Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Another good one at the Earl Haig yesterday. About 80 people in, which is good for the sunday slot. Quite a few  came because it was us, which is great.

Had plenty of dancing in the second set, which isn't bad for blues!

Hopefully better pics to come!

Screenshot_20240204_215659_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240204_215702_Facebook.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave,

I'm coming off two gigs in a row with low turn out. I need a good size crowd to redeem myself. Lol

Daryl

Had a few like that myself Daryl and all of a sudden you get a full venue and whoo hoo you are back on top again. 🤩

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Another good one at the Earl Haig yesterday. About 80 people in, which is good for the sunday slot. Quite a few  came because it was us, which is great.

Had plenty of dancing in the second set, which isn't bad for blues!

Hopefully better pics to come!

Screenshot_20240204_215659_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240204_215702_Facebook.jpg

Couple of nice looking Fenders there too.

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Thanks Paul! We’ve done the requests thing for a while now. We put out request forms on the tables (say one

per person) and then go through them to see what’s been asked for and if we can do them! If not then we try

to maybe do another by the artist requested. We use iPads linked together which have literally thousands of

songs my mate Gary has written out. We do a fair bit of material without using them, but it’s often more for lyrics

than the music that we need them, especially for anything we’ve never or rarely done before. Of course there

are some we don’t attempt, but because Gary is an amazing player of many styles as well as a great singer,

we get away with most of them! We try to make sure most people / couples get at least one tune they request,

out of a choice of 3 tunes per request form. 
Last night we probably had a 90% success rate - ones we couldn’t manage were ‘Boys of Summer’, something

by Supertramp and ‘God only knows’! Our audience tend to be around our own demographic which makes 

things a bit easier- most popular stuff requested is anything by Simon and Garfunkel & The Eagles etc, but

we try to mix it up as much as possible. Louis Armstrong into Miley Cyrus isn’t unheard of. 🤣

Sounds totally fab!  Do you play closer to home - I still visit my friends in Cottingham occasionally but I think Scarborough would be a bit far to drag them.  That said, they are probably going to move to Spital soon, which is defo too far from Scarborough!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Sounds totally fab!  Do you play closer to home - I still visit my friends in Cottingham occasionally but I think Scarborough would be a bit far to drag them.  That said, they are probably going to move to Spital soon, which is defo too far from Scarborough!

We do regular-ish gigs at The Sun Inn in Beverley, and monthly gigs in Anlaby on the outskirts of Hull.

Both only 20 mins from Cottingham so would be great to see you again Paul. If you’re ever planning 

a trip up north then give me a shout. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been a LONG time since we've gigged... pre-COVID in fact. Babies, job changes, personal circumstances etc. got in the way. But we've never been a band for the purpose of gigging, (as odd as that may sound) we do it because we like writing music and having our weekly practice! It's a great way to let off steam, be idiots for a few hours and have a laugh. 

Finally however, we decided enough is enough and we should probably do a gig! So we did. It was at Chinnerys in Southend. A reasonable crowd of +100 people and it was good fun!

Fully utilised my wireless set up and took to the crowd a number of times! Reckon we've got the lust back for semi-regular gigging. Shame there's so few decent venues in Essex that put on shows for originals bands...

Backing for those interested:

Band Name: Art Of Rebellion (album 'The Fire Ignites' can be found on Spotify/iTunes etc.)

Bass: ACG Salace E-Type 33" 6 String

Bass Amp: Epifini UL901 with Bergantino 410

Effects: Line6 Helix 

Guitar 1: Fender USA Custom Strat and Musicman Pattruci 7 string

Guitar Amp 1: Freidman JJ20 with Marshall Vertical 212

Guitar Effects 1: Some boss stuff

Guitar 2: ACG/Reiver Custom 7 and Musicman Pattruci 6

Guitar Amp 2: Blackstar Series One with Custom 212 cab (2 Vintage 1970s Goodmans speakers)

Guitar Effects 2: Line6 Helix

Drums: Mapex 6 piece kit with Sabian AAX Cymbals and Evans skins.

20240210_065356.thumb.jpg.a36b21b865b5f5d856c7a663c6b94d8e.jpg

20240210_070402.thumb.jpg.013074d1652025c23abdfe22d81ecbae.jpg

20240210_070100.jpg.430e0a5e4223adfb801a59fc0bc121cf.jpg

20240210_065830.thumb.jpg.408c2a39327e67a668a5a6b2159e1218.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 19

First gig of the year for me with the Andy Wales Blues Band at the Flying Circus in Newark. Was looking forward to blowing the dust off. It’s a proper music pub where people come to listen which is ace. 

Played a right mix of choice covers and originals - proper sweaty loud gig, as it should be.

Lots of very positive feedback and I expect we will be back soon. 

IMG_1989.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

It's been a LONG time since we've gigged... pre-COVID in fact. Babies, job changes, personal circumstances etc. got in the way. But we've never been a band for the purpose of gigging, (as odd as that may sound) we do it because we like writing music and having our weekly practice! It's a great way to let off steam, be idiots for a few hours and have a laugh. 

Finally however, we decided enough is enough and we should probably do a gig! So we did. It was at Chinnerys in Southend. A reasonable crowd of +100 people and it was good fun!

Fully utilised my wireless set up and took to the crowd a number of times! Reckon we've got the lust back for semi-regular gigging. Shame there's so few decent venues in Essex that put on shows for originals bands...

So how did that happen?  You can't just ring up Chinnerys at the last minute and get a gig?  Curious - I'd love to get my lot a gig there.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul S said:

So how did that happen?  You can't just ring up Chinnerys at the last minute and get a gig?  Curious - I'd love to get my lot a gig there.

