Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

There is one way to turn down the drummer but it’s not very rock n roll! I play drums as well and last year started using an E kit because of A. late night practice and B. small venues. As much as it’s not the same it’s made a massive difference to giging. 

He's exactly that type of drummer who would never in a million years entertain such a notion! The scaffolding gives it away, I think.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rexel Matador said:

...there's no way to "turn down" our drummer, so we just set up accordingly...

There are several options that might be worth considering...

Hot rods, brushes, or 'silent sticks' can work, if it's not just muscular 'shed-building' strokes...

An e-kit is an option, but really needs software (a laptop...) attached unless investing in the very top-of-the-range kits, so can become expensive. The result is excellent, though, with a huge range of diversity available (swap snare drums and cymbals for every number..?) ...

For years I used cloth 'shower caps' over the drum heads, as mufflers; they worked a treat for reducing the volume and producing that very flat punchy tone. They wore out every few weeks, so needed constant replacing, especially on the snare rims. Very effective, though, and not costly, if buying knicker elastic in bulk. :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

The other benefit of an electronic drum kit is that it is much easier to set up for a gig. The drummer in one of the bands I play in has been using his exclusively for about 5 years. I believe it is a pretty upmarket kit (Roland I think). It seems to all be on a frame with a couple of detachable side supports. Apart from the “cymbals “ and kick drum pedal, there isn’t anything else to attach. Completely unlike the usual monumental effort involved in setting up a kit. No body bag full of stands; no huge pile of drum cases to stash somewhere in a cramped venue and it sounds really good (all 600 plus kits it can mimic). All that and you can turn the volume right down, plus you don’t need half a dozen special mics to get it into the PA.

• Like 2

Hurtsfall last night at Underworld at Via Fossa in Nottingham opening for Medea Project and Chaos Bleak.

Quieter in audience terms than the last few gigs, but for some strange reason from a technical PoV we played one of our best yet. There was a party going on in the room upstairs playing banging dance pop tunes all night which was somewhat disconcerting to be able to hear very clearly in-between songs, and on a couple numbers we had to listen very carefully for the count-in click. Just as well we had decided to drop one of our songs with a very quiet intro for this gig, as it may have proved to be unplayable...

Obligatory gig photo:

385698549-816281967171171-44646860441631

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

The other benefit of an electronic drum kit is that it is much easier to set up for a gig. The drummer in one of the bands I play in has been using his exclusively for about 5 years. I believe it is a pretty upmarket kit (Roland I think). It seems to all be on a frame with a couple of detachable side supports. Apart from the “cymbals “ and kick drum pedal, there isn’t anything else to attach. Completely unlike the usual monumental effort involved in setting up a kit. No body bag full of stands; no huge pile of drum cases to stash somewhere in a cramped venue and it sounds really good (all 600 plus kits it can mimic). All that and you can turn the volume right down, plus you don’t need half a dozen special mics to get it into the PA.

I've played in a couple of bands whose drummers have used electronic kits. Depending on how organised they are it isn't always quicker to set up. The last one, although he had all the pads on a "scaffolding" stand still had to wire everything up and ended up taking about the same length of time to set up as he had when he was still using a conventional kit.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rexel Matador said:

...there's no way to "turn down" our drummer, so we just set up accordingly...

My e-kit fits into the van all in one piece, not even folded (the floor drum is for our singer for a couple of songs...). It's all pre-cabled with velcro tie-wraps, so no set-up to do, just bring in the power supply and the MIDI cable, attach the bass drum and hi-hat pedals and it's ready. The MIDI goes to a flight case containing my Superior Drummer laptop, 22" screen and a Tascam interface. I plug the flight case into the mains, and take a stereo feed from the Tascam to the PA. Job done. The kit itself is quite modest (Millennium MPS-850...), but as all the sounds come from Superior Drummer, it sounds splendid. Here's the kit, last thing into the truck (the flight case is below, behind the floor tom...)...

ebnmWpi.jpg

... and here, set up in a slightly cramped bar...

NQUXzQ3.jpg

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

Local pub for us last night. Heaving when we got there due to some football, but emptied out shortly after, always good ego boost.

Anyway, easy setup, lots of space, but very warm.

We added a load of new songs or songs that we remembered to bring back from pre-pandemic.

First half not many people but some of our regular crowd. There were a lot of groups in town last night, so didn't expect too much.

Second half a lot more activity and obviously when we got to 3 songs before the end everyone was up dancing and wanting more songs when we stopped - we would have done them too but our guitarist decided he had to get home earlier. 

