Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played at Buxton Opera House last night. Sold out crowd of around 900 in this grand old venue,

which dates back to 1903. Another of my favourite theatres that we visit, I’m realising I always prefer

the older venues to the often bland newer ones. Had to have a beer and pizza at the wonderful

Buxton Brewery Tap House before the gig, where they were promoting us!

Last week the band played at Camper Calling Festival at Ragley Hall in Warwickshire. Due to a family

thing I had to dip out, but my friend Doug did a great job depping for me - first time in over 11 years 

I’ve had to miss a gig and it was a belter too! 

IMG_3361.jpeg

IMG_0122.jpeg

ec2cc99d-1cec-4b59-a192-96a3636fb057.jpeg

Edited by casapete
  • Like 17

1 minute ago, casapete said:

We played at Buxton Opera House last night. Sold out crowd of around 900 in this grand old venue,

which dates back to 1903. Another of my favourite theatres that we visit, I’m realising I always prefer

the older venues to the often bland newer ones. Had to have a beer and pizza at the wonderful

Buxton Brewery Tap House before the gig, where they were promoting us!

Wow, I played there in June with Dire Streets and we managed 600 - impressed that you sold it out. What’s the band?

Just now, JapanAxe said:

Wow, I played there in June with Dire Streets and we managed 600 - impressed that you sold it out. What’s the band?

The ELO Experience. Been doing this venue annually for maybe 10 years now, with audiences gradually

building up. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Benefit for Amnesty international in Bournemouth with the Otis Jay Blues Band. Flea through Barefaced One10 and Elf.

We had a dep drummer and guitarist - the mighty Robert Ahwai, who played for 30 years with Chris Rea and replaced Jeff Beck in the Jeff Beck Group (Hummingbird). He had been at college with our singer 50 years ago and, though they’d lost contact since, came down to do the gig gratis - good bloke and a fine player.

Turned out our drummer had seen Rob playing at Ronnie Scott’s in the 70s with Gonzales … small world!IMG_4781.thumb.jpeg.f81fc52d08c8fb9b5ee26b4a9e45d59c.jpegIMG_4776.thumb.jpeg.39cb0fd618b5a37d20db392d4c7a4750.jpegIMG_4775.thumb.jpeg.87f066f828247065bf24fdb9d7ef6f58.jpegIMG_4774.thumb.jpeg.5b3d2f5ecc4835dbcbf85c129d201002.jpegIMG_4773.thumb.jpeg.a72bb3b44259a5b618203a672028588c.jpegIMG_4772.thumb.jpeg.fe73707041ec0d429a3a0503aa9c9ae9.jpeg

Great story and pics Mick.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Postscript to above post-but-one: Robert and Keith, our singer, we’re on a college course with a certain John Deacon - two of the three feature in this…

WOW that's brilliant, really enjoyed it. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1

Really disappointing one last night. I depped with our singer's other band and we played a holiday camp in the Forest of Dean. 

Arrived to set up at 7 and were told we had to wait until the bingo had finished which we did, and as soon as it did finish the bingo caller left with about 90% of the punters and in truth the evening never recovered. 

The band was pretty sloppy with missed cues, untidy starts and endings etc. I really felt quite low after it and considering I was the dep, felt the other band members were really just going through the motions. Makes me feel grateful for the band I'm in. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 13

Played The Howling Wolf in Glasgow last night. It's unusual, in that it's a bar that only has Blues Bands playing and all the piped background music is also Blues.

It was a fun gig, the place was pretty full and the audience had a really good time. 

We're a pretty hard hitting blues band so we fitted the bill. The manager was a happy bunny and asked us back but the times they had available didn't really suit our guitarists work schedule. We'd all like to play there again but we'll have to work something out.

image.png

Edited by gjones
  • Like 16

Two gig weekend.

