Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

29 minutes ago, Angelus said:

First offence is £60 and if you’re not out of the city by midnight, then it’s another £120 on the way out. 🙄 That was over half the gig money for us. 😳 

Supposedly you can get 50% off if you pay in 14 days. So £30 between 4 ain't so bad.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

how does it sound live.

With the Jon East pre-amp you can get it sound exactly like you want it to - once you've worked out what all the different pull-up/down/twisty-left-right'n'everywhere knobs do!

However, I could probably use almost any bass at the moment  and it would sound the same as I'm mainly using a very distorted split guitar/bass octave thing on my Helix...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

With the Jon East pre-amp you can get it sound exactly like you want it to - once you've worked out what all the different pull-up/down/twisty-left-right'n'everywhere knobs do!

However, I could probably use almost any bass at the moment  and it would sound the same as I'm mainly using a very distorted split guitar/bass octave thing on my Helix...

Watched a few of your vids on FB but as you mentioned its difficult to hear the bass on its own. You do have a unique RH style going on there. Like it.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/07/2023 at 21:27, markbunney said:

The 77s played the Friday night of a local private festival called The Big Stiff, near Sevenoaks.

They had hired in a full lorry to play on, and a full pro PA and lighting rig, along with sound engineer. It was great to play on such pro equipment compared to our usual Facebook marketplace PA & lights.

It went pretty well, and we were able to get some good pictures and videos for social media.

All I had to take was my bass and pedal, and one of the best things about the night was it only taking 5 minutes to pack up!

we played for over 3 hours, which became a bit of a drag to be honest, as it had been a long hot night. I am trying to convince the rest of the guys to play for a bit shorter duration - less is more etc

8BF55667-D00B-4246-BC66-7C23DED10CFA.jpeg

Replying to my own post, but we have had some of the pro pictures come through which are great. 

FFEAE90C-E65E-4362-A358-FFC1D32B4781.jpeg

0168E5D6-C389-408A-AC93-7265698DB7E7.jpeg

51831D26-C5FE-4610-8FA0-DBB6B64544F8.jpeg

• Like 15

On 09/07/2023 at 15:27, markbunney said:

The 77s played the Friday night of a local private festival called The Big Stiff, near Sevenoaks.

They had hired in a full lorry to play on, and a full pro PA and lighting rig, along with sound engineer. It was great to play on such pro equipment compared to our usual Facebook marketplace PA & lights.

It went pretty well, and we were able to get some good pictures and videos for social media.

All I had to take was my bass and pedal, and one of the best things about the night was it only taking 5 minutes to pack up!

we played for over 3 hours, which became a bit of a drag to be honest, as it had been a long hot night. I am trying to convince the rest of the guys to play for a bit shorter duration - less is more etc

8BF55667-D00B-4246-BC66-7C23DED10CFA.jpeg

I'm still doing a few 3 hour shows.  It's long.

Blue

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Friday Night Acoustic Gig

Blue

"Hey West Bend! THIS Friday night! Live music on the patio at King Pin Bowl and Ale House! If the weather cooperates, bring your favorite chair! If the weather doesn't cooperate, we'll play inside, so you won't need your favorite chair! Hope to see YOU! 
Special guest Kevin Henkel joining us on percussion."

She's Right - I'm Left

FB_IMG_1689024944177.jpg

• Like 16

This gig is going to physically kick my butt.

It looks like some kind of multi band event and we end up playing a bar from 9-12. I think we're providing sound and lights, and I'm wondering why, with that many corporate sponsors.

It's up north in Plymouth at least an hour one way. 

I'm too old for this type of gig. This is a good gig for dmccombe7 . 😆 

Seriously I thought we were done with these types of gigs.

Blue

FB_IMG_1689050131737.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 6

On 10/07/2023 at 16:41, Bluewine said:

Friday Night Acoustic Gig

Blue

"Hey West Bend! THIS Friday night! Live music on the patio at King Pin Bowl and Ale House! If the weather cooperates, bring your favorite chair! If the weather doesn't cooperate, we'll play inside, so you won't need your favorite chair! Hope to see YOU! 
Special guest Kevin Henkel joining us on percussion."

