Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

12 hours ago, peteb said:

The Zep tribute played a hometown gig (well for me, the singer and the keys player) at Tapestry Arts Centre in Bradford last Friday. A decent turnout and all in all it went really well, which is always good when you're playing in your own backyard. 

LIZ Tapestry Nov 23 (5).jpeg

PB LIZ Tapestry Nov 23 (2).jpeg

Great pics @peteb, re these, and maybe a strange enquiry, what are the trainers you`ve got on, have seen a few pics of people with those ones but can never find exacts on Amazon etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

maybe a strange enquiry, what are the trainers you`ve got on, have seen a few pics of people with those ones but can never find exacts on Amazon etc.

Well it's certainly different to 'what cab are you using' or 'what wireless system have you got'...! 

They are black leather hi-tops from 'ecco' (I've just checked the make). I think that I got them from Amazon years ago (however I could be wrong), but you do sometimes see ecco shoe shops in some of the better heeled market towns (like Harrogate around here). I hope that helps... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Great pics @peteb, re these, and maybe a strange enquiry, what are the trainers you`ve got on, have seen a few pics of people with those ones but can never find exacts on Amazon etc.

All i can see in the pics are trainers with a white sole. You have some eyesight to make out any more than that. :laugh1:

Dave 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Why is it that so many event organisers can't understand that (a) you need time to switch acts (b) if an act overruns this pushes all subsequent acts back (c) it's their job to tell bands when to stop.

We done a charity one in Newmarket last year. It was the 'promotors' first gig. We got booked and were chatting to him a month before the event: 

Promotor: "Year it's gonna be a good one, 14 bands" 

Us: "14?! We didn'tr realise it was a festival!" 

Promotor: "Well we have the venue from 17:00 - 00:00. Seven hours. Half hour sets. 14 Bands" 

Despite all of the bands protests it went on as 'planned' We played 3rd out of 14, I believe only 6 bands played. The rest were told to go home. There was a lot of backlash locally about it afterwards... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Much like @EssexBuccaneer last week, I had some good Southend based gig news last night.

Last week, the Cow & Telescope, one of the best cover band venues in the area, who we played for the first time last month, asked if we were available on 23 December **EDIT: due to another band having to cancel**. Unfortunately, we were already booked at a sports bar elsewhere so did the right thing and turned them down to honour our commitment. 

Yesterday, apparently some "top card" boxing matches were announced for 23 December. Being a sports bar, they realise their usual punters would be mightily upset if they didn't show the boxing and had a band playing instead. So they have postponed our booking until next year.

We enquired whether the other option was still available, and it's now ours :D What a stroke of luck. It's all fallen into place in our favour without upsetting anyone.

A coveted spot at one of the best music pubs in Southend on a Saturday evening, two days before Christmas. It's going to be a belter!

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Much like @EssexBuccaneer last week, I had some good Southend based gig news last night.

Last week, the Cow & Telescope, one of the best cover band venues in the area, who we played for the first time last month, asked if we were available on 23 December. Unfortunately, we were already booked at a sports bar elsewhere so did the right thing and turned them down to honour our commitment. 

Yesterday, apparently some "top card" boxing matches were announced for 23 December. Being a sports bar, they realise their usual punters would be mightily upset if they didn't show the boxing and had a band playing instead. So they have postponed our booking until next year.

We enquired whether the other option was still available, and it's now ours :D What a stroke of luck. It's all fallen into place in our favour without upsetting anyone.

A coveted spot at one of the best music pubs in Southend on a Saturday evening, two days before Christmas. It's going to be a belter!

Its great when a plan comes together. Nice one.

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Last week, the Cow & Telescope, one of the best cover band venues in the area, who we played for the first time last month, asked if we were available on 23 December. Unfortunately, we were already booked at a sports bar elsewhere so did the right thing and turned them down to honour our commitment. 

Result ! - you did the right thing and then got the rewards. 
Have a great gig.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Result ! - you did the right thing and then got the rewards. 
Have a great gig.

Indeed. It was in the back of my mind that several months ago another band on the "Essex Cover Bands Community" Facebook group didn't do the right thing, and cancelled one venue (albeit at the last minute) in favour of a "better" venue.

Let's just say the internet did not approve!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Mate, that’s great news! Would love to get in there! (I’m sure it’ll happen, we’re in danger of running before we walk - we’ve only played 4 gigs). Congratulations!

I’m on-call that week, unfortunately so can’t get down - but sometime soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Last week, the Cow & Telescope, one of the best cover band venues in the area, who we played for the first time last month, asked if we were available on 23 December **EDIT: due to another band having to cancel**. Unfortunately, we were already booked at a sports bar elsewhere so did the right thing and turned them down to honour our commitment. 

That's one of our regular gigs and probably one of our faves. Lovely crowd there - you know you've cracked them when they get the Wombles out of the bag and start waving them at you. Have a good one!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

That's one of our regular gigs and probably one of our faves. Lovely crowd there - you know you've cracked them when they get the Wombles out of the bag and start waving them at you. Have a good one!

Knowing which word the sweary filter on basschat replaces with 'womble', I'd be a bit worried about that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Knowing which word the sweary filter on basschat replaces with 'womble', I'd be a bit worried about that...

