Why become a member? ×

New amp day.. TC RH450 in the house...

wateroftyne

[quote name='molan' post='939317' date='Aug 29 2010, 12:51 PM']Just adding to this - I've heard people worry about the RH450 being under-powered. I wonder if it's the same issue?[/quote]

I think this is a large part of it.

That, and people think 450W isnt loud enough. TC seems to have rated it quite conservatively, more like a Trace rating.

There is a ton of volume in this amp. Ive never needed it over about a 1/3 so far. The more you whack the tube tone up a little (eg 1/3 for a little hair on the notes) then crank the master, you get serious volume.

[quote name='molan' post='939317' date='Aug 29 2010, 12:51 PM']Just adding to this - I've heard people worry about the RH450 being under-powered. I wonder if it's the same issue?[/quote]
I'm pretty sure it is. Unless you play stadiums without PA support, this amp has enough power...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='939364' date='Aug 29 2010, 02:30 PM']I'm pretty sure it is. Unless you play stadiums without PA support, this amp has enough power...[/quote]

Hmmmm! Interesting! I'd be interested to hear how it fairs up against a very loud band. I've done pretty well so far to not GAS for one of these!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='783498' date='Mar 23 2010, 03:40 PM']Hi folks

Look what the postman just delivered to work, thanks to the lovely Mark at Bass Direct:

Ordered it 2pm yesterday.. that's quick!

The story:

Unfortunately my new car's boot is smaller than my old one, even though it's the same model. Something had to go, and my beloved MPulse got the chop.

*gulp*

First impressions re: construction... it's a LOT more solid and well-made than I expected (don't know why I thought it wouldn't be). It's a quality bit of kit which feels reassuringly solid, but light. The fitted case is lovely too, and was only 20-odd quid!

This is probably the biggest gamble I've made on a blind amp purchase. Most people seem to love them, but a few don't take to them so well. I do know that my previous forays into micro amps have been OK, but I've missed the WHUMP of an old-school power section.

I've done my research and apparently the TC is a cut above, so fingers crossed...![/quote]

That's the second amp you've had delivered to work in a couple of weeks. Are you hiding them from the wife?

So I got to use my RH450 for the first time at a rehearsal last night (I've gigged with it but obviously I can 'play' a lot more whilst rehearsing).

I dialled in three nice pre-sets, one relatively flat with a little low end boost to match the 10" cab I was using. Next up was an older school type sound with low boost, some tweaking of mid range frequencies & a decent wedge of tube tone. Last up was an attempt at an SWR kind of low mid scoop & compression. First two had the preset volume set at about 1:00 & the mid scoop needed some extra boost here to get it up to the same level.

What a revelation!

Best sound I've ever managed through a small rehearsal sized rig, all three of the presets worked really well. Had to drop the tubetone right down as it got too growly for my needs but other than that it just worked really well at some decent volume. Got some more of those - "how do you get that tone / volume from such a small rig" type comments from the rest of the band.

One thing I really noticed was how well the amp/speaker combo seemed to respond to playing nuances. You could really hear a difference when digging in a bit harder. I loved just watching the notes appear on the pedal as I was playing too, lol.

N.B. I should add that it's also the firs time I've taken a Fodera ('86 Monarch) to rehearsals so that probably helped a little :)

[quote name='dood' post='942637' date='Sep 1 2010, 08:41 PM']Hmmm - definitely interested in A/Bing one out of sheer interest. It puts up a good argument [i]for[/i] it thats for sure.[/quote]

Not sure where 'predator country' is but if it's anywhere near me then you're welcome to have a play on mine any time :)

[quote name='molan' post='942749' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:20 PM']Not sure where 'predator country' is but if it's anywhere near me then you're welcome to have a play on mine any time :)[/quote]

That's very kind of you! - Predator Country, good ole Naaaarfulk! - See, as a Predator, the pickings are easy up here ;o) nomm nommm! - Might be a bit far away at the moment. However, if the local Bass Bash happens, then mebbe we'll have an opportunity to give it a whirl!

[quote name='dood' post='942838' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:41 PM']That's very kind of you! - Predator Country, good ole Naaaarfulk! - See, as a Predator, the pickings are easy up here ;o) nomm nommm! - Might be a bit far away at the moment. However, if the local Bass Bash happens, then mebbe we'll have an opportunity to give it a whirl![/quote]
Dood, if you get bored and fancy a trek southwards to "Mongland" as my cockney friend Dennis used to call it (or Suffolk to the rest of us) your're welcome to pop round and have a blast.

J

Played my fairly new Jap Jazz bass out through my TC rig at a recent practice, it sounded amazing doing covers like "won't get fooled again" and other rocky stuff, where cutting through 2 noisy buggers with 6 strings is needed, this is a massive contrast to the motownyish sound I've been pushing for through it recently on other projects with my Pbass, in my humble opinion this amp can do so much, it still feels like a new toy

Only draw back is it only has 3 presets! So many great settings to save

+ i'll also join in, im near esher in surrey if anyone wants to check a tc rig out:)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='dood' post='945465' date='Sep 4 2010, 03:55 PM']I'm tempted by one of the eBay ones - refurbished with a free foot controller![/quote]

The ones from New York?

