Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

6 hours ago, spacecowboy said:

Last night we headlined the Off The Rails event in Leamington Spa. We only got an hour to play, considering we usually play for 3 it felt like it was over before it began, but really awesome night. 

New things learned though, playing in arches with lots of walls and chambers and...well arches meant the sound went everywhere, P Bass sounded incredible as usual. 

ANL_OTR_01.thumb.jpg.5981a9a4e8cd9e47bc050132c14d3f95.jpg

ANL_OTR_02.thumb.jpg.be64baa4961a82be46b29c23d2f30897.jpg

ANL_OTR_07.thumb.jpg.8310d89b8047afde509cbd030b7f74b1.jpg

ANL_OTR_03.thumb.jpg.d4bb0eef83fcf804128de5b7451bc1bf.jpg

ANL_OTR_09.thumb.jpg.ce09a49be91193ae1fa4406f70852afb.jpg

ANL_OTR_08.thumb.jpg.d1b95b9d9eff856b37b90364c25d3fa8.jpg

Probably before your time, but does anyone in Leamington remember Head In A Helix?

A nice change from the pub gigs with pisht punters on Friday night - album launch gig (Persona Non Grata by Noel Fraser - it's on all the streaming sites) for my erstwhile Singist/BL...he's gone all Country(ish), hence the daft hat and my check shirt. Unusual venue (tho a touch epic), the sound was apparently good out front, but onstage it was the swirly, bouncy, reverby nightmare I'd feared. The drummer was using a mix of sticks, hotrods and brushes, and he and I had to have his drums in our monitor , because even standing next to him it was tough to hear what he was playing on the more subtle songs...a good evening, though...

image.thumb.png.d87dee3f857c7946ca1e652de39e3aa4.png

I like this one, tho it's more about the bass than me...

image.thumb.png.7924b977e8d49904cb99046a4906954f.png 

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Unusual venue (tho a touch epic), the sound was apparently good out front, but onstage it was the swirly, bouncy, reverby nightmare I'd feared.

Although they look good, they can be a bit of a nightmare for sound. Still, make a change!

Nice Uberhorn photo!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vmaxblues said:

Great gig at one of our local music venues, first outing for my Rics, which performed amazingly well!  Nice Bank Holiday vibe, 

4738c25d-1822-411e-b509-4df481e218f1.jpeg

4a79dbd0-1c19-4692-8c0b-9442fbe35fa6.jpeg

That's the first 5 stringer Ric i've seen in use at a gig. Nice one and love the colour.

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vmaxblues said:

Great gig at one of our local music venues, first outing for my Rics, which performed amazingly well!  Nice Bank Holiday vibe, 

4738c25d-1822-411e-b509-4df481e218f1.jpeg

4a79dbd0-1c19-4692-8c0b-9442fbe35fa6.jpeg

Gordon Bennett’s must be one of the most frequent venues featured on here!

• Like 2

Just now, vmaxblues said:

Gordon Bennetts is pretty much the only dedicated music venue in Hereford!

I once played in Hereford in mid 80's. Have no idea where but i'm sure it was near a cattle market if i remember right. Could it have been The Market Bar ? Memory not so good from that era in my life.

That was a wee tour i was doing with my broken leg. Crutches and all. 

Happy Days

Dave

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, vmaxblues said:

That would have been the Market Tavern I am guessing, that was a great sorely missed venue.

I can honestly say i have no recollection of the venue or how the gig even went. I know all the gigs we did were great nights but individually just can't remember. Was a popular rock venue in 80's.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

12 hours ago, vmaxblues said:

Gordon Bennetts is pretty much the only dedicated music venue in Hereford!

Unfortunately, it only seems to put on covers bands... Though I gather there's a new owner who may change this...

We've played The Victory, The Herdsman, The Plough, Booth Hall (RIP!), The Jam Factory and that weird underground place by the river, but never had a sniff of Gordon Bennett's!

• Like 1

IMG_0844.thumb.jpeg.65c94c849e8d738166fa053876a49a0d.jpeg

So, we’re setting up for an Islamabad open air spring festival… 6 bands and plenty of side stalls. Typically 36 degrees and sunny all week then a thunderstorm this morning. Hopefully the weather behaves itself for the next 24 hours as we’ve postponed it once already due to storms. I’m in three of the bands so should be a long but satisfying Saturday! 

• Like 14

Posted (edited)

Hot and sweaty gig with the Andy Wales Blues Band at the Flying Circus in Newark last night. Lovely summer evening.

I travelled light and just took my Yamaha BB604 - usually the last thing I’d associate with a blues band (when there’s a choice of a precision for example…) but in that format it worked really nicely. Got plenty of grit and punch if you play it hard, but smooth and fat if you ease off the gas a bit. 

Anyway, nice gig and for the bonus of seeing the northern lights on the way home. Pulled over on some dark country roads to watch them. 

IMG_3822.jpeg

IMG_3885.jpeg

IMG_3884.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 15

Another wee Sold Out gig at Polmont Bowling Club. Lots of dancing, fun and just a great night by everyone.

Half time sandwiches and drinks thrown in too.

