Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, WalMan said:

Prog gig tonight and took a large proportion of my gear

- Big Baby 2 with the Darkglass, small pedalboard and BassRevolt for the bass

- 2 x One10’s with Aguilar TH350 for the bass pedals

- was lending the other BB2 to the keys but couldn’t get the mixer and power amp that had worked fine Thursday night wouldn’t at the gig🤬

Generally went well and the crowd were really appreciative which was nice.

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

T’was a great gig Alan, and so nice to see everyone again, it’s been a long long time. Glad I didn’t help with your load out 🤣.keep the prog flag flying! 
Jeff x 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WalMan said:

Prog gig tonight and took a large proportion of my gear

- Big Baby 2 with the Darkglass, small pedalboard and BassRevolt for the bass

- 2 x One10’s with Aguilar TH350 for the bass pedals

- was lending the other BB2 to the keys but couldn’t get the mixer and power amp that had worked fine Thursday night wouldn’t at the gig🤬

Generally went well and the crowd were really appreciative which was nice.

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

I love that BF/Tonehammer stack... my GASlight is on!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Paisley has just changed its parking regulations so they'll have the wardens out trying to catch as many folks out before they get used to the new regs. Its a bit of a pain in Paisley as any time i've been there its never been "that" busy. Shame as it could kill off the town centre completely.

I'm always worried about parking at The Cave in the road up to The Bungalow.

Dave

Same happened in Sheffield Dave, we’ve now crossed city centre off our gig area list - the parking costs were bad enough and venues can’t afford the price hike if we pass it on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, tubbybloke68 said:

T’was a great gig Alan, and so nice to see everyone again, it’s been a long long time. Glad I didn’t help with your load out 🤣.keep the prog flag flying! 
Jeff x 

Cheers Jeff good to catch up again after the SEBB. Funnily enough I was last out on the load out (though I did get caught chatting to friends rather than packing up 🤦‍♂️)

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I love that BF/Tonehammer stack... my GASlight is on!

Just seen a phone clip of Court of the Crimson King from the back of the room last night. The BF/TH was running a Moog Model D soft synth on my iPad with the 12Step and sounded thunderous 🤩

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Same happened in Sheffield Dave, we’ve now crossed city centre off our gig area list - the parking costs were bad enough and venues can’t afford the price hike if we pass it on.

Sad for city centre venues and for a lot of bands that just can't afford to play there these days.

Lot of venues in Glasgow will be feeling it.

Glasgow also has certain roads only for buses during day time hrs but open up after 6pm to all traffic. Its not exactly clear when you're trying to navigate traffic and pedestrians just wandering across roads as and wherever they like so its easy to miss a road sign.

Too many traffic lights and road signs in one area can cause people to miss something. Its brain overload at times.

Every time i go into Glasgow they've changed the road layout and traffic management system.

One night after a Glasgow rehearsal 1-12pm they had closed off the slip road onto the motorway and the diversion was in thru the town centre. What happens if your car is not ULEZ compliant but you have no option.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

57 minutes ago, WalMan said:

Just seen a phone clip of Court of the Crimson King from the back of the room last night. The BF/TH was running a Moog Model D soft synth on my iPad with the 12Step and sounded thunderous 🤩

Stop it, you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WalMan said:

Cheers Jeff good to catch up again after the SEBB. Funnily enough I was last out on the load out (though I did get caught chatting to friends rather than packing up 🤦‍♂️)

What's the band called @WalMan. I'm a big fan of Prog and love hearing covers of classic prog songs.

Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What's the band called @WalMan. I'm a big fan of Prog and love hearing covers of classic prog songs.

Dave

The band is Epsilon. Sadly doesn’t get to gig often as getting everyone together is akin to herding cats. I also have The Volunteer Club as a recording project with one of the guitarists from The Alibi as a progish non gigging project.

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, martthebass said:

Yup, we got clobbered recently when we did Sheffield City Hall. If I’m not mistaken, you can’t check

anywhere as to what you owe either, you just pay it or risk a fine when you haven’t paid it. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, casapete said:

Yup, we got clobbered recently when we did Sheffield City Hall. If I’m not mistaken, you can’t check

anywhere as to what you owe either, you just pay it or risk a fine when you haven’t paid it. 🤨

Not great is it mate, there’s been a few centre venues looking for acts - must be having an effect. We tend to stay out of city centre now - particularly Bradford 🤬

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did sound with a friend and his new PA in a village hall up the Tweed Valley. Interesting options for bass amplification. Two nice vintage drum kits but only got pics of one.

