Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Minety Music Festival on Friday night. Oh what a blast. Big crowd, they loved it. Predominantly twentysomethings, they sang along to everything but they were in loudest voice for our horn-driven version of Glee's take on "Don't Stop Believing".

I can't stand that song.  I have no idea why it's so popular, it's a drudge to play and the only reason its in the set is for the audience.  Oh well, smile and give the people what they want... :)

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I can't stand that song.  I have no idea why it's so popular, it's a drudge to play and the only reason its in the set is for the audience.  Oh well, smile and give the people what they want... :)

See also sex on fire and many others

I played my first bluegrass gig at a festival on Saturday and Sunday. I'm primarily a jazz player but got involved in bluegrass when the mandolin player saw me at a jazz gig and after a few rehearsals I became part of the band for this festival and one in September. I had to learn 26 songs but it was great fun playing with really good musicians and it certainly keeps you on your toes since the arrangement that was rehearsed may not be what happens on stage, very common in bluegrass so you have to listen carefully. Great weather and a decent crowd and I'm looking forward to the next time. I used my Yamaha SLB 200 instead of my DB, easier to haul around and easier for the sound guys to deal with. Quite a few bluegrass bass players have gone to EUB's especially for outdoor gigs, it doesn't have the visual impact of a DB but it's more practical. It was at a large campground on a beautiful river and In the photo things look pretty "rustic" but it was a great place to play and the sound system was superb. 😊

P1060202.jpg

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

OK, let's try again with video from Saturday night!

Silverback at Porlock Weirfest 2023

This content isn't available at the moment

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people or changed who can see it, or it's been deleted.

I think it needs to be public before you can do that

• Like 1

I've got two gigs coming up at the weekend, Caerleon Festival, and Cubanas, a local venue that started doing Sunday gigs last year and has really taken off.

But what I'm really excited about is my brother's band have sold out a gig for Saturday evening (so I can go after the festy spot) and they are setting up on Friday. The bass player can't make the soundcheck evening, so they've asked me to stand in. Even if it's only a couple of songs, it will be great fun.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I heard a PROPER rock band rehearsing recently - I could hear them from the kitchen.
Absolutely smashing Guns & Roses, Ramones, Stooges sort of stuff and (I think) a couple of originals.
I posted on the local fb group saying how good they sounded (and a request for some led zep), turns ott they're all 14-16 years old.
Go fNet loads of replies saying how good it was to hear young 'uns rocking out, and people asking when they were gigging next.

There is hope for the future!

Yes, I understand there are good young bands playing traditional rock genres. It's  just not as easy to find as it use to be.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

This content isn't available at the moment

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people or changed who can see it, or it's been deleted.

I think it needs to be public before you can do that

Correct! I did an edit to let anyone see it before re-posting link. Just checked and it's still showing as accessible to anyone - which it was for a while. I give in!

Don't worry everybody, you're not missing much 🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Don't worry everybody, you're not missing much 🤣

Sorry Mike but we can't accept this as an excuse.

We need vid evidence to prove you aint miming to a backing track like a certain Boy band. :laugh1:

Dave

My weekend gig was on Sunday for the 45th anniversary party of local band "The Bash Street Kids" It started at 2pm through to 9pm and comprised my band Reloaded along with another 4 bands. The headliner was of course "The Bash Street Kids" unfortunately minus their lead singer who was spending time in hospital minus his appendix! Someone had made a huge cake for the party....mmmm!

20230702_151552.thumb.jpg.e1b8c8b1463b71209f6abfd1d8ddcc32.jpg

Unfortunately when we were changing over from the previous band their guitarist dropped his Fractal Audio amp.........onto my Sadowsky! 🤬 I initialy thought it had just knocked the strap (it was on a stand) and quickly checked it over. Didn't see any damage in the low lighting, played the gig, packed away and didn't think any more of it. Unpacked my gear today and you guessed it, I found the impact point. There's now a chunk of finish taken out of the top horn. In the photo it looks an easy repair but it's translucent black and you can see the grain underneath...ah well it could have been worse.

