Why become a member? ×

In searching for your ultimate bass

Golchen

I find that whenever I get a new instrument (after a careful selection process), be it bass, guitar or whatever, it always seems like the best I’ve ever had. However, after a reasonably long period of time once the honeymoon period has been and gone, I sometimes reassess and get GAS for something different. Anyway, after a year of owning my current bass I’d say that I’m still 95% satisfied with it, but I’m wondering if I should still look for something that is 100% satisfaction? Is it worth changing just to reach 96% satisfaction? The complication is that I’m generally in a sell to buy scenario so there’s no going back!

Are you 100% satisfied with your best bass?

[quote name='Golchen' post='771549' date='Mar 11 2010, 01:10 PM']Are you 100% satisfied with your best bass?[/quote]
My favourite bass is my CIJ Mustang
I'm 100% happy with how it plays & sounds, but it would be 100% perfect in looks if it was exactly the same but Daphne blue and with 'lollypop' tuners (I might put on some lollypop hipshot ultralites).

At the moment I'm 100% happy with my tanglewood 'rosewood reserve' acoustic bass though, but give me time to get more used to it & I'll probably find something to niggle about.

[quote name='Golchen' post='771549' date='Mar 11 2010, 01:10 PM']I find that whenever I get a new instrument (after a careful selection process), be it bass, guitar or whatever, it always seems like the best I’ve ever had. However, after a reasonably long period of time once the honeymoon period has been and gone, I sometimes reassess and get GAS for something different. Anyway, after a year of owning my current bass I’d say that I’m still 95% satisfied with it, but I’m wondering if I should still look for something that is 100% satisfaction? Is it worth changing just to reach 96% satisfaction? The complication is that I’m generally in a sell to buy scenario so there’s no going back!

Are you 100% satisfied with your best bass?[/quote]
I'm the same as you. But I may have learned my lesson. My Warwicks are close to perfect. It would be easy to make them perfect.

But, after saying I hate playing them, I am GASsing for a 4001 at the moment. I'm going to have to borrow a friend's to see if I can relieve myself of this idiocy.

[quote name='silddx' post='771572' date='Mar 11 2010, 01:27 PM']I am GASsing for a 4001 at the moment. I'm going to have to borrow a friend's to see if I can relieve myself of this idiocy.[/quote]

A Warwick to a 4001! Good job. When it doesn't work out get yourself a Precision.....

.......with a fish on it

I'm happy with my current bass, it suits my needs. But I'm not 100% happy with it. It's a fine instrument for the money and would recommend one if anyone asks. Sometimes it just lacks a little something.

If I were to be gigging regularly I would probably look for a different bass, but would try my hardest to find one that was as close to 'ultimate' as possible.

I don't get GAS, because I think an instrument is better or out of desire just to have it. I tend to invent 'valid' reasons as to why I need to have a different bass. These have so far been shot down in flames through the application of common sense and the intervention of Mrs M.

Edited by Marvin

I'm happy with my Ibanez, so much so that I've had it for almost 10 years and only just really started gassing for a new bass (and that's only because I got a new amp and saw all the lovely basses while I was looking at amps).

The only problem I've ever had with it is that it's got an incredibly low output, but it still sounds fantastic. It's just needs to be cranked with DIs.

I guess kind of but all my basses are different. My stingray looks the best. Perfect shape, angles and design but the sound has never been 100% to my liking although its better now through my new Aggy cabs than previous cabs. My Warwick Corvette on the other hand looks stunning and sounds stunning but its a smaller body and longer neck which is not the most comfortable to me. Plus the sound is amazing but can sound a bit thin for heavier rock type stuff. My Fender 75 Jazz is the nicest, easiest, most comfortable bass I have ever played. However, the sound is good but not 100%. Plus the natural look is not as nice as the natural look on the Warwick. So they all have pros and cons but non are 100% perfect. If I had to pick one then it would be a close call between the Fender 75 Jazz and the Stingray.