20240309_193226.jpg

20240309_220623.jpg

20240309_220633.jpg

20240309_220653.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kickass said:

Did sound with a friend and his new PA in a village hall up the Tweed Valley. Interesting options for bass amplification. Two nice vintage drum kits but only got pics of one.

20240309_193226.jpg

20240309_220623.jpg

20240309_220633.jpg

20240309_220653.jpg

Poor guy on bass, we need to set up a crowdfunding to purchase him some shoes. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Rotherham Real Ale and Music Festival at Magna yesterday. One I've always wanted to do. 

Sound engineer was fantastic, my brother was in the audience and said the sound out-front was spot on. I assumed it would be as the woman doing sound asked me to play multiple times during the changeover/line-check. She actually cared about bass sounding good out front which is great! 

received_1885517455210154.jpeg

received_383729977790526.jpeg

IMG-20240309-WA0007.jpg

received_390238843946475.jpeg

• Like 16

Tiny little pub for us as we wind down the indie rock band, only 3 gigs left! Silly setup in a silly place, but I think we were super professional and hid the cables well enough...

The singer and lead guitarist went to plug the IEC cable into his amp and the thing just disintegrated, leaving the power socket inside the amp and inaccessible. Thankfully, because I'm lazy, I still had my other pedalboard in the car from practice a few nights ago so he ended up with my Sansamp and straight into the PA. Where was his spare stuff? Good question!

After the show a nice young man came up and told me that I sounded amazing and that Stingrays were his dream bass. He showed me pictures of a copy he had and everything. Sweet.

PXL_20240309_202407930.jpg

PXL_20240309_202426516.jpg

PXL_20240309_212746518.MP.jpg

PXL_20240309_202435568.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, martthebass said:

Not great is it mate, there’s been a few centre venues looking for acts - must be having an effect. We tend to stay out of city centre now - particularly Bradford 🤬

Problem with doing theatre gigs Mart is that most of them are in city centres, so no way to avoid it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, martthebass said:

I think staying out of Bradford is just generally good advice though...

Seriously though, I haven't been into Bradford city centre for probably 15 years, and a lot of our gigs are in the outskirts (sort of Cleckheaton-ish way) but I don't remember it being particularly car-friendly.

I sent a message to a city centre bar in Leeds the other day enquiring after a possible gig, but seeing what they've done to the city centre recently I'm slightly relieved not to have heard back from them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, asingardenof said:

I think staying out of Bradford is just generally good advice though...

Seriously though, I haven't been into Bradford city centre for probably 15 years, and a lot of our gigs are in the outskirts (sort of Cleckheaton-ish way) but I don't remember it being particularly car-friendly.

I sent a message to a city centre bar in Leeds the other day enquiring after a possible gig, but seeing what they've done to the city centre recently I'm slightly relieved not to have heard back from them.

First time I gigged in Bradford city centre I got hit with 2 tickets in the space of 5 minutes…my satnav had guided me into a bus/taxi lane twice.  Found out later that to do the turn into the venue, in order to miss the ticket you had to travel about half a mile out of the centre to come back in and do a left turn. Joyous…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/03/2024 at 02:57, StingRayBoy42 said:

TONIGHT!
The Meathead's Arms in Wolverhampton (a fight every night or your money back) with 5 piece girl singer pop music band!
(We go out under different names because of something something different agencies something... I don't like to ask)
Dep singer, lovely lass, worked with her before, ex-bandmate of the others, she's basically one of the lads.
Unfortunately, she'd not got the memo about no dress code, so she was was dressed up like (her words) a high-class prostitute and the rest of us were in scruffy T-shirts and jeans.
The football was on when we got there- the smell of testosterone, Ben Sherman shirts and poor quality cocaine made for an electric atmosphere.
Load in and setup all pretty normal, nice big stage area so I set up next to the drummer to keep him company.
A fair few people in, mostly ignoring us and waiting for Match of the Day to start so we treated it like a paid practice.
First set we played really well apart from Toxic which we messed up worse than Britney messed up 2007, luckily no-one was listening so we got away with it.
Second set had a couple of dancers and a few tables at the back seemed to be enjoying it.
The drummer and I had a great time while the keys player was frantically doing FOH sound, sorting out clicks, cueing the singer and occasionally playing some keys.