Night one, first time in a local pub (only lived here 20 years and been playing with this band for 7!), so didn't know what to expect, very small pub. Setup in the corner, very hot then people started coming in, and kept coming in. Setup, the sound seemed ok at front but I really couldn't get much sound from the bass in my iems - no idea why, and the bass speaker was slightly in front of me. The sound where i was wasn't great. As a result I didn't really enjoy the first half and I played really hard. For some reason my EHB strings seem really tight. Second half I switched to my acrylic bass - if I couldn't hear it and it was hurting, I might as well dazzle the audience right? The output of the acrylic isn't high, unlike the action, but I boosted my iem levels in the break and it seemed better. But so hot, luckily the guitarist had brought a fan. Very up close and personal gig, by the end of it my fingers hurt a lot.

After the gig we got a lot of good comments, although the only ones I got personally were they liked the bass!

Realised I had done some damage, and sure enough got blisters, which wisely I popped.

Bought some plectrums on saturday, and went out to do another local club - we had never played the general room there, just the event room at other peoples request, but I had played the front with other bands. A lot more room, still hot but with a fan and an open window. Started off quiet but was soon heaving. Did the first half with the #1 ibanez that I hadn't used for a while, remembered why I liked it. Second half I did with the acrylic as it seemd that sort of venue. Everyone up and dancing and quite lively. 

Had to play everything with a plectrum, and can't say it is the way I play. although ok for most of the songs, but some things I really can't do - Impression I get, Alright now, poker face, so made a few mistakes trying plectrums on that.

Anyway after that gig, lots of nice comments - one woman who came out to see us having seen us in another pub said that we were the best live band she had ever seen - I pointed out that maybe she needs to get out more :D - A lot of 'you were great lads' and offers of other gigs. Always nice to hear when you finish anyway.

94club-gig-photo.jpg

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Two gig weekend.

Night one, first time in a local pub (only lived here 20 years and been playing with this band for 7!), so didn't know what to expect, very small pub. Setup in the corner, very hot then people started coming in, and kept coming in. Setup, the sound seemed ok at front but I really couldn't get much sound from the bass in my iems - no idea why, and the bass speaker was slightly in front of me. The sound where i was wasn't great. As a result I didn't really enjoy the first half and I played really hard. For some reason my EHB strings seem really tight. Second half I switched to my acrylic bass - if I couldn't hear it and it was hurting, I might as well dazzle the audience right? The output of the acrylic isn't high, unlike the action, but I boosted my iem levels in the break and it seemed better. But so hot, luckily the guitarist had brought a fan. Very up close and personal gig, by the end of it my fingers hurt a lot.

After the gig we got a lot of good comments, although the only ones I got personally were they liked the bass!

Realised I had done some damage, and sure enough got blisters, which wisely I popped.

Bought some plectrums on saturday, and went out to do another local club - we had never played the general room there, just the event room at other peoples request, but I had played the front with other bands. A lot more room, still hot but with a fan and an open window. Started off quiet but was soon heaving. Did the first half with the #1 ibanez that I hadn't used for a while, remembered why I liked it. Second half I did with the acrylic as it seemd that sort of venue. Everyone up and dancing and quite lively. 

Had to play everything with a plectrum, and can't say it is the way I play. although ok for most of the songs, but some things I really can't do - Impression I get, Alright now, poker face, so made a few mistakes trying plectrums on that.

Anyway after that gig, lots of nice comments - one woman who came out to see us having seen us in another pub said that we were the best live band she had ever seen - I pointed out that maybe she needs to get out more :D - A lot of 'you were great lads' and offers of other gigs. Always nice to hear when you finish anyway.

94club-gig-photo.jpg

What;s the bass there @Woodinblack. I can see the neck led's but the body looks blue and lit up as well or is that stage lighting.

Dave

• Like 2

What a difference a day makes (and a different bar in a different locale).  Played at Wilson's in Aberdeen last night and what a terrific gig it was!  Pub was busy, loads of people up dancing and singing along, real positive vibe and energy.  This made me play noticeably better (to me anyway) - a good crowd always gives me that extra 10% confidence to play better, throw some shapes on stage, have a bit of banter with them etc.

