Why become a member? ×

New amp day.. TC RH450 in the house...

wateroftyne

[quote name='Musicman20' post='795084' date='Apr 3 2010, 02:56 PM']Sounds good! I am the same...I find my tone goals are mellowing.[/quote]

What started it for me was the lovely pre-amp in my old Alleva C which had a passive tone roll off alongside the active circuit (like a Sadowsky VTC I guess).

I 'discovered' how nice it was to gently roll off the top end without losing the really nice core tone.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='792672' date='Mar 31 2010, 11:03 PM']Here's a crappy camera recording from the jam last night. First song is my J, the others are my P.

Obviously the flats thing won't appeal to most, but I LOVE THIS TONE.

That's one HS210. Can you imagine two? :wub:[/quote]

Fabulous tone WoT; particularly the P Bass... Nice playing too!

BTW, what's the stand that your rig is sitting on in the earlier picture of the rig with the J Bass?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='795366' date='Apr 3 2010, 10:39 PM']Fabulous tone WoT; particularly the P Bass... Nice playing too!

BTW, what's the stand that your rig is sitting on in the earlier picture of the rig with the J Bass?[/quote]
Cheers!

That's an Auralex Gramma Pad - the best thing I've ever bought apart from my amp, cabs and basses...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='789296' date='Mar 29 2010, 11:15 AM']I completely agree. I expected a more processed sound but it was the opposite. After trying the Shuttle 9.0 before hand, this amp was exactly what I was after. Mine has an issue with the power socket in the back which is causing other problems (the cord just almost falls out which is a bit worrying) but TC is has been very good with the warranty and they are sending a new unit.

Other than that, which I presume is just my bad luck, the amp is spot on. I cant really use mine until the new one arrives so Im without it for a bit, but this has just proved to me that TC are one of those companies its safe to buy from and be looked after.[/quote]
I'm thinking about getting the RH450 or the Shuttle 9.0, do you know how they compare to eachother?

cheers

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='795446' date='Apr 4 2010, 12:13 AM']Cheers!

That's an Auralex Gramma Pad - the best thing I've ever bought apart from my amp, cabs and basses...[/quote]

I have one of these as well. Works really well, especially on suspended wooden floors (like a stage).

Really useful at home for practice as it stops some of the lower frequencies reverberating arounf the house through the floor :)

[quote name='jjl5590' post='795575' date='Apr 4 2010, 11:13 AM']I'm thinking about getting the RH450 or the Shuttle 9.0, do you know how they compare to eachother?

cheers[/quote]

I had the Shuttle 9.0 for about 48 hours. It had a problem with the chassis, but I still managed to test it.

Definitely not for me...no warmth and too clinical for me. Very bright and pingy. Didn't feel that loud.

RH450 is opposite...warm, fluid, full, tubey (ish).

[quote name='Musicman20' post='795749' date='Apr 4 2010, 03:17 PM']I had the Shuttle 9.0 for about 48 hours. It had a problem with the chassis, but I still managed to test it.

Definitely not for me...no warmth and too clinical for me. Very bright and pingy. Didn't feel that loud.

RH450 is opposite...warm, fluid, full, tubey (ish).[/quote]

Tubey in every sense of the word. Those 450 watts packed into the RH450 feels and sounds louder than both my 500 watt Markbass heads. The RH450 really punches through the mix like my SVT used to do. I had a Shuttle 6 and this was remarkably low volume in comparison to my Markbasss and Eden WT400.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='795749' date='Apr 4 2010, 02:17 PM']I had the Shuttle 9.0 for about 48 hours. It had a problem with the chassis, but I still managed to test it.

RH450 is opposite...warm, fluid, full, tubey (ish).[/quote]
What type of music do you play? I'm in a funk rock band and play a lot of aggressive slap, so I'm not sure if a warm amp is what im after :)

[quote name='jjl5590' post='795929' date='Apr 4 2010, 07:35 PM']What type of music do you play? I'm in a funk rock band and play a lot of aggressive slap, so I'm not sure if a warm amp is what im after :)[/quote]

Hmmm. What slap tine do you go for?

Really modern bright and clean = Shuttle

More vintage, warm, plenty of punch = RH450

Roughly...

Well i'm in drop C tuning, so it's quite deep already. I like a lot of definition but not too bright, I usually roll the tweeters on my cab down a bit. I like the tone flea gets. i've got a GK 1001RB-II at the moment which gets me the sound I like, but its a bit too heavy to carry around everywhere (its in the f/s section)

Just used it at a couple more gigs.

My God, it's ridiculously good. I love this amp so much.

At the mo, i'm just running it with an almost default EQ (same EQ points, couple of clicks back on the hi-mid, couple of clicks up on the lo) and it's delightful.