[quote name='Linus27' post='772195' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:15 PM']I guess kind of but all my basses are different. My stingray looks the best. Perfect shape, angles and design but the sound has never been 100% to my liking although its better now through my new Aggy cabs than previous cabs. My Warwick Corvette on the other hand looks stunning and sounds stunning but its a smaller body and longer neck which is not the most comfortable to me. Plus the sound is amazing but can sound a bit thin for heavier rock type stuff. My Fender 75 Jazz is the nicest, easiest, most comfortable bass I have ever played. However, the sound is good but not 100%. Plus the natural look is not as nice as the natural look on the Warwick. So they all have pros and cons but non are 100% perfect. If I had to pick one then it would be a close call between the Fender 75 Jazz and the Stingray.[/quote]
Linus im interested to know why the 75 is not quite the 100% sound you want..im guessing the comparison between that and the SR4 is the slight thinness of low end punch...or am i wrong bro? I played an SR4 through an Ashdown for the first time in pub a while ago and it was incredible...love the low end of the SR4...what does a jazz sound like with a humbucker

Edited by bubinga5

I'm 99% happy with my Peavey T-40. I'll be 100% happy once I have a truss rod key for it and can then get it's neck fixed just how I like. Apart from the fretless I have I don't need any other basses at all, as the T-40 suits all of my needs exactly. Which is nice.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='772197' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:22 PM']Linus im interested to know why the 75 is not quite the 100% sound you want..im guessing the comparison between that and the SR4 is the slight thinness of low end punch...or am i wrong bro? I played an SR4 through an Ashdown for the first time in pub a while ago and it was incredible...love the low end of the SR4...what does a jazz sound like with a humbucker[/quote]

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with the 75 Jazz, its just not quite perfect for me. It's very vintage sounding and a little muddy on the E string. This is a very good thing but not 100% to my liking. I posted up a bunch of soundclips of all my basses, the 75 Jazz, the Stingray, the Corvette and my ESP Jazz. The ESP Jazz was voted as the nicest sounding bass with some saying its the bass that sounds the most like a Jazz bass.

Compared to the SR4, the 75 Jazz has a bigger bottom end but I am putting that down to the vintage tone of the bass.

Yep! Completely 100% with My Fender Jaguar. Not a thing I'd change.
My Ol' Flying V, yeah, about 75% happy with it. Just the weight & neck dive I don't like.

If you're 95% happy - where's the 5%? Surely you could make some mods?

IMHO, if you rate a bass at 95% perfect, thats pretty good odds :lol:

I feel that the only way that you can hope for 100% is by ordering a custom build, from an excellent Luthier, who can build to your exact specifications.

I also feel that you could factor in a certain value for money when rating a bass as well. but I guess that cost is not involved in this thread, it based on how a bass feels, and performs.

The closest I have to 100% for me, is my old Rickenbacker 4001. It always feels so right, regardless of whether I am playing with a strap, or just sat with it resting on my knee. I absolutely love the tone of it through my SVT as well. I've often thought about getting another, so I don't kill this one, as I am rather attached to it. :rolleyes: But that's just me. Some people would rather suck the juice out of a slug, than play a Ric! :) :lol:

Close contenders would also be the Gibson Les Paul I recently got in a trade with Clarky72, and the 76 Thunderbird. the 'bird just shouts ROOCCKK! Not as hideous to play as some would have you believe, and it sounds huge :brow:

Come to think of it.......My Squier Affinity Jazz bass! Nothing wrong with really. Just needed a decent set of pickups :lol:

[quote name='retroman' post='774479' date='Mar 14 2010, 05:45 PM']Some people would rather suck the juice out of a slug, than play a Ric! :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Guilty, yer honour.

I think it's probably rare that anyone would rate their bass at 100% after a few years. Basses aren't perfect, there's no bass that can cover every sound possible so 100% isn't possible. When you get a new one, it's exciting and you'd give it a higher score than usual, once you've had it a while, you want something else and you'd score your bass lower than you otherwise would.

Well, I dunno about that. It is possible to find a bass that suits you as a player and you like how it sounds right across the board. This is why I'm sold on the T-40. I now don't need nor want any other basses apart from a fretless I have - but only because I can't get my hands (yet) on a fretless T-40... :)