We weren't even supposed to be there - we were filling in for a band which had to cancel so people could only have been aware that it was going to be us instead for a couple of weeks at best.  We're back in a fortnight's time, so I had better rejig the set list!

Good/bad end to the night:

GOOD - got the details of a potential replacement singer.

BAD -  I've done a mischief to my amp - the power stage cut out during the last song (preamp was still working as I could vaguely hear myself coming out of the PA).  Amp investigations today.  Hopefully the cooling fan has died, it got hot and protection kicked in.  Amp head body felt warm to the touch, but I couldn't smell any magic smoke, so there's hope.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

What a difference a day makes (and a different bar in a different locale).  Played at Wilson's in Aberdeen last night and what a terrific gig it was!  Pub was busy, loads of people up dancing and singing along, real positive vibe and energy.  This made me play noticeably better (to me anyway) - a good crowd always gives me that extra 10% confidence to play better, throw some shapes on stage, have a bit of banter with them etc.

We weren't even supposed to be there - we were filling in for a band which had to cancel so people could only have been aware that it was going to be us instead for a couple of weeks at best.  We're back in a fortnight's time, so I had better rejig the set list!

Good/bad end to the night:

GOOD - got the details of a potential replacement singer.

BAD -  I've done a mischief to my amp - the power stage cut out during the last song (preamp was still working as I could vaguely hear myself coming out of the PA).  Amp investigations today.  Hopefully the cooling fan has died, it got hot and protection kicked in.  Amp head body felt warm to the touch, but I couldn't smell any magic smoke, so there's hope.

Nice one, shame about the amp @neepheid. Hope its an easy fix. What amp is it ?

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice one, shame about the amp @neepheid. Hope its an easy fix. What amp is it ?

Dave

RedSub BT5110 - a Gear4Music rebadging of a Beta Aivin design closely related to the Ibanez Promethean P5110.  Had it for over 11 years now so it owes me nothing really, but you can't get 'em any more so I'll be a bit bummed out if I can't fix it :(

• Like 2

First gig with the blues/soul band last night, also my first real gig in about twenty years barring the occasional school fête appearance. Beer garden of a pub as part of Stalybridge’s ‘Bridgefest’. Far from perfect, but we were pretty happy with it for a début!

There was a guy sitting at the front during the previous band’s (very competent local music school kids under the name of The Fixations) set who I reckoned was a dead ringer for Marc Riley, but he’d left by the time we played. Probably for the best if it really was him. 

Also first gig for the homebuilt 1x12, which acquitted itself very well. 

• Like 16

We played on Friday night in Baldock. The sounds was surprisingly great considering it was in the pub garden.  Went direct to the PA via my pedalboard with amp and cab sim pedals and into the fx return of the supplied back line for monitoring. Nice to not have to take the ampeg with me and didn’t actually

miss it.. too much. 

Lots of good feedback from people which is always nice. 

IMG_1108.thumb.jpeg.d16049d92c9b67a25dea0f8fc231df1c.jpeg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

RedSub BT5110 - a Gear4Music rebadging of a Beta Aivin design closely related to the Ibanez Promethean P5110.  Had it for over 11 years now so it owes me nothing really, but you can't get 'em any more so I'll be a bit bummed out if I can't fix it :(

Your local techy guy should be able to fix any fault on an amp i would have thought. 11 yrs of reliable service you can't knock.

Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

@dmccombe7 - +1 on the gauge thing from me. I moved to heavier D and G strings on my fivers and I’ve found the same, noticeable improvement to balance of sound across the board

I finally settled on 45-105s after years of experimenting due to the increased tightness - both tonally and physically. Alas increasing pain/numbess in my hands means I will probably have to go back to at least 45-100s, or even 40-100s, for future string sets so I'm not gripping/pulling so hard (insert your own wombling joke of choice here).

