Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

8 hours ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

Last two gigs have been wrecked by decibel meter.Now before I am berated by comments of turn down then.These things were set at ridiculously low levels.The disco with poor low end as usual played at a volume that could wake the dead.We produce a quality full sound at a very low volume and trip the meter.It’s been a long time since we had this happen even in venues that have decibel meters in.Even after speaking to the agent after the gig he mentioned the problems artists playing in these venues are complaining that it is becoming really difficult to do there shows.His option is to put in a single act with backing.He then tells me the venues want bands with drums but the meters will not accommodate them.I have been playing for more years than I wish to admit to and played through 70s 80s when meters were everywhere and had no issue.We have now decided not to play anymore of these venues without the option to bypass or adjust the level.If we are not required to play at these places then so be it.We will always accommodate volume  requests levels but sound quality to suite a decibel meter is non negotiable.The shows were very well received and we even got apologies from some of the audience on having our show wrecked by these meters.

Those things take all the fun out of playing a gig. I have no desire to play stupidly loud but I find myself watching the traffic lights and cringing every time the amber comes on.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My most recent gig (Friday night) was on lead guitar with a rock’n’roll outfit. My big problem was the excessive vocal monitor volume, which was most unpleasant during the first set. In the second set I wore an ACS plug in my more sensitive right ear (blocking the vast majority of the sound) and a Doc’s Pro Plug loosely in the left. This meant I could still hear my guitar!

The other (more tech-heavy) solution I’ve found is to use an IEM setup and feed it via a speaker-emulated DI box run from my amp’s spare speaker output. That way I can always hear myself even if my amp is turned down low.

• Like 6

Today, the big room at the Earl Haig.

Got a last minute call saying venue PA is out,  can we bring our own. Caught alex on phone just as he was leaving, so sorted. But meant late set up. Opened to punters at 5, very empty big hall with maybe a dozen or so as we got close to soundchecking. A few verses of Johnny B. Goode with ten minutes to go and more like 20-25 people. Got a cheer, but then nervous discussion about rain, bank holidays and record numbers going away for the weekend. It's a pay to enter gig and we were worried we mighg play to a couple of dozen people.

We need not have worried, it didn't get packed but we had as many people in as I've seen for one of these Sunday gigs.

First song was ok, second was Oh Pretty Woman and my sound was glorious, huge throaty growl. Went down a treat.

All three of us played the best we ever have, Alex's vocals have really strengthened and his guitar work was on fire. We had a great time and really put on a show. Tried to finish on time but no option but to do two encores.

Afterwards great feedback, happy punters, happy venue and very happy band. That was definitely the best gig I've played ever, just felt spot on.

Downhill all the way now! 🤣

• Like 21

Played a mini pub festival in Barton on Sea, Hampshire. Country-themed, hence the hay bales, but we blagged ourselves in as blues/Americana.

Forgot my Stetson but went walkabout with my wireless so it would probably have blown/fallen off! Elf and two Barefaced One10s more than adequate… I bring the second out once a year!

It’s possibly the only time I have ever had a view of the Isle of Wight from the stage. (Pic taken while setting up). What could be better?

Oh, and our dep drummer breezed it. Happy days!

IMG_4686.thumb.jpeg.d1535e2d2233a8c02c0872bb631d28df.jpegIMG_4699.thumb.jpeg.2a3f40591021b67594cacfb1607c1372.jpegIMG_4692.thumb.jpeg.ccd7b4a9a1461fd2947c19434f92bd9f.jpegIMG_4713.thumb.jpeg.06e69a34b4c439c21749c8e7e75f1d5b.jpegIMG_4694.thumb.jpeg.992566da1296fa26ee350e1033421476.jpeg

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 19

Even Jamie Carragher thinks our working area is a bit cosy...

Back to Huddersfield to play at The Plumbers Arms. Got lost three times on the way there (thanks, Google Maps!) but fortunately our ability to setup was hampered by the pub being full of people watching the Newcastle v Liverpool game so I wasn't late.

We had barely enough room to fit all our gear and us with not enough tables being moved and the pub being rammed because of the bank holiday.My entire rig (bar my pedal board) is hidden by our guitarist Jen and her big coat, but it comprised my Sire V7, Trace Elliot Elf head and Barefaced Two10S in portrait mode. I was told to turn down twice, so I could barely hear myself as I was stood in between the PA speaker and the guitar amp, but muscle memory got me through again.

I only managed to brain two people with the head of my bass, but both were gracious about it and promised not to sue us. The landlord even tried to book us for another gig before Christmas but for various reasons this isn't feasible, so hopefully we'll play there again in the new year.