20230703_124400.thumb.jpg.68bb6d2f029eeea4b4727cfadf590bd3.jpg

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 13

SATURDAY
Up at around 10am. Had a coffee and then filled the car with all of the gear for the day's exertions. I wasn't looking forward to Saturday very much. Two gigs in one day, both with a full rig and PA set-up to do. I've had radiotherapy recently and that, as well as a Covid booster on Monday, are flattening me.

I arrived at Atherton Collieries AFC at 11.30am, as the fun day started at 12 noon. The weather did not look promising. There were lots of clouds and it looked like it might rain. I wasn't feeling too good about all this, but got on with the job, instead of moaning about it.. Our guitarist Ian arrived next. He unloaded his gear and was then made to take his car out of the grounds. There was really no need for that. There was masses of space and a row of cars parked not far away. He could have parked there with the others. I butted my car up to my side of the pagoda that we were hiding from the weather under. It didn't have any side panels and the wind would have blown us all over the place. Someone looked at me to move it and I pointed out that it was a windbreak and to protect us from the rain. Graham arrived and stuck his car on the other side of the stage area. We moved some large bins so his car could fit in the gap.

The PA had to sit outside the pagoda.  Ian put an overcoat over one of the PA speakers. Eventually a side panel was found for the pagoda and we tied it on and I trapped it in my car windows to try to keep it firm. It still blew around like crazy, but at least the little burst of rain that inevitably happened didn't get onto the gear. I covered the PA speaker on my side and I wasn't at all happy with the wind. There was now a rear panel attached too. This all hadn't been thought out. A single extension cable came to us from inside the clubhouse. I put my circuit breaker plug first in line.

2023.07.01.car.jpg

Our first spot was largely ignored by the punters, as they were around the corner from us, outside the main clubhouse, or just inside it. We played well enough on the whole, though Graham was on the CBD and wasn't feeling at his best, and we also made a couple of changes from the normal set. A quick video call to Chris  in the break regarding the book. Everything appears to be approved. Our 'rather abridged' (shortened) second spot was pretty much the same, though we did have some people watching, as the weather had brightened up a bit. We interestingly seamlessly missed a whole section out of Tell Him (the 'Ever since the world began' bit and the last verse) and nobody noticed. The wind had really got itself together and the PA speaker on my side started to go over. Luckily a couple of our mates, Kenny and John, managed to avert a gear disaster. I have to thank them for that.

We broke the gear down quickly enough. The next band were on at 5pm and we learned that they would be playing indoors. Typical. They are keen to have us next year. IF WE CAN PLAY INSIDE, PLEASE.

The other afternoon events we are doing this year are all organised with the PA and drum kit provided, so I won't have to put the PA together at those. They will be nice to do. I will just be able to put my bass rig in place and play. Heaven. I was back home at about 4.30pm and settled on the sofa.

At 7.30pm, I pulled myself together and went off to Lowton for the evening's gig. I was there just before 8 and Graham was already loading in. I just felt shattered. But I had a job to do. We set up. Graham had managed to have a sleep inbetween, so was feeling a lot fresher than I was. Graham and I had a brief discussion about which way the band should be angled on stage. One option would have left me with practically no room and the stage is a bit of a bass trap, amplifying the low end ridiculously, so I had suggested we didn't use the bass bins. That helped a lot. I kept my amp rig right back in a corner and it didn't really rumble too much. I have had to get it on a chair before now to stop it taking over the whole soundscape.

The evening gig was an entirely different affair to the earlier gig. We had a packed pub, did a slightly altered set and played with a lot more enthusiasm. The crowd loved it. I was bushed, but the only real mistakes were forgetting to sing the last line on a chorus on the Boys Are Back In Town and a pink torpedo-up of sorts in Do wah diddy, where I missed a final section of the song out and just extended the next to last chorus. I put that down to being really really tired, as well as us not playing the song often enough. We came away with a very large tip and I was home before 1am. Bed immediately. A quick read and then off to sleep.

