact that i'm new here makes no difference at all

[quote]Second of all don't dismiss others opinions on assumption that they haven't listened to Level42.[/quote]
Like you are dismissing my opinions you mean??????

[quote]Thirdly if he's as good in fingerstyle as anyone on the planet means that he's not that good.[/quote]
Please elaborate on what exactly you mean, you're statement doesnt actually make any sense.

[quote]Fourthly, just because he's singing whilst [b]w***ing the fretboard[/b] doesn't mean anything[/quote]
You jealous because he knows his way around the fretboard????

[quote]I sing when cleaning my toilet but that doesn't make me a great musician[/quote].
That's prob all youre good for.

[quote]There are better singer/bassists out there[/quote]
Go ahead and name them.

[quote]He didn't do much for the musical world really, he hasn't come up with anything new and I haven't heard of him until I started coming on here.[/quote]
You must have been living in a cave.

[quote]You are right on one thing, none of us achieved what he did. [b]Being despised and called "fretboard w***er" by loads of people [/b]is really something that none of the lot on here has managed to achieve.[/quote]
Just how old are you???

[quote]Mark King is overrated, get over it and go and listen to some [b]proper funk[/b].[/quote]
Firstly MK is a highly respected Musician.......secondly- nobody said MK was the best funk player in the world- but lead the the way and enlighten me because i want to know what [b]proper funk[/b] is....???

You sound like a two year old who has just spat the dummy out.

Edited by Rettoglide1

Play nice children.....if you feel like an aggressive post is boiling up in you, go and look at another thread!!

Regardless of age, everyone here should be adult enough to realise these threads never agree, so whats the point in arguing?

Si

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='832988' date='May 10 2010, 12:51 PM']You're just sore because you got dealt the Adam Clayton card. Good luck winning that round sucker.[/quote]

Ha ha! I'll go for Bank Balance.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='832989' date='May 10 2010, 12:51 PM']Being condescending! That's like pouring petrol on the flames!

*subscribed*[/quote]

Only you could turn that around! :rolleyes:
When everyone gets on and discusses the topic like adults, I'll edit my post lol

I take it all tongue in cheek, you should too :)

Anyway, simply from a lesser of two evils point of view (i'm not a big fan of either band), I'll take flea.....he has character......and was in Back To The Future 2!

Si

[quote name='Rettoglide1' post='832976' date='May 10 2010, 12:38 PM']That's prob all youre good for.[/quote]
Ooh, nice. And you said [i]he[/i] sounded like a two year old..?

[quote]i want to know what [b]proper funk[/b] is....???[/quote]
Go and write out 100 times, "I must listen to James Brown". :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='833003' date='May 10 2010, 01:01 PM']I already asked that on page one. :)[/quote]

Yet nobody ever answers the question.

So... shall we have a bash at making some cards up?

So, who have we got in the frame so far? Mark King, Flea and um... Adam Clayton.

What attributes should we look at?

Hows this for starters...?

Bass Face Rating

Bank Balance Rating (just so Adam has a chance of winning?)

Number of strings - I think we should thrown in number of strings they are known for playing. An argument would soon commence on what number is better...