We've played there maybe 4 times many moons ago, so they're 'aware' of us... loosely. 

I did send them an email about a gig months back and got no response (I imagine they get MANY such emails given they're the only decent venue for originals bands in the area). A few weeks back, they emailed me asking if we wanted to play, we said yes and the rest is yesterday's history!

• Like 1

Just now, binky_bass said:

We've played there maybe 4 times many moons ago, so they're 'aware' of us... loosely. 

I did send them an email about a gig months back and got no response (I imagine they get MANY such emails given they're the only decent venue for originals bands in the area). A few weeks back, they emailed me asking if we wanted to play, we said yes and the rest is yesterday's history!

Was that a multi-band thing or your own gig?

39 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Love this thread, but also love to know:

The name of your band

Bass and back line 

Please humour me 😈

I usually divulge this information when reporting here...

• Like 1

Just one gig this week with The ELO Experience, at the Palace Theatre in Mansfield.

Only just over an hour away for me, so almost a ‘local’ gig!

Sold out crowd of 530 people, nice old theatre which we’ve not played for a few years.

Had a few hiccups- drummer’s IEM’s not on for the intro so I had to guess where the

opening chords came! Also had a brain freeze and missed one bit in Mr Blue Sky, 

which I’ve never done before. A (very) senior moment on the eve of my 66th birthday!
Anyway, the rest went well, and as you can see our wonderful lighting guy Rob had

some new toys to play with.

1aab2563-34ae-4d1e-829e-eaad780db271.jpeg

Edited by casapete
  • Like 18

5 minutes ago, casapete said:

Just one gig this week with The ELO Experience, at the Palace Theatre in Mansfield.

Only just over an hour away for me, so almost a ‘local’ gig!

Sold out crowd of 530 people, nice old theatre which we’ve not played for a few years.

Had a few hiccups- drummer’s IEM’s not on for the intro so I had to guess where the

opening chords came! Also had a brain freeze and missed one bit in Mr Blue Sky, 

which I’ve never done before. A (very) senior moment on the eve of my 66th birthday!
Anyway, the rest went well, and as you can see our wonderful lighting guy Rob had

some new toys to play with.

1aab2563-34ae-4d1e-829e-eaad780db271.jpeg

Think we've all had that brain freeze moment Pete. Hopefully no-one else noticed :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

Love this thread, but also love to know:

The name of your band

Bass and back line 

Please humour me 😈

I always mention which of my two bands are playing. I don't use any backline and the basses will be obvious from the photos I also post, besides these days I only use two - an Eastwood Hooky with one band and a Gus G3 with the other. 

Last night's gig came in a couple of weeks ago and was a welcome party for the new landlady at a pub near Bury, Lancs. The place was absolutely heaving when I arrived a little before 8pm. I was a bit dropped on to see the rather tiny space that we had been left to set up in, but I've learned to count to ten, calm down and just get set up on a postage stamp-sized stage before now, so that's what we did. We had a great crowd - but only about a third of the crowd could see us, though everyone could hear us - and it was far too hot, with a rammed pub and punters a couple of feet away - but our set went down really well and we will be back (and we can set up at the other end of the room next time).

427572429_7765522006795438_8207793069208

427624288_10160289462573842_146936777037

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1453302941967728

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 12

18 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

Last night's gig came in a couple of weeks ago and was a welcome party for the new landlady at a pub near Bury, Lancs. The place was absolutely heaving when I arrived a little before 8pm. I was a bit dropped on to see the rather tiny space that we had been left to set up in, but I've learned to count to ten, calm down and just get set up on a postage stamp-sized stage before now, so that's what we did. We had a great crowd - but only about a third of the crowd could see us, though everyone could hear us - and it was far too hot, with a rammed pub and punters a couple of feet away - but our set went down really well and we will be back (and we can set up at the other end of the room next time).

You have a selection of books to read at the break :biggrin:

Dave

• Haha 1

My band 'Shreds.' played our first headliner show last night!  We were at Cafe Indie in Scunthorpe.  It was our first time playing Scunthorpe, and Cafe Indie was a really great venue.  Nice large stage decked out with a lot of new gear and lighting.  Apparently there were about 200 people that showed up!

The person running sound did an excellent job, and was even super helpful about letting us put our recording rig in-line with their setup (we have 16 transformer-isolated XLR splitters, preamps, laptop and usually record our live sets).  We arrived early and set everything up well in advance of the show start time.  The other bands were keen to be recorded live, so I hit 'record' for each of those first three sets.

When we got up on stage to play last, I tuned my bass and then focused on silently warming up during the precious few moments that I had.  Our drummer looked over and indicated "let's go" and off we went.  Unfortunately I forgot to hit 'record' for our set!  Ha!  Oh well... next time I'll be more careful!

427805671_10161500379146276_213637532018975180_n.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

That’s why I check out any venue we plan to gig and conditions ( stated on the bands FB pages states a 5m x 4m playing area for the band !

I would have said no to that venue !! 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I would have said no to that venue !! 

You're going to get the odd place that might seem a bit of a challenge at first.
We tend not to knock venues back as we have 'a work ethic' of sorts and we are quite fond of getting paid.
I think we're on 110 bookings so far this year. I don't think that any of them are at places where the setup is awkward.
We had a great night, even under slightly cramped conditions, and our return will see us at the other end of the room, which will be ok.

• Like 4

I find many pub gigs are a bit cramped. Even some of the larger clubs we play with the Glam band have smallish stages where you can't move much and in some cases our singers will stand on the dance floor.

Dave

• Like 2