Used the Godin and the Handbox WB100 with Mesa SW210/115 cabs. Band members said the bass sounded more full. I still need to work on the hi-mids for better clarity at the top end tho. At moment i'm hearing bass and treble. A little more experimentation required

Did have an aching back last night so thought i'd check the Godin weight and its 8.6lbs compared to 8 with my Sandberg VM4. Was a long gig tho started at 8pm, had a 30min break from 9:30pm to 10 and played until 11:40pm and then a rake of requests for pics with the band.

Paid at half time and feedback was excellent.

Got asked if we would be interested in doing a Dec gig at a venue in Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh. Guy was specifically there to see us with a view to book  and was very impressed.  3-4 other enquiries on how to book the band too so all in all a productive night.

Approx 1 hr drive home with virtually no traffic on country roads so that was great. I know these roads well from when i worked at Grangemouth for many many years.

Dave

• Like 12

On 05/05/2024 at 13:17, Boodang said:

Not traditional covers band in what way?! 

We do some Susan Tedeschi, John Prine, Buddy Miles and some Tom Petty. Not traditional covers. And our band is very heavy on guitar solos. Traditional covers in my area are the bands that play "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey 

Daryl

IMG_20240301_181810.jpg

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

We do some Susan Tedeschi, John Prine, Buddy Miles and some Tom Petty. Not traditional covers. And our band is very heavy on guitar solos. Traditional covers in my area are the bands that play "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey 

Daryl

IMG_20240301_181810.jpg

Used to love that Journey song until it was played to death on TV and radio. That bl**ming GLEE has a lot to answer for. It killed that song.

Dave

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IMG_0856.thumb.jpeg.f7e992513cbd672e2e22c26e11ffacb3.jpeg

Islamabad spring music festival finally went ahead. Stayed dry with a bit of cloud so not stupidly hot (only 35C at the height of the day). I played in three of the bands but the most fun was a Hendrix tribute as I found a guitarist who’s been inhabited with the spirit of Jimi…. Started with ‘Fire’ and ended with Voodoo and guitarist leaning his guitar live against the amp as he walked off stage, much to the consternation of the sound guy who wasn’t paying much attention until the howling feedback. 
Modest turn out but everyone stayed until the end and the food stalls were serving up great food. Right at the end as we were packing up lightning appeared in the sky and it was a mad scrabble to get everything packed away before it tipped it down but we got it done. All the bands used my Yamaha DTX ekit and it sounded superb through the PA. Getting 6 bands worth of musicians together was like herding cats but well worth it in the end. 

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 15

Another Hereford gig to report. The Hey Yahs, wedding gig with the 6 piece line up at the Left Bank. First runout for the updated playback rig I run. Previously we ran two tracks one with click and a guide (me calling titles, cues etc) and the other was track (percussion, fx, occasional additional keys or guitar) and if no horns, horn tracks as well. This was a result of using tracks as an experiment to begin with, now we’re all in it needed improving, so up to four tracks now, separate guide, click, track and horns if necessary. Next stage is get enough money in the pot to go for 8 outs interface. This worked really well tonight though, singers much happier they could remove the click entirely, I don’t need the guide as much. Crowd were good, more interested in being outside earlier on but on the dance floor later, 2 encores.

IMG_7865.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

I can join in again! 4 Play (👊🙄) back in action after a 3 month break… Greyhound, Sutton Bridge. Singer was sober for once… made a modicum of difference. Played ok, decent enough turnout but quieter than usual. Usual Fender Dimension USA 5 into GK/Barefaced. Rock solid as always. Completely GAS free.

TBH suspect many folks opted for garden/BBQ given the weather. Frankly, I’d rather have been in my summerhouse with gin but there we go!

Nice Sunday afternoon gig at a more middle class pub next weekend.

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 11

IMG_0849.thumb.jpeg.c13886ef1a842a78f907ab0f0c6d4f12.jpeg

Side note from the Islamabad spring festival…. As usual the electrics were a feat of improvisation. Don’t bother bringing your mains tester because as normal there was no earth. The electricians tapped into the floodlighting, the outside insulation of the cable stopped about a foot short of a wooden box with the two inner cables going to block terminals for distribution with no cover. The whole system had no fuses or rcd’s! And extending cables were done the traditional way of twisting bare cable together and adding insulation tape. Don’t touch a microphone and your guitar at the same time! Btw this is how every venue or event is put together here. This is what you walk past everyday….
IMG_0065.thumb.jpeg.be8459204b65a82e64bb27acb5d270d2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Boodang said:

IMG_0849.thumb.jpeg.c13886ef1a842a78f907ab0f0c6d4f12.jpeg

Side note from the Islamabad spring festival…. As usual the electrics were a feat of improvisation. Don’t bother bringing your mains tester because as normal there was no earth. The electricians tapped into the floodlighting, the outside insulation of the cable stopped about a foot short of a wooden box with the two inner cables going to block terminals for distribution with no cover. The whole system had no fuses or rcd’s! And extending cables were done the traditional way of twisting bare cable together and adding insulation tape. Don’t touch a microphone and your guitar at the same time! Btw this is how every venue or event is put together here. This is what you walk past everyday….
IMG_0065.thumb.jpeg.be8459204b65a82e64bb27acb5d270d2.jpeg

Appears Basschat doesn’t have an appropriate emoji for this! 😵😵😵

• Like 3