Was definitely glad to get some air afterwards as it was so hot - we got another gig out of it in a new venue though, so must have been ok.

Security guard was funny afterwards, I went out and he said 'oh have you finished now?', 'yes', 'oh thank f*** for that.. oh hang on, didn't mean it like that I just meant that now everyone would clear out, you are the best we have had in here in ages!'

Can't believe how hot it was though!

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've played in a couple of bands whose drummers have used electronic kits. Depending on how organised they are it isn't always quicker to set up. The last one, although he had all the pads on a "scaffolding" stand still had to wire everything up and ended up taking about the same length of time to set up as he had when he was still using a conventional kit.

Bet it was lighter though, took up less space and was easier to load in and out. However, point taken. There are swings and roundabouts with everything.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rexel Matador said:

Played last night at a pub in Liverpool that we haven't played before.

WhatsAppImage2023-09-30at15_12_43.thumb.jpg.84d6b62b10867a5ccc0b1c33da10dd59.jpg

Was this in Foghertys?

I have never been there (only once been to liverpool), but a friend of mine used to always play there so it looks familiar

• Like 1

A local one for us last night, literally a 5 minute drive from home. A well stocked club and remained that way to the end. Fortunately no major technical issues on this one as we just used the tops as the venue was doable without big subs so the drummer was acoustic rather than electronic.  Gave the little MW sig Mustang a run as it’s been a while since I’d used it, I’d forgotten how easy this thing was to play.

We’re playing this one next on NYE so hoping for a repeat crowd as experience has taught me not to expect too much of NYE.IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.4b64a96fe566777ebb9b7da98337ad68.jpeg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Was this in Foghertys?

I have never been there (only once been to liverpool), but a friend of mine used to always play there so it looks familiar

The clue is on the gig list board above the bass players head. 👍

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Bet it was lighter though, took up less space and was easier to load in and out. However, point taken. There are swings and roundabouts with everything.

An electronic kit will never sound as good as a quality acoustic kit, every drummer I ever played with have owned high end kits, DW, Ludwig, Slingerland etc.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, steantval said:

An electronic kit will never sound as good as a quality acoustic kit, every drummer I ever played with have owned high end kits, DW, Ludwig etc.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true as a generality (my acoustic kit is a 'Rolls Royce' Camco kit, the father of DW...), an e-kit certainly can solve the decibel issue, if the drummer is incapable of playing his/her quality kit more quietly. The other advantages (easier set-up/breakdown, dialling in different kits mid-set, less stage 'real estate', less mic'ing, a perfect mix every time et al...) are worth considering, though. With a decent PA, I defy anyone to know 'blind' if it's a software or acoustic kit for most genres of modern music. :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Whilst this is undoubtedly true as a generality (my acoustic kit is a 'Rolls Royce' Camco kit, the father of DW...), an e-kit certainly can solve the decibel issue, if the drummer is incapable of playing his/her quality kit more quietly. The other advantages (easier set-up/breakdown, dialling in different kits mid-set, less stage 'real estate', less mic'ing, a perfect mix every time et al...) are worth considering, though. With a decent PA, I defy anyone to know 'blind' if it's a software or acoustic kit for most genres of modern music. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

A local one for us last night, literally a 5 minute drive from home. A well stocked club and remained that way to the end. Fortunately no major technical issues on this one as we just used the tops as the venue was doable without big subs so the drummer was acoustic rather than electronic.  Gave the little MW sig Mustang a run as it’s been a while since I’d used it, I’d forgotten how easy this thing was to play.

We’re playing this one next on NYE so hoping for a repeat crowd as experience has taught me not to expect too much of NYE.IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.4b64a96fe566777ebb9b7da98337ad68.jpeg

Loving the stage gear with you and the singer. Nice one.

Dave

• Like 2

Last night was an interesting one.  The second time we've played the Black Abbot in Montrose.  We were through in the bar this time instead of the lounge - a smaller room and we were worried that we'd be a bit loud but it actually sounded OK.  Back to earth with a bump of course compared to Friday night, having to set up everything, move stuff out of the way, all the normal shenanigans of a pub gig.

It wasn't very busy, had 20ish folk in with a further few coming through periodically from the lounge for a few songs then disappearing (but they kept coming back, so I'm counting them!) but the folk we did have were really into it - warm applause after each song (it was more like a concert than a gig) and some dancing.  We got some nice comments after, and it was a nice early gig (8-11), so got home at a reasonable time for a change.

