Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

5 hours ago, asingardenof said:

No matter where I'm up high, I always get that intrusive thought "go on, just jump". No idea where that comes from, but it is always there.

That’s why I hate heights, I don’t trust myself when those thoughts are there. If I’m enclosed or being driven over a high bridge - say the QU2 bridge - I’m fine, but put me on a balcony or doing the driving myself and nah, not for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s why I hate heights, I don’t trust myself when those thoughts are there. If I’m enclosed or being driven over a high bridge - say the QU2 bridge - I’m fine, but put me on a balcony or doing the driving myself and nah, not for me.

Some of you guys worry me .............. seriously worry me.

Have you considered just staying at home in a downstairs only house. :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have you considered just staying at home in a downstairs only house. 

Funnily enough I knew an awesome sport climber (doing 8a/b and the like) who decided it would be best to move into a bungalow so that he wouldn't develop his legs too much by running up and down stairs... He was an odd one, mi'nd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 14/12/2023 at 13:02, dmccombe7 said:

Some of you guys worry me .............. seriously worry me.

Have you considered just staying at home in a downstairs only house. :biggrin:

Dave

I'm terrified of heights.  If I'm in a car driving over a high bridge, I feel better off stopping the car and jumping off the bridge. 

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/12/2023 at 03:58, markbunney said:

Agreed, I was having to keep one on the PA speaker on my side to make sure no-one crashed into it.

I am constantly tempted at buying a Helix, but then things like this happen and it puts me off as I wouldn't want it to get stamped on, or a beer spilled on it

I'm battling with the whole Helix/ Kemper thing and not using an amp.

Daryl

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 04:01, Bluewine said:

I'm battling with the whole Helix/ Kemper thing and not using an amp.

Daryl

The Kemper does sound good but it looks like a pilots cockpit and needs a lot of fiddling about.

Nathan King was talking about it on one of the Andertons bass vids and he broke it down and simplified it and it looked a lot easier to use than you would initially think. Lot of money tho.

Not seen much on the Helix.

Keep me posted if you go down this route as i am also kind of interested in no backline once i can persuade the drummer who owns the PA that it would be  easy and fast set ups on stage.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Pretty much. When you hit my age you resort to the " cowboy hat".

Daryl

Rubbish you're still doing ok without the hat Daryl altho it kinda suits you especially in the US. Not so much over here unless its a Country & Western style band.

Dave

• Like 3

Final gig of the year for my blues/rock trio Toredown with our monthly residency at The Shamrock in Ipswich.  I wasn't feeling great yesterday, at the onset of a major head cold.  Went to bed after lunch for a nap and slept for 3 hrs.  Left late, got there 30 mins before kick off.  That was actually quite nice as everything was set up and the traffic was lighter.  Started off playing to a handful of punters, most of whom decided that our brand of music wasn't their thing and cleared off, leaving maybe a dozen souls. 

Things steadily improved until the place was packed and buzzing for our second set.  Adenaline, caffeine and decongestants must have kicked in as I felt OK and, for the first time in a while, didn't play a single note out of place.  The other guys were on the money, too - as a band we were pretty much mistake-free all night.  We usually stick a slow tune in half way through the second set.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it kills the mood.  Last night we decided on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and Alan played his socks off to the massive appreciation of the crowd which was hugely gratifying.  Ended up playing 2 encores, punters wanted more but 2.5hrs was enough - certainly I was flagging by then.  Got packed down really quickly, virtually empty road on the way home with no closures, home by 1am. 

We continue our residency there into 2024, with 10 gigs booked, plus one or two gigs elsewhere in diary, but it will be interesting to see what else pops up.

My head cold has certainly 'blossomed' today so I'm probably going back to bed soon.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Here's a Weeds photo... We're not by any means Country or Western, but 2 cowboy hats, a trilby and a fez!

image.png.66d788a9fb0dee0a8582570539318117.png

That looks more like a fun party silliness style band tho rather than someone wearing a cowboy hat seriously. :biggrin:

Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

K, on the right is particularly funpartysilliness boy, though I wear my cowboy hat out occasionally, goes perfectly with my backless leather chaps.

But the Weeds are deeply serious, and have many faces...

image.png.b729b83d44c7b2851a950409a93a9e0e.png

image.png.90b21ee19b78644f47c1f52758ea79af.png

image.png.93302a00fd4ad0f39e62424795959169.png

image.thumb.png.60f6b1a17731915057bbfaf20d173a76.png

Altho i always respect great players i have to admit that those costumes for me signify a band with a good sense of humour.:biggrin:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Last night: A pub in Knowle (near Solihull (near Birmingham)) with the rock band.

The footswitches on my Sansamp decided to stop working properly and a pint of water fell into my bag of leads and stuff.

Aprt from that, it was so-so.

Which pub?

• Like 1