PXL_20230827_175819974.jpg

• Like 15

Two lovely shows for me this weekend, I used my old jazz bass for the first time in ages (and now cannot feel my shoulder and my back is killing me!) …. But my sound engineer loved it and asked me to use it forever 😂😫 

Sat was just a local pub jobbie, but apart from the cramped conditions and sweltering heat was a lot of fun. 
Sunday was a headline slot at a local festival, which is always a total blast…tempered somewhat by the news that my father is critically ill just before I took to the stage. :( 
I managed to sneak a quick crowd shot whilst the house lights were up briefly between songs, which was nice :) Although the best snap of me has caught me with a plectrum in my mouth which is somewhat unflattering! 

IMG_8605.jpeg

IMG_8603.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 20

Sunday saw us (Rascallion) making a return visit to a local pub we've played at twice before.

When the date was originally booked back in January, it appeared to be just an ordinary beer garden gig (albeit on a Bank Holiday Sunday), but earlier this week we found out it coincided with a charity tractor run and fun day in aid of the local hospice, raising expectations that we might have a decent sized crowd, a lot of whom probably hadn't seen us before.

Sure enough, the parade of 35 vintage and modern tractors attracted a decent number of folks who all seemed keen to make the most of the day, despite the occasional heavy showers - at least the beer garden now has full marquee coverage so everybody (including us and our gear) stayed dry through the downpours.

The first set wasn't too bad - Mr Singer threw us a curveball by forgetting half of the second verse of "Guitar Town" and jumping straight into the bridge far too early, but we scuffled our way through it. 

There then followed an unexpectedly long break while the organisers held the auction and raffle. On the plus side, I came away with a canister of automotive cleaning wipes and a £20 meat voucher from a local butcher, but it would have been nice not to have to hang around for a whole hour before we fired up again.

Quite a few of the tractor folks left as soon as the raffle had finished, so the first couple of numbers in the second set were punctuated by tractors grumbling past just behind us, but on the whole the set felt a lot better than the first - whether it's down to the choice of material or a confidence thing I don't know, but it usually seems to be that way. The folks who did stay on to watch us were very complimentary at the end, the onstage sound was good (despite Mr Singer draping his coat over half of the drum monitor... 🙄 ), and for once I could actually hear myself properly, and my tone was exactly how I always want it to be!

Next gig is a birthday bash at a local village hall towards the end of September, for which we've been asked to play a / any song by Kenny Rodgers, as he's Birthday Boy's favourite singer. After giving it a whole 30 seconds thought, we've chosen "Ruby" - hope he likes it! 

stickford tractor fest.jpg

• Like 14

On 26/08/2023 at 13:09, theplumber said:

Great gig in a tiny pub in Lanark,Scotland. The Horse and Jockey. I had been told by some folk it was tiny and....it was! We managed though but it was like playing in a goldfish bowl at times with folk all around us. No stage to speak of just a corner next to the jukebox! It was a bit of an odd set up for us as the guitarists combo sat on my speaker cab and faced side on to the band. The keyboard player was also side on and looking at a wall or the bar all night! It got really full at one point when folk from the concert hall down the road piled in after a show! We went down a storm with folk asking us when we are coming back! The guy in charge gave us two more bookings for this year which surprised us as the usual carry on is doing a gig then spending the next month trying to get hold of the guy to book us again even when going down a storm! They are either too busy or never even seen the band on the night! Next time in we may spread out a bit. I really didn't want to take up any more of the space or tables as it was a mainly middle aged....ok old! audience and standing about all night right next to a band isn't really a fun night out! Well maybe not for everyone! It was very tight and I had to raise the neck of the bass to let folk pass and yes..it had to happen! Some guy tripped over my mike stand and it went flying towards me! Managed to catch it!!! Yes a great wee venue!

I play in a venue with a small stage.  I use a short scale headless at that venue.  It’s not quite the same as your situation in that we do have a stage, but it does mean the stage is less cramped and I can face the audience directly (rather than having to stand at a funny angle).  And, very importantly, I don’t need to worry about wacking the singer on the back of the head.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Simon C said:

I play in a venue with a small stage.  I use a short scale headless at that venue.  It’s not quite the same as your situation in that we do have a stage, but it does mean the stage is less cramped and I can face the audience directly (rather than having to stand at a funny angle).  And, very importantly, I don’t need to worry about wacking the singer on the back of the head.

After somehow managing to squeeze a five-piece band into a space about 8' square last night, and having hit a couple of people in the head because of the close quarters, a headless bass sounds very appealing for smaller venues.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

After somehow managing to squeeze a five-piece band into a space about 8' square last night, and having hit a couple of people in the head because of the close quarters, a headless bass sounds very appealing for smaller venues.

Just one of the many reasons for going headless - then you only stick the end of the neck into the singer's ear if you really mean to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Last night's foray was O'Neill's in Leicester. A good crowd in who enjoyed themselves....still demanding more songs when we'd finished and run out of encores. We played well and apart for the odd glitch here and there, carried it off with aplomb. 