She's Right - I'm Left

FB_IMG_1689024944177.jpg

Bad gig.

7:30 to 10:30 Acoustic gig.

We played the bar lounge in a bowling alley 

Not a good match. 20 somethings better suited for Kareoke or hip hop. They ignored us 

A guy walked up to me and asks " what time do you start". I said 7:30. He said "Ok, then we can play a few more rounds of darts ". We were set up behind the dart board.

We won't re-book there.

while it was a bad gig, I was happy with my playing.👍

Blue

FB_IMG_1689568818375~2.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We were set up behind the dart board.

I used to play in a duo and we were often either 'by the dart board' or 'if you just move the pool table, you can set up there'. The pool tables were always massive and bulky, as were the guys still playing pool on them. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Played a private birthday party do last night on a truck, in a barn, somewhere near Hereford I think! It wasn’t great, the crowd weren’t that bothered and the truck was so bouncy I was concentrating on not vomiting more than I was playing!! It was my first outing for my new bass, which is looking like a keeper (I always need the engineer’s FOH verdict before I commit - hence no NBD post yet). Here’s a video snippet but the bass is somewhat inaudible which is annoying, I’m sure it was ok in the room though. Tonight I’m off on my own for a solo gig in Wotton under Edge. 

• Like 12

Last night was a rather exceptional night, anything that could go wrong, did go wrong, right from the first song ( when the guitarist wasn’t even plugged into the desk ). Set list out the window and sound on stage was terrible, so it was a good job it was just a wee gig in the local pub and no one was there see it. 🤣 Except of course for the BassChatter standing in front of me. 😳 Was good to see you though and glad you made it. 👍 It did get better as the night went on, honestly. 🤣 

Few weeks off now, as the younger band members go in holiday with their kids. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Last night was a rather exceptional night, anything that could go wrong, did go wrong, right from the first song ( when the guitarist wasn’t even plugged into the desk ). Set list out the window and sound on stage was terrible, so it was a good job it was just a wee gig in the local pub and no one was there see it. 🤣 Except of course for the BassChatter standing in front of me. 😳 Was good to see you though and glad you made it. 👍 It did get better as the night went on, honestly. 🤣 

Few weeks off now, as the younger band members go in holiday with their kids. 

We thoroughly enjoyed it Lee. Sound where i was standing was great. Bass level dropped a bit where Ted your SE was standing with the desk tablet. That was a bit unusual but overall it was a great night. 

Choice of songs was brilliant. When you started i thought you were copying my bands sets doing T.Rex then Undertones. :laugh1:

Liked that J bass and you had a nice warm rounded tone thru the Fender amp.

Singer is excellent covering a fair range of styles there. Have to say your own vocals are excellent but you lack a bit of self confidence there so get into it and don't be so shy about your singing. It was good.

Young guitarist did a top job with all the solos.

Drummer was solid and nice DW kit too altho not sure i would tell him otherwise. He was quite well built lad. :biggrin:

All in all it was great to finally see your band and catch up with you and Ted again. Last time was at Ted;s gig in same venue.

The guy next to me was also a drummer and Ted your SE is a guitarist singer so you had the best audience for a gig in your local bar :tatice_03:

You did well, i enjoyed it and i was sober too. 

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

Played a private birthday party do last night on a truck, in a barn, somewhere near Hereford I think! It wasn’t great, the crowd weren’t that bothered and the truck was so bouncy I was concentrating on not vomiting more than I was playing!! It was my first outing for my new bass, which is looking like a keeper (I always need the engineer’s FOH verdict before I commit - hence no NBD post yet). Here’s a video snippet but the bass is somewhat inaudible which is annoying, I’m sure it was ok in the room though. Tonight I’m off on my own for a solo gig in Wotton under Edge. 

Looks like a great gig to me.