SUNDAY

I first woke up with my alarm at 10am and snoozed it. 10 minutes later I got up and went to the bathroom and perfomed my ablutions... and then I went back to bed. I woke up a few times, eventually rising at 12.20. I went upstairs and did this blog for the last couple of days. Last night's venue messaged me to reclaim 'the large tip'. It was a staff error. I responded positively, saying I had said it was more than I was expecting when being paid, but, as I had said to the lady who paid us, I didn't have my diary on me at the time.

We have the jam night later on, so one last heroic heave and my weekend's work will be over. An afternoon of walking dogs on the park, TV and resting.

I got to the jam night at 6.15pm, despite road works and set about beavering away straightaway at doing the setup. I chased cables to the far side of the room for stage left and stage right power. I got my gear in and the PA cabs and stands and the mixing desk and monitor. Also 3 instruments and a large Stanley 3 level tool box full of cables etc. I had finished doing my bit, setting the PA up and my gear, so we were ready to start at 7.10pm. The stage wasn't lit properly as I forgot the lights. I was too rushed and forgot to get some of them out. I have too many jobs. As I rushed round frantically, setting up, I listened to the other guys warming up on their instruments, while my stuff was still in cases and i was still putting things together. The jam night was what it was. Some new blood again, and really promising stuff.

https://fb.watch/lz7MbGP1OV/

At the end of the night I broke the PA and my gear down and got it to the door. It took me 40 minutes of non stop running around to do it on my own. Me and Graham had our gear down and ready to go at the same time. Thanks to Nigel and Ryan for their kind help with Graham's gear. I was utterly shattered after breaking the gear down and loading it out. I'm going to have to make a decision on our jam nights. They are a lot of work and I'm just not sure I'm up to the effort it takes at the moment.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 10
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

SATURDAY
Up at around 10am. Had a coffee and then filled the car with all of the gear for the day's exertions. I wasn't looking forward to Saturday very much. Two gigs in one day, both with a full rig and PA set-up to do. I've had radiotherapy recently and that, as well as a Covid booster on Monday, are flattening me.

I arrived at Atherton Collieries AFC at 11.30am, as the fun day started at 12 noon. The weather did not look promising. There were lots of clouds and it looked like it might rain. I wasn't feeling too good about all this, but got on with the job, instead of moaning about it.. Our guitarist Ian arrived next. He unloaded his gear and was then made to take his car out of the grounds. There was really no need for that. There was masses of space and a row of cars parked not far away. He could have parked there with the others. I butted my car up to my side of the pagoda that we were hiding from the weather under. It didn't have any side panels and the wind would have blown us all over the place. Someone looked at me to move it and I pointed out that it was a windbreak and to protect us from the rain. Graham arrived and stuck his car on the other side of the stage area. We moved some large bins so his car could fit in the gap.

The PA had to sit outside the pagoda.  Ian put an overcoat over one of the PA speakers. Eventually a side panel was found for the pagoda and we tied it on and I trapped it in my car windows to try to keep it firm. It still blew around like crazy, but at least the little burst of rain that inevitably happened didn't get onto the gear. I covered the PA speaker on my side and I wasn't at all happy with the wind. There was now a rear panel attached too. This all hadn't been thought out. A single extension cable came to us from inside the clubhouse. I put my circuit breaker plug first in line.

2023.07.01.car.jpg

Our first spot was largely ignored by the punters, as they were around the corner from us, outside the main clubhouse, or just inside it. We played well enough on the whole, though Graham was on the CBD and wasn't feeling at his best, and we also made a couple of changes from the normal set. A quick video call to Chris  in the break regarding the book. Everything appears to be approved. Our 'rather abridged' (shortened) second spot was pretty much the same, though we did have some people watching, as the weather had brightened up a bit. We interestingly seamlessly missed a whole section out of Tell Him (the 'Ever since the world began' bit and the last verse) and nobody noticed. The wind had really got itself together and the PA speaker on my side started to go over. Luckily a couple of our mates, Kenny and John, managed to avert a gear disaster. I have to thank them for that.

We broke the gear down quickly enough. The next band were on at 5pm and we learned that they would be playing indoors. Typical. They are keen to have us next year. IF WE CAN PLAY INSIDE, PLEASE.

