Why become a member? ×

New amp day.. TC RH450 in the house...

wateroftyne

Hi folks

Look what the postman just delivered to work, thanks to the lovely Mark at Bass Direct:

Ordered it 2pm yesterday.. that's quick!

The story:

Unfortunately my new car's boot is smaller than my old one, even though it's the same model. Something had to go, and my beloved MPulse got the chop.

*gulp*

First impressions re: construction... it's a LOT more solid and well-made than I expected (don't know why I thought it wouldn't be). It's a quality bit of kit which feels reassuringly solid, but light. The fitted case is lovely too, and was only 20-odd quid!

This is probably the biggest gamble I've made on a blind amp purchase. Most people seem to love them, but a few don't take to them so well. I do know that my previous forays into micro amps have been OK, but I've missed the WHUMP of an old-school power section.

I've done my research and apparently the TC is a cut above, so fingers crossed...!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='783498' date='Mar 23 2010, 02:40 PM']Hi folks

Look what the postman just delivered to work, thanks to the lovely Mark at Bass Direct:

Ordered it 2pm yesterday.. that's quick!

The story:

Unfortunately my new car's boot is smaller than my old one, even though it's the same model. Something had to go, and my beloved MPulse got the chop.

*gulp*

First impressions re: construction... it's a LOT more solid and well-made than I expected (don't know why I thought it wouldn't be). It's a quality bit of kit which feels reassuringly solid, but light. The fitted case is lovely too, and was only 20-odd quid!

This is probably the biggest gamble I've made on a blind amp purchase. Most people seem to love them, but a few don't take to them so well. I do know that my previous forays into micro amps have been OK, but I've missed the WHUMP of an old-school power section.

I've done my research and apparently the TC is a cut above, so fingers crossed...![/quote]

Enjoy!

They are certainly packed with features and push out plenty of volume. Take plenty of time to try out various EQ/Spectracomp/Tubetone combinations before you make a real judgement as they may not be to your taste out of the box set flat.

Let us know how you get on...

Heh... Acoustic rehearsals every night this week (with three different bands... My head hurts) so the Walkabout Scout is getting all the use.

I've had a bit of time with the RH at low volume, and via headphones, and.. So far so good!

I have a gif on Saturday so I'll know more after that...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='783498' date='Mar 23 2010, 02:40 PM']First impressions re: construction... it's a LOT more solid and well-made than I expected (don't know why I thought it wouldn't be). It's a quality bit of kit which feels reassuringly solid, but light.[/quote]
But how does it respond to the Elk test?
(as in[i] F'in el'k ...it's vibrated off a stack on the ruddy floor[/i])

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='785340' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:26 PM']But how does it respond to the Elk test?
(as in[i] F'in el'k ...it's vibrated off a stack on the ruddy floor[/i])[/quote]
I'm hoping I never find out... :)

I've been having more of a quick tinker with my RH450 last night, on top of a single HS210.

Again, I'd like to stress how well-made it feels, and how well thought-out the layout is. It feels like a bit of top-end pro audio gear.

For low-volume front-room noodling, the default EQ isn't to my taste (again, I'm used to using the Scout for this purpose) but it took me about a minute to dial in what I would consider to be a great tone with the default EQ points... lo up a few clicks, lo-mid down a few clicks, upper mid rolled back a notch or two, a smidge of spectracomp and tube tone... absolutely lovely and fat, with a substantially more clarity than the Scout (as you would expect from such a different speaker config).

HOWEVER... low-volume noodling isn't what I got the amp for!

I'll re-EQ it at the gig on Saturday... maybe I'll find that the default EQ is more relevant for gig volume.

So far so good...

These things have get great reviews on the talkbass forum. The only downside I see is that the spectracomp for some doesn't seem to do as it says on the tin. But from what I've heard of it with my own ears it's the dogs bollucks. The lights are great for darkened gigs.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='785919' date='Mar 25 2010, 03:20 PM']My next 'open' gig is at the Smugglers in *deep breath* Sunderland a week on Sunday afternoon if that's any good..?[/quote]

Is that the one down on Roker beach? Had some good (if under-attended!) gigs in there a few years ago...