Blue

• Like 1

Had an afternoon gig today and it was the first time I gigged my Mikey Way Jazz for part of the set. I fitted it with TI Flats to contrast sound-wise with my Spector Bantam which is very clean, almost hifi sounding. 

I played the Spector 75% of the time (such a joy to play) but I am very impressed with the Jazz and is a lot livelier than my 72 Jazz which is quite dark sounding. It sparkles too which is a bonus. 

We used the opportunity to try out five new songs and three are definitely keepers based on how the audience reacted. 

Back to evening gigs next week which I'm looking forward to. It feels a bit weird packing up and heading home while it's still light!

• Like 9

Tonight:
The Rifleman's Arms in Droitwich. Four piece HEAVY rock band with one and a half rehearsals.
The guitarist's 4x12 Blackstar (?) stack was louder than a Supernova, the drummer was a metalhead with a double kick pedal who played everything at 200mph.
It was SO loud, I couldn't hear my BVs, my VTDI (set to Ampeg SVT on steroids) through my Big Boy amp (Markbass CMD121P) was roaring away at the back somewhere.
No setlist, seat of my pants and skin of my teeth.
EBMM Sterling, Rock 8th notes all night, I got blisters, tinnitus and a headache.
Dynamics: LOUD. Nuance: none.
The audience were animals, shouts for Slayer, Megadeath, Cannibal Corpse (!) and Napalm Death.

It was BRILLIANT.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

2nd gig this weekend.  Another acoustic gig. It was a private 60th birthday party.

I'm sure most of you have done these background gigs.

About 100 people with allot little kids running  around.

What can I say, good hours 5:30-8:30 and good food especially the egg rolls. I got home at 9:00.

Blue

20230715_180631.jpg

• Like 12

There have been some great updates on here over the last few weeks - thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread over the last 4-5 weeks.  Some of you may have noticed them appearing on the BC Facebook page.  I've tended to go for updates that have an 'ooh' factor about them, posts that make you sit up and take notice.  Posts don't have to be celebrity based, a relatable story is sometimes just as good!  For example an anecdote about arriving at a gig only to realise you had left your bass behind on the pavement outside the front of your apartment (yes, that WAS me).  Or maybe an interesting sit in with the band.  Keep 'em coming, it's a great way for everyone to check each others gigs out! 

• Like 10

Multiband Fundraiser for Harefield Hospital yesterday, due to play for 45 mins on the back of a truck in a field behind the nurses home, winds estimated to be between 20-40mph, but probably no rain..........what could go wrong?  Well apart from 1 band not making it, which meant as soon as I got there it was...'quick, set up, we're on in 10' We also played a bit longer to make up for the missing band, it was a great afternoon/evening and even got home before the missus went to bed....happiness all round!

You can just make out my TH500 atop a Barefaced 2x10 behind the soundman in the middle, damn thing was so loud the sound guy took me out of the PA totally as I was shaking the speakers so much, and it still held its own......love my Barefaced!

HH1.jpg

• Like 16

Under canvas at our favourite Dorset glamping site. A couple who had just been touring the South said the Otis Jay Blues Band were ‘as good as anything we saw in Memphis’…praise indeed!

it didn’t rain, the wind died down and we got free fish and chips. What’s not to like?😉IMG_4157.thumb.jpeg.1f73a9aa2fbfb191d3139089442326a2.jpegIMG_4162.thumb.jpeg.fd9f2b7aecc81f13317a2ae1f072d908.jpegIMG_4163.thumb.jpeg.e437b57296507314a37bb54763859a64.jpeg

• Like 17

We had a gig in a 'brewery'!  It's a brewery and an events location where they do beer tastings, Bob Ross Paint-alongs (with beer). corporate parties etc, hence they had an in-house PA that we hooked up to.  Sound was a bit 'Meh' as it was a large brick warehouse with steel containers and a high tin roof but it got awfully hot and muggy as the gig progressed.  

image.thumb.png.973eb05849775e307721acda687f09bf.png

• Like 14