Why become a member? ×

How new do you like your basses?

Alfie

The subject of relic basses is often quite an emotive one with debate highly polarised. I can see why people like them, it's really just a question cosmetic taste.

My own inclination is the opposite end of the spectrum. I like my basses to be pristine and new, to the extent that I am highly cautious about buying from a shop because I don't like the idea that my 'new' bass has been sitting there for a while, possibly passing through the hands of anyone and everyone who fancies a go.

Others may find that they cannot buy a bass without having played it first.

So basically I was wondering which broad category basschatters fall into and whether there are many like me?

Interesting one...

Until November last year when I bought my brand new MIA Precision I had never bought a "new" guitar. This was probably down to all my heroes playing guitars that arent necessarily on the beaten track, or arent even made anymore (Jack Bruce, Cliff Burton). So I would say I like both, it was a lovely feeling to buy and own a bass that was purely mine (and always will be because its awesome) but im equally happy buying something with dings and belt rash if it plays and sounds the business. Buying from a reputable dealer also helps.

I would point out that I dont dig the "reliced" look when it isnt actual real "relic wear" though... some of those Fenders look pretty convincing but compare it to something like

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70186&hl=precision"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=precision[/url]

and they just dont convince.

I always try to look after my basses. I clean and polish them from time to time and feed the rosewood boards with a little lemon oil. When they're not being used, they are kept in cases or padded gig bags and when they're on stage, they're kept on stands. It's inevitable that they're going to pick up a ding or two along the way and although it saddens me, I don't get all anal about it.

I'm not too fussed. I like buying second hand because you obviously save a few pennies. There are a lot of guys on here who really take care of their instruments so you can get a second hand bass in as-new condition. The fact that I'm not the first owner doesn't really bother me. There was a post on here a while back which was something like: you never really own a bass, you just look after it for the next person. I'm not a big fan of the fake relic jobs either.

I take good care of mine, even though they are worked very hard overall. I'm not bothered about being the first owner - Two of mine are used instruments. I clean the bodies/necks with Pledge before going out to a gig (like the maker) and make sure I always have pretty clean & zingy strings.

I'm very lucky in that the two used instruments I have at the moment both came to me in pristine condition, even though one was almost ten years old. :)

i like buying second hand...new basses are going to get dings etc..dings just dont bother me when there there already, the bass is for playing not to look at...i would hate to have (i say hate but) a brand new Alleva or Ritter...i would worry too much...

i use dunlop polish and a fretboard cleaner...the basses are always out

lets face it relics arent suppose to fool you, there to tell the audience you have been on the road for 20 years..i dont mind em,wouldnt buy one because of it... love the Nash's though

Edited by bubinga5

I had an American Fender P that I bought second hand in mint condition from a fellow Basschatter, but it seldom got played as I was too worried about it getting dings. While it's nice to have new gear, I would rather have *slightly* used gear, a few bumps and scratches are no problem for me. I usually find that as used basses have been played in they're more comfortable to play.

A big no to relicing for me though, I don't see the point.

Edited by Jono Bolton

I nearly always buy online, as my dream instruments aren't made any more. I also hate the idea that Joe Public has been all over my bass, and showroom wear and tear is usually from neglect rather than use. No thanks.

I have never owned a new bass. I don't need them pristine, but I don't want them bashed. I wince when I ding them, but my Ibanez SR705 is dinged and there is a wear patch above the neck pickup down to the wood...and I love it. I take great care of my basses but I use them and they get played quite hard.

So I could tick three of the five boxes above, even though they contradict each other in places!

I simply could never have afforded the two Zons I play if I'd bought them new.
They're both in very good condition but they're certainly not pristine.
I'd prefer them not to have the marks they've got (especially the small but horrendous ding on the top side edge of the fretted one) but at the end of the day it's only cosmetic.

Beggars can't be choosers & all that............

I simply don't care...
"Vintage" instruments are often too heavy for me, and i don't like broad necks any more (i'm a 5er player). Also some of the 80's or even 90's electronics are sometimes less precise then what they are now...
I own a 98 and a 08... both are great players :)

If it's a brand new instrument then I would expect it to be mint, as with anything else I buy brand new. No scratches, no dings no nothing.
I will however like to try before I buy.
Second hand you have to expect wear and tear and would hope the price reflected that.
As for relic'd basses, I probably wouldn't buy one, it's a bit like buy those jeans that have had holes put in them, it just strikes me as a little bizarre.

.......eerrrrrrm - There's no option for I'm not that bothered as long as it has been looked after properly......?

I have bought 2 2ndhand PRSs that are in better condition than the 2 Brand new ones sent over to me from a shop in the states. Not because the shop didn't look after them, but because Saturday afternoon heroes dinged them whilst f++king about with them in the shop!

(both have minor dings that do little to detract from the value or playability but annoying nevertheless)

If I see something I like the look of and it's comfortable and plays nice I'll have it. I don't really care if it's brand new or it has a few dings, but if there's signs of neglect (like big holes in the finish or dings in the back of the neck or something) I wouldn't expect to be paying a lot.

I would never buy an expensive new bass though, I'd be too scared of knocking it against stuff. So in a way I prefer to buy used basses. Not necessarily "pre-ruined" but not showroom either. Let someone else deal with the depreciation.

I like to buy brand new, and get super edgy when anyone else touches them. Especially now since my mint jaguar, that everytime I played it I removed my belt, got nocked down and has a tiny 3mm dint into the wood, by my retard band mates who are like uncontrollable monkeys.

Other than that one mark it still pretty brand new looking other than dirt and dust.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='794726' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:26 PM']I like to buy brand new, and get super edgy when anyone else touches them. Especially now since my mint jaguar, that everytime I played it I removed my belt, got nocked down and has a tiny 3mm dint into the wood, by my retard band mates who are like uncontrollable monkeys.

Other than that one mark it still pretty brand new looking other than dirt and dust.[/quote]

Well, by your exacting standards I say shame on you for letting your pristine bass have 'dirt and dust' on it. Tch.

For me it's all about the condition - scratches and dings that aren't obvious are fine but if someone before me has been clumsy or tried to fake relic a bass then I would walk away from it, even though it may be the best playing bass in the world.

I'm not anal about my basses, I rarely clean them and when they are not being gigged they're kept in a gig bag but my basses are always in excellent condition.

Alll I ever do is change the strings when needed, do a setup when needed and lemon oil the fretboard when needed so there could be gaps of anything up to 6 or 7 months between me actually doing anything other than playing my bass.

In the 70 or so basses I have owned I have had maybe one ding that has been caused by me

Scratches and dents don't bother me. Same with repairs - as long as they are done propperly. I have brought second hand basses before that have been in fair condition other than being really REALLY dirty - and I can't stand that. Fingerboard gunk from MY fingers/use is fine. But someone elses skinflakes...

I'm a try before you buy person. If it is a 'new' bass but has a few dings I obviously don't expect to charged full price, but if it plays great then I would see no reason not to buy it if the damage was only cosmetic. Dings and stuff happen, even if you really look after your basses.

Spending £2000 grand on a really beaten up old Fender with 'mojo', where the dings seem to add to the value, does annoy me a bit though.

I don't like the idea of trying a 'showroom' bass which I decide to buy only to be given a new bass which hasn't been touched, the bass I buy has to be the one I try out in the store.

I have no problem buying amps online, but I couldn't buy a bass without playing it first, unless it was made to order type bass like a Sadowsky NYC, Fodera, Ritter etc where I know that the bass is going straight from the workshop into my hands. Spending that type of money everything should be perfect!