Assuming these are in good nick then they are a pretty good price even with shipping and duties.

I looked at the Staccato but it still carries quite a premium and they don't include the footswitch (at least the one I saw didn't anyway).

Yeah, they're the ones. Shipping isn't too bad - and I hope that excise/handling wont be too bad - If I get stung it'll be 20% which will be another 100 quid on top I reckon. which is still flippin good with the controler as well. I'm thinking about jumping on it - I only got another F1 recently - which I love - but I'm coming round to the idea of having the multiband comp, tube sim and parametric EQ all on one unit - I can then sell the TC Nova Dynamics, EBS Multicomp and the F1 as well if I need a bit of cash.

GAS! *rolling eyes!* - oh well - I need a bit of cheering up!

So - little addendum to my TC Electronics thoughts.

Having got close to a sound I wanted out of my RH450 when rehearsing I was still coming up a bit short on my old favourite '80's mid-scoop sound. Still lacking that top end zing I've always liked.

Went out and read lots of reviews & comparisons on the Staccato '51 and decided to take the plunge and bought one to test back to back with the RH450.

I have to say I'm amazed at how different they sound 'out of the box'. I knew the frequency centres had all been changed & the top end had been opened up but the core sound of the amp seems different to me as well. Feels like there's some compression dialled in even when it's set flat & maybe a little more drive through the TubeTone as well.

I'm very happy to say that the base sound with everything set flat is pretty much exactly what I was after - couldn't believe just how 'right' it sounded to me. I knew I'd like some of the top end but was worried it might be a bit too bottom heavy for me having read about this in some reviews but it's just great!

The factory setting wasn't actually with everything set flat, it had the compression & the tube tone at 12:00 and this sounded very nice too, touch too much compression (although this was quite dependent on which bass was running through it).

I then had a go at replicating a 'stock' RH450 tone, got vaguely close but still hearing more top end, may need to play with that a bit.

Of course the big clincher is the colour - I haven't seen a single pic that really does the bright metallic red finish any sort of justice :)

Anyone else here got/tried a Staccato - I haven't spotted any yet?

Oops - one thing I hadn't noticed before was that the 'factory' setting for the pre-set volume is full on. (I tested this by using the full re-set option on my RH450).

This means they want you to use this to turn individual pre-sets 'down' rather than 'up' in order to balance volumes. I realise this may be semantics but it does make quite a difference to how I'm now viewing this control.

My RH450 was used when I got it and the pre-set volumes were all set either very low or off so I used them to boost volumes rather than cut. After WOT's comments I raised the boost a lot higher than previously but I'm definitely now going to have my lowest volume pre-set on maximum & work down from there with the others.

Am I making any sense here or just rambling, lol. . .

Barrie, well I tried to tell you that, back in June, when I said "Perhaps the Staccato model would have suited you more.."

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=69137&hl=Staccato&st=222"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...cato&st=222[/url]
:)

[quote name='molan' post='952022' date='Sep 10 2010, 05:13 PM']So - little addendum to my TC Electronics thoughts.

Having got close to a sound I wanted out of my RH450 when rehearsing I was still coming up a bit short on my old favourite '80's mid-scoop sound. Still lacking that top end zing I've always liked.

Went out and read lots of reviews & comparisons on the Staccato '51 and decided to take the plunge and bought one to test back to back with the RH450.

I have to say I'm amazed at how different they sound 'out of the box'. I knew the frequency centres had all been changed & the top end had been opened up but the core sound of the amp seems different to me as well. Feels like there's some compression dialled in even when it's set flat & maybe a little more drive through the TubeTone as well.

I'm very happy to say that the base sound with everything set flat is pretty much exactly what I was after - couldn't believe just how 'right' it sounded to me. I knew I'd like some of the top end but was worried it might be a bit too bottom heavy for me having read about this in some reviews but it's just great!

The factory setting wasn't actually with everything set flat, it had the compression & the tube tone at 12:00 and this sounded very nice too, touch too much compression (although this was quite dependent on which bass was running through it).

I then had a go at replicating a 'stock' RH450 tone, got vaguely close but still hearing more top end, may need to play with that a bit.

Of course the big clincher is the colour - I haven't seen a single pic that really does the bright metallic red finish any sort of justice :rolleyes:

Anyone else here got/tried a Staccato - I haven't spotted any yet?[/quote]

[quote name='Platypus' post='952385' date='Sep 11 2010, 12:18 AM']Barrie, well I tried to tell you that, back in June, when I said "Perhaps the Staccato model would have suited you more.."

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=69137&hl=Staccato&st=222"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...cato&st=222[/url]
:rolleyes:[/quote]

Lol - only problem was that they were a grand back then :)

Much cheaper now - yay :lol:

[quote name='molan' post='952022' date='Sep 10 2010, 05:13 PM']So - little addendum to my TC Electronics thoughts.

Of course the big clincher is the colour - I haven't seen a single pic that really does the bright metallic red finish any sort of justice :rolleyes:

Anyone else here got/tried a Staccato - I haven't spotted any yet?[/quote]

Barrie and I have been havin' a good chinwag via PM, Indeed an RH450 and controller has arrived at Dood Towers for a bit of playtime too :) Comments will be forthcoming in time!