[quote name='jjl5590' post='795952' date='Apr 4 2010, 08:03 PM']Well i'm in drop C tuning, so it's quite deep already. I like a lot of definition but not too bright, I usually roll the tweeters on my cab down a bit. I like the tone flea gets. i've got a GK 1001RB-II at the moment which gets me the sound I like, but its a bit too heavy to carry around everywhere (its in the f/s section)[/quote]

Hmmm...I would give the rh a try if you can. Flea never seems sizzly to me...more warm and focussed. That's my preferred slap tone anyway...I'm not into sizzly high treble.

If you find yourself rolling off tweets, the Genz might be just too hi fi and bright. This is just IMO.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='799702' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:27 PM']Once again, every time I use this amp I feel compelled to post here to say how great it is.

I wish I'd bought one earlier...[/quote]
I'm glad this one worked out for you Micheal - considering the size, feature set, power AND tone its a hell of a good little amp. The only problem is I've started to rely on the little features it has which sort of screws me up when I have to use someone else rig at a gig! :)

• 4 months later...

Dragging this thread from the dead with an observation...

I've struggled with my tone at the last couple of gigs. It's sounded flat, 'dry' and lifeless. Frankly, it's been irritating me but I haven't really had the time to look into it in any great depth...

...until tonight. At half-time, I had a mooch and realised the preset level (shift + Tubetone) had been dialled right down somehow, at some point.

I rolled it back up to 3o'clock (where is used to be) and suddenly the amp came alive again! It opened up with big, fat, responsive, rich tone. Yay!

It made me wonder, though.. how many people try these amps with the preset dialled down, and have passed on them because they don't sound great..?

Something to bear in mind if you're thinking of trying one...

Isn't the preset level just an additional volume 'balancing' control?

I'm not sure I understand why this would effect the core tone (other than reducing/increasing volume)?

I always have mine around 12 o'clock with slight adjustments for each preset so they all have similar levels.

[quote name='molan' post='939233' date='Aug 29 2010, 10:08 AM']Isn't the preset level just an additional volume 'balancing' control?

I'm not sure I understand why this would effect the core tone (other than reducing/increasing volume)?

I always have mine around 12 o'clock with slight adjustments for each preset so they all have similar levels.[/quote]

You would think!

When I accidentally had the preset volume set to 9o'clock, and I had the master volume cranked to compensate, it just sounded flat and lifeless.

As soon as I realised my mistake, and cranked the preset volume to where it should be (I go for 3o'clock) and rolled the master back to compensate, it just burst into life and became the amp I remember. It was punchier, more responsive...

I can't really explain it as there's nothing on the block diagram that suggests anything else changes when you crank the preset volume. The difference was eye-watering - literally 'tin-pot toy' vs. 'proper man's amp'.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='939131' date='Aug 29 2010, 01:16 AM']Dragging this thread from the dead with an observation...

I've struggled with my tone at the last couple of gigs. It's sounded flat, 'dry' and lifeless. Frankly, it's been irritating me but I haven't really had the time to look into it in any great depth...

...until tonight. At half-time, I had a mooch and realised the preset level (shift + Tubetone) had been dialled right down somehow, at some point.

I rolled it back up to 3o'clock (where is used to be) and suddenly the amp came alive again! It opened up with big, fat, responsive, rich tone. Yay!

It made me wonder, though.. how many people try these amps with the preset dialled down, and have passed on them because they don't sound great..?

Something to bear in mind if you're thinking of trying one...[/quote]

Wow thanxs buddy ------I was getting worried about my RH450 till I checked my settings after reading this, and I found I had same problem!

Its back up to my normal setting, and have got my RebelHead smile back again :)

Regards

Will.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='939131' date='Aug 29 2010, 01:16 AM']Dragging this thread from the dead with an observation...

Something to bear in mind if you're thinking of trying one...[/quote]

Big +1

I tested one with a few Sadowsky Metros a while back up here. This was before I tested it properly.

Well, as much as the Sadowskys sounded a little fragile anyway, (I tried a normal American Fender Jazz as well, and it sounded much richer) I wasnt blown away. The preset was on pretty low, and the EQ had been well messed about with.

As soon as I went elsewhere (a little test at the Bass Merchant) with a few small EQ tweaks, and a flat setting, the amp sounded incredibly huge.

You can definitely tell the technology that TC state is inside (eg not just a tubetone for grit, but tube push emulation on the pre and post power section) works. The more you push the amp, is just growls right back at you, and seems to want to give more and more volume!

The preset volume level is great for having different basses (eg active/passive, and a DB as well if you wanted). I normally keep the level quite high.