Played the Sire D5 last night, it's a great bass - absolutely no nonsense '54 style P action and the neck is lovely.  Small room so the amp got another easy night.

D5Montrose.thumb.jpg.9c2614934fd15b5008a15fec738ebc86.jpg

We've got October off due to various holidays/work commitments, so that's all from me for a while!

• Like 13

Another visit to Canvey last night, Oyster Bay on the seafront. One guitarist down, but no problem for us to retool. We played well, and got a really nice sound. Unforutnately, we had to compete with  another bar a couple of doors down that had a live band (a friend of our drummer) and an event at another pub a couple of doors away the other side. So started with a around 30-40 people and ended up with about 10 by the end of  the night.  I had a feeling it was going to be a paid rehearsal, so we just made the best of it, and stands us in good stead for next weekend’s gig at one of the premier music pubs in Southend that I’ve been trying to get into for years. Really looking forward to that one!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I had a feeling it was going to be a paid rehearsal, so we just made the best of it, and stands us in good stead for next weekend’s gig at one of the premier music pubs in Southend that I’ve been trying to get into for years. Really looking forward to that one!

100% that's how i look at low attendance gigs. Paid rehearsal and just enjoy it for what it is.

Dave

• Like 5

Mustang Sally gigged at a new venue (to us) last night - Milborne Port Social Club on the A30 Dorset/Somerset border. - not a big place, either the town or the club! Managed to cram all six of us in down one end of the bar, nice people (a free round of drinks to start with) and a constant 50 or so over the 9-11:30 playing time. Still in hand-over period getting the new KB guy up to speed before our rhythm guitarist leaves so still a few rough edges on the more involved numbers (eg Echo Beach, Geno, Sweet Child) - still, we're getting there. We all agreed that we seemed very LOUD on stage but the punters were happy with the levels out front - it's usually the other way around...

I was amused to find myself staring at myself while having a pre-match slash, the first time I've seen a band poster in this kind of men-only location! 

IMAG9569.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Busy weekend gigging of sorts. Saturday- surprise 60th in a neighbouring county, so nice to get off the usual turf and see how we do with the foreigners, early start and finish, sedate crowd compared to last week. I’ve been using my trusty ASAT for these gigs after a break and absolutely loving it. Got fed well by the client which is always appreciated, but the outside caterer had issues with his ice cream machine tripping his extension reel plugged in through an open window which he somehow firmly insinuated was our fault. After he’d finished to show his displeasure he unplugged it and started to tug it through all our kit as we played, each of us desperately trying in turn to make sure our light fixtures didn’t go all over the place. Home by 12:30, up at 6, preparing for three ‘gigs’.

Job number 1, setup PA and lights at wedding fayre number 2, then onto Job 2, wedding fayre number 1, me attempting to arrange our set in my head on the fly on my acoustic as our female vocalist and band manager, Mrs Scalpy does her thing rather splendidly. Running low on kit I borrowed a HK nano from work and used my uad apollo as a pre for both of us, worked rather well. 2 hours of that then back to wedding fayre number 2, this time joined by our guitarist and tracks, easing my burden considerably. He’s a monster player too, and he had full permission to go over the top with the jazz chords and the like, much to our amusement. 

I’d be interested to hear how other people get on with wedding fayres, we struggle to reel in any customers at them. It’s almost like the public can’t talk to musicians unless they’ve had a skinful and you’re carrying two tonnes of kit at 1 in the morning- they have no problem then.

Last job of the day- band call for a local theatre company doing 9-5. Back on the 5 string Shazza, a sire v5. Pro MD had programmed the whole thing on click. I’m well used to click in recording and band situations but this was my first time in the pit. A tough chart and I’m pleased we’ve got another run at it before the dress rehearsal, it was very difficult one ear in on an exceptionally harsh metronome and one ear on the room. 

Then it was back to band hq in the van by myself to unload. Next gig Thursday, dep guitarist of questionable preparation, wish us luck. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, msb said:

Why is it that some drummers have no concept of dynamics?

If this is with regard to my comment about not being able to turn down our drummer, to be fair to him, I think he plays perfectly appropriately for the music we do. Drums are loud and for some reason live music venues continue to be surprised by that fact!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

100% that's how i look at low attendance gigs. Paid rehearsal and just enjoy it for what it is.

Dave

I’m sure we’ve all had a few of those over the years. I certainly have, but if the small attendance stays until the end, you’ve been entertaining them. 

Edited by Cliff Edge
  • Like 2