Highlights were the two Dua Lipa ones (Levitating and Don't start now) which are a blast to play, Murder on the Dancefloor (new one which we all complained about but now love) and Crazy in Love/Crazy mashup which I've FINALLY sussed out (It's really very simple, it goes 6, 4, 2. 8, 8, (4) 8, 10, Crazy, loads, 4(*), ending. Simple.) The drummer loves that one and plays it like he's getting paid by the note.

It was the first public outing of my new improved enormous pedalboard (NIEPB) which sounded fantastic - the SA C4 patch for Toxic is brilliant (shame we totally buggered the song up, but the Bass sounded great), the EBS Multicomp gives the sound a fat, round, warm punch in the guts but in a good way and I'm fairly sure the two metres of retina-destroying pink LEDs make it sound extra fabulous.
(It's not quite finished - when a certain online retailer who shall remain nameless bothers to post me the stuff I ordered over a week ago, I can hook up the patchbay AND have all matching red patch leads. Obviously, you can't tell they're red, what with the two metres of retina-destroying pink LEDs, but still...)

Played the 5 String 'Ray which is still a work in progress - I did find myself reverting to using the B as an expensive thumb rest when I switched to autopilot, but Rome wasn't burnt in a day and all that.

Second outing of the weekend for the rainbow Converse, foot fans!

Paid cash, shipping forecast on the way home, back about 1 for last nights curry with a pint of Westons Reserve (8.2% ABV), an Old Fashioned (Lots of ice, much bourbon (usually Maker's Mark but Four Roses tonight), sugar syrup (use maple syrup for a really good one), Angostura Bitters, lots of stirring and a twist of orange peel over the top) and most importantly of all, desperately seeking validation from strangers on the internet.

Cheers. Same again, please.

20240309_204417.jpg

You did char the orange peel right?

• Like 2

Punk gig with Emergency Exit last night 6-9pm so able to get a kebab on way home :laugh1:

Fairly busy but not packed. Few dancers throughout the evening.

Used the Godin Shifter Classic for its first gig. Took me a while to get a sound i enjoyed altho others said it sounded deep and more full sounding than my MarloweDK. I think my problem was where i was standing directly in front of the amp it was just hard to hear an accurate sound. Some vids appeared late last night and the bass sounds really nice so i think its a keeper. Great neck and very easy to play. Pick-ups are very hot on the Godin and i had to drop the compression level and gain quite a bit to stop peaking which is always my starting point for any new bass and then i start bringing the gain back up to get that little bit of overdrive.

New Pinegove strap i got from @walshy worked a treat with no shoulder aches at all.

Ampeg SVT7 and Mesa cabs

Great night with enthusiastic audience.

Dave

• Like 14

The Pipeline in Brighton last night. Fun but smaller crowd than we would have ideally liked (and I felt for the main act who drove all the way from Nottingham). Guess even a rainy Sunday night doesn't pull out all the goths! Anyhow, my make-or-break test run of Rickenbacker was OK but not as comfortable as my short scale Mustang

IMG-20240311-WA0005.jpg

• Like 19

Great gig for Red Heart rock band Saturday night although we had lighting issues !!

A lot of lights and lasers etc as part of our setup but at times the lighting was hard to see fretboard !!

Good crowd and we enjoyed playing Ipswich again after a two year break 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 13

Played Butlin’s Skegness last night - doing a

Semi-regular Monday slot there with a Nile Rodgers tribute over the coming season. Decent venue & crowd especially considering the time of year!

Rocking my MTD Saratoga 5 just like Bernard Edwards used to play, obviously 👀 😛

IMG_2548.thumb.jpeg.68154ff59c8b47ca68c9d66916249c98.jpegIMG_9992.thumb.jpeg.3cc3053c531c8dbd87c865555aacd018.jpegIMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.a2d45a2360e000df330616ddd926b87b.jpeg

Edited by Paddy777
  • Like 17

22 hours ago, Clarky said:

The Pipeline in Brighton last night. Fun but smaller crowd than we would have ideally liked (and I felt for the main act who drove all the way from Nottingham). Guess even a rainy Sunday night doesn't pull out all the goths! Anyhow, my make-or-break test run of Rickenbacker was OK but not as comfortable as my short scale Mustang

IMG-20240311-WA0005.jpg

Intrigued as to how it works financially (not trying to be rude) to travel to Brighton for a support gig. Is it for exposure or do they actually pay?

• Like 2