Here's a vid of 'Tenessee Whiskey'. The guitar solo in the middle is worth waiting for 👍

No fights this time although the police did cordon off a section of the street round the corner and some poor bloke was lying prone on the pavement 👀

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Simon C said:

Never mind the singers head what about possible damage to the bass. You can replace a singer, not so much a nice bass. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

Last night's foray was O'Neill's in Leicester. A good crowd in who enjoyed themselves....still demanding more songs when we'd finished and run out of encores. We played well and apart for the odd glitch here and there, carried it off with aplomb. 

Here's a vid of 'Tenessee Whiskey'. The guitar solo in the middle is worth waiting for 👍

No fights this time although the police did cordon off a section of the street round the corner and some poor bloke was lying prone on the pavement 👀

Tasteful!

• Like 3

Small festival in a field in Shaftesbury, North Dorset, with Jamarca.

Good gig, nice pa, good sound guy and great sound.

After our set I had a little chat with the bass player in the next band up - nice guy, nice G@L bass.

When they started, he absolutely tore it up - Chilli Peppers, Sir Duke (with horn solo!).

Ever been in that situation that you're super impressed, but hoping he makes a balls up somewhere along the line. Alas he didn't! Just as I hoped he wouldn't start slapping - there he goes! It also turns out that the band is an informal pick-up band who have barely rehearsed together. That's it  - bass on eBay tonight!

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

On 23/08/2023 at 23:16, Bluewine said:

This Saturday 

Maple Road
This Saturday 8/26

Zeigler Winery

"Outdoor rockin' blues on Lake Winnebago @ Ziegler! We're thrilled to be playing this beautiful venue for the first time! Come enjoy some fantastic wine, (they have a great beer selection, too!) an awesome menu and a whole bunch of live music! Don't miss it!  And we'll have Tim Sardina on drums."

I'm looking forward to this gig. I've done acoustic stuff there before.  This is the  first time we're bringing the full Maple Road band. The grounds are beautiful.  

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Blue 

IMG_20230819_213043.jpg

All I can say is we pulled it off.

Respectful size crowd. Middle to Upper Middle Class folks. Surprisingly not very big tippers. Mostly singles. In Thiensville most folks are dropping 20s. 

We kept the stage volume low which was nice.

2 issues, number one it was cold and windy and number 2, I had a young lady accompany me and it was a little distracting. I'm usually solo at gigs.

Couldn't get many pics this time. I wore a bright blue polo /golf shirt. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1693111849077.jpg

FB_IMG_1693111890443.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 15

Just coming round from a busy weekend, Saturday night playing, Sunday watching other local bands. Saturday night was a great night as the last band on at a little ‘fest’ in the village of Tideswell in the Derbyshire Peak District. All the PA, back line and drums were provided which made life easy. The crowd were up and ready for us when we came on at 9 and the weather stayed fair till the finish. It appeared that the whole of the village had turned up and boogied along until the end. These are the sort of gigs we do it for 😁

• Like 9

Two gigs this bank holiday weekend, and a tale of two halves really.

Saturday was the Rifleman's Ball. We were on at 2pm and played to a decidedly sparse crowd. Sure there were pockets of dancers and everyone clapped but there was about 300 people in a venue that can easily hold almost 40 times that and it had a very empty feel. Anyway, I don't care because for the first time in my not-so-illustrious 'career' as a bass player I played the Newcastle Arena. The same stage that I have seen Iron Maiden, Rammstein, Green Day, New Found Glory, Bill Bailey, Eddie Izzard and many more. That was a massive, massive tick in my life column and something that I am insanely proud of.

Sunday was a bar on Roker beach. Small, sweaty, busy, and I had to suffer the indignity of carrying my own stuff, which was a real come down after the roadie-filled luxury of the arena! However, the place was standing room only with dancing and singing, so really the opposite of the Saturday for sure. Both great fun in their own way.

As I know you'll be asking. The band is The White Line. I'd post the link but we're not accepting any more gigs and winding down so you're likes would be wasted! :D The rig in both cases (because I'm too lazy to pack a car TWICE in one weekend) was my trusty EBMM Stingray, a G&L L2000 as backup (never out of the case this weekend), and Shure wireless into a HX Stomp.

Saturday:

371772041_6519678978109898_6080338666575849073_n.thumb.jpg.12bb0c7abe93abfb71faf461682c8971.jpg

371541075_6519679424776520_8418565221351829181_n.thumb.jpg.e4492a62fbcb74a209703ee3c27bc3e2.jpg

371327409_6519679388109857_778139983397502453_n.thumb.jpg.d223ee712e88969e28731f577e98d2d8.jpg

Sunday:

369685149_7391843290831311_5940439177102439459_n.thumb.jpg.d34d4dee3293e478954c42f12a6f14e3.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 16