Oddly enough I actually meant the small furry rubbish collecting critters. It's a ritual there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KingstonMkt(23-11).thumb.png.79374ded4c1a261f97ceadbaf9beea81.png

Played on a small stage at Kingston market last night. 

"Rig": Yamaha bass --> Zoom B1-4 --> (venue supplied:) Behringer XAir desk -> Alto TX210s 

Super simple / cheap as chips set-up but did the job! (I used the Zoom B1-4 as tuner, clean patch with "Presence" to aid cutting through, and Xotic BB drive patch).

Had a complete blast playing with the band!

• Like 16

Second ever gig for the rock covers band I joined in March last night. At the Hive Nightclub in Edinburgh. Had an absolute blast, great wee venue, crowd got right into it pretty much from the start, plenty of signing, dancing and a bit of headbanging. Rig for those interested : Squier 40th Anniversary Precision (I love this thing, can't stop playing it, use it over my more expensive basses now) into Warwick Gnome I Pro 600 (via Helix HX Stomp) and Markbass New York 121 cab. Was DI'd from the amp and used IEMs to ensure I heard myself...it's loud up there. Has to be said, a good gig is great for the old mental health.

20231116_204702s.thumb.jpg.f1a56a4bd4e2c179c5fb740ff3db60c3.jpg2023-11-1618_19_50.thumb.jpg.fa0efc4662cd280d2ff3457fd49e6d3c.jpg

• Like 19

We were at Chelmsford Civic theatre last night. A 400 mile round trip for us, so a long day.

Sold out crowd of around 500, nice sounding room and good stage. However, about 3 songs

into our first set, I heard a crackling noise from my amp. Went off, then returned next song.

Our brilliant tech Sam quickly swapped my leads (guitar to DI / DI link to amp) and it seemed okay,

then started playing up again. Sam then got my spare amp out and swapped it over and the

problem disappeared. First time I’ve had to use my spare, so glad it was there. Also first

time a GK amp has given me problems, BUT! Our sound tech said it sounded to him more likely

to be a faulty XLR cable from the DI to the desk than the amp. Anyway, finished the gig using

the spare head, and have one more gig to do tomorrow in Penistone before we finish for this year. 
I’m going to get there early and try to pin down what the fault is - it’s a fairly local gig for us (70

miles away) so not a problem. 

• Like 14

8 hours ago, casapete said:

We were at Chelmsford Civic theatre last night. A 400 mile round trip for us, so a long day.

Sold out crowd of around 500, nice sounding room and good stage. However, about 3 songs

into our first set, I heard a crackling noise from my amp. Went off, then returned next song.

Our brilliant tech Sam quickly swapped my leads (guitar to DI / DI link to amp) and it seemed okay,

then started playing up again. Sam then got my spare amp out and swapped it over and the

problem disappeared. First time I’ve had to use my spare, so glad it was there. Also first

time a GK amp has given me problems, BUT! Our sound tech said it sounded to him more likely

to be a faulty XLR cable from the DI to the desk than the amp. Anyway, finished the gig using

the spare head, and have one more gig to do tomorrow in Penistone before we finish for this year. 
I’m going to get there early and try to pin down what the fault is - it’s a fairly local gig for us (70

Is that it then, Pete, or are you carrying on into next year?

• Like 2

Another good night at McCafferty’s in Epsom.  We played better last month but I think the songs we played are all ones we can use again.  As usual most of the other bands were good.

I managed to plug into a guitar amp.  It sounded a bit farty on stage, but apparently sounded ok out front and sounds ok in the video.

• Like 8

Wee afternoon charity event today 1-6pm with BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band so home by 7:30pm

Sold Out gig and dancers up for it from the word go again.

The organiser wants to book us again for another charity event so we will give the discounted rate.

Had a few requests to book us for birthday parties in 2024 but unfortunately our calendar for next year is filling up fairly fast.

DJ that was in the venue said the feedback from everyone he spoke to was WOW just WOW what a show. He's never heard that about any other band that's played there. He's also on the club committee so that was good.

All in all a great wee afternoon and we even got sandwiches and hot sausage rolls provided at break with coffee and tea. "Lubbily". Those sausage rolls sold it for me. We even got paid before we even started. How confident was the organiser altho she did see us play their for a birthday party 6mths ago.

Happy Days

No gig pics but here's our "ready to go" pic from the tiny changing room.

Dave

image.thumb.png.bc6a7b44a00e749408a9981896002e80.png

• Like 12

22 hours ago, casapete said:

I’m with Sam on this @casapete - along with cockroaches, GK amps would survive nuclear apocalypse!

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if it was a faulty DI cable if he used the same cables with your spare amp and it sounded ok. Kinda points towards the GK. I once had a dodgy effects return socket on an amp that caused problems because it sits with the contacts made all the time and never really gets used. If you stick a jumper lead from effects send to effects return it sorts it until you can give the contacts a clean.

Your amp gets a lot of use on the road too so a little bit of dust on contacts.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

First time I’ve had to use my spare, so glad it was there. Also first

time a GK amp has given me problems

And surely that is the difference between us amateurs and the professionals. Spare cables, spare DI and even a spare AMP.  (and I'm prepared to bet spare strings, bass, and plectrums)

Glad the show went on!

• Like 1