• Like 1

They say that southern England is a very heavily populated place, but judging by the view from the field in the backside of beyond where we played last night I had to doubt the truth of that! Our band Mustang Sally was a last-minute sub for another that'd pulled out of a farmers 'working weekend' gig at Ebbsborne Wake, in North Dorset. Not heard of it? Well, I'll share a secret - it's not far from Sixpenny Handley... close by Fourpenny F**k. The event wasn't widely publicised, and was mainly intended for agricultural folk to try out their new and vintage tractors on a vast acreage of stubble (no, not my beard...) The hospitality tent and band seemed like a bit of an afterthought, while the two Portaloos stood like forgotten sentinels 80 yards away, a lonely walk of shame in full public view for those taken short and not prepared to pee in a bush somewhere...

We could only muster four of our possible six musicians due to the short notice so we set up with just drums, keys/vox, singer/acoustic guitar and me on bass doubling sax. The tent was mostly empty til the last 15 minutes (how unusual) while the punters sat outside and stuffed down hog roast and cider whilst watching a big orange moon rise over the distant horizon. There was absolutely no sign of any other human habitation from where we were set up, on top of a hill - total darkness. It was two hours bl**dy hard work. Still, we had as much fun as we could with our clothes on and it was my best-paid gig since last NYE, so no complaints on that front.

Talking of fun and lack of clothes, I got home at 12:30 am to find Mrs G still up and doing a jigsaw wearing nothing but her undies, sitting at a table in the front room window (it was a very humid evening). "What would you like?" she enquired sweetly as I staggered in. "Is there anything special you might fancy?"

"Oh yes please!" I replied eagerly. "A mug of Earl Grey tea and a couple of digestive bicklies would be absolutely perfectl!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

3 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Talking of fun and lack of clothes, I got home at 12:30 am to find Mrs G still up and doing a jigsaw wearing nothing but her undies, sitting at a table in the front room window (it was a very humid evening). "What would you like?" she enquired sweetly as I staggered in. "Is there anything special you might fancy?"

Result ? ............. or did she hear the car pull up and the back door was open. :laugh1:

Have to admit all i want after a gig is to get home and have a nice hot coffee and a dooker.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Gasman said:

They say that southern England is a very heavily populated place, but judging by the view from the field in the backside of beyond where we played last night I had to doubt the truth of that! Our band Mustang Sally was a last-minute sub for another that'd pulled out of a farmers 'working weekend' gig at Ebbsborne Wake, in North Dorset. Not heard of it? Well, I'll share a secret - it's not far from Sixpenny Handley... close by Fourpenny F**k. The event wasn't widely publicised, and was mainly intended for agricultural folk to try out their new and vintage tractors on a vast acreage of stubble (no, not my beard...) The hospitality tent and band seemed like a bit of an afterthought, while the two Portaloos stood like forgotten sentinels 80 yards away, a lonely walk of shame in full public view for those taken short and not prepared to pee in a bush somewhere...

We could only muster four of our possible six musicians due to the short notice so we set up with just drums, keys/vox, singer/acoustic guitar and me on bass doubling sax. The tent was mostly empty til the last 15 minutes (how unusual) while the punters sat outside and stuffed down hog roast and cider whilst watching a big orange moon rise over the distant horizon. There was absolutely no sign of any other human habitation from where we were set up, on top of a hill - total darkness. It was two hours bl**dy hard work. Still, we had as much fun as we could with our clothes on and it was my best-paid gig since last NYE, so no complaints on that front.

"Oh yes please!" I replied eagerly. "A mug of Earl Grey tea and a couple of digestive bicklies would be absolutely perfectl!"

A night to remember, lovely images, especially your missus giving you bicklies!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another gig in the Huddersfield locale for the glam lads last night. Great stage and boozer but the crowd was on the thin side. Fortunately the sound was great, we had a bit more time than usual to perfect the foh sound. Due to this it was a pleasure being able to nail the backing vox as the monitor feed was great.

The land persons were happy despite the lowish turnout and look forward to a return. More local gigs for us over the next few weeks and trying out some new PA which should be a bonus. 

• Like 9