The other afternoon events we are doing this year are all organised with the PA and drum kit provided, so I won't have to put the PA together at those. They will be nice to do. I will just be able to put my bass rig in place and play. Heaven. I was back home at about 4.30pm and settled on the sofa.

At 7.30pm, I pulled myself together and went off to Lowton for the evening's gig. I was there just before 8 and Graham was already loading in. I just felt shattered. But I had a job to do. We set up. Graham had managed to have a sleep inbetween, so was feeling a lot fresher than I was. Graham and I had a brief discussion about which way the band should be angled on stage. One option would have left me with practically no room and the stage is a bit of a bass trap, amplifying the low end ridiculously, so I had suggested we didn't use the bass bins. That helped a lot. I kept my amp rig right back in a corner and it didn't really rumble too much. I have had to get it on a chair before now to stop it taking over the whole soundscape.

The evening gig was an entirely different affair to the earlier gig. We had a packed pub, did a slightly altered set and played with a lot more enthusiasm. The crowd loved it. I was bushed, but the only real mistakes were forgetting to sing the last line on a chorus on the Boys Are Back In Town and a pink torpedo-up of sorts in Do wah diddy, where I missed a final section of the song out and just extended the next to last chorus. I put that down to being really really tired, as well as us not playing the song often enough. We came away with a very large tip and I was home before 1am. Bed immediately. A quick read and then off to sleep.

SUNDAY

I first woke up with my alarm at 10am and snoozed it. 10 minutes later I got up and went to the bathroom and perfomed my ablutions... and then I went back to bed. I woke up a few times, eventually rising at 12.20. I went upstairs and did this blog for the last couple of days. Last night's venue messaged me to reclaim 'the large tip'. It was a staff error. I responded positively, saying I had said it was more than I was expecting when being paid, but, as I had said to the lady who paid us, I didn't have my diary on me at the time.

We have the jam night later on, so one last heroic heave and my weekend's work will be over. An afternoon of walking dogs on the park, TV and resting.

I got to the jam night at 6.15pm, despite road works and set about beavering away straightaway at doing the setup. I chased cables to the far side of the room for stage left and stage right power. I got my gear in and the PA cabs and stands and the mixing desk and monitor. Also 3 instruments and a large Stanley 3 level tool box full of cables etc. I had finished doing my bit, setting the PA up and my gear, so we were ready to start at 7.10pm. The stage wasn't lit properly as I forgot the lights. I was too rushed and forgot to get some of them out. I have too many jobs. As I rushed round frantically, setting up, I listened to the other guys warming up on their instruments, while my stuff was still in cases and i was still putting things together. The jam night was what it was. Some new blood again, and really promising stuff.

At the end of the night I broke the PA and my gear down and got it to the door. It took me 40 minutes of non stop running around to do it on my own. Me and Graham had our gear down and ready to go at the same time. Thanks to Nigel and Ryan for their kind help with Graham's gear. I was utterly shattered after breaking the gear down and loading it out. I'm going to have to make a decision on our jam nights. They are a lot of work and I'm just not sure I'm up to the effort it takes at the moment.

Sounds like a lot of work.

That stuff with your guitarist that had to move his car really ticks me off. It's  like, " What can we do to make things difficult for the band"

Blue

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 12:14, dmccombe7 said:

100% agree.

Dave

Thanks Dave

I saw a short video clip on Facebook and I was ok, I didn't look like a " goof ball" or anything 

No active G&L. I played my 2000 MIJ Fender 1951 P reissue. 

Daryl

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

SATURDAY

2023.07.01.car.jpg

SUNDAY

In both my bands the full band helps with everyone's gear. We all help bring the gear into the venue, set up the backline stuff and then myself and the others help setting the PA and lighting up. PA and lighting belongs to the drummer but we all put the effort in. 

At the end of the night we let our guitarist head off early as he lives a fair distance from rest of us and almost always has a 1.5 drive after a gig.

Dave

• Like 4

17 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

In both my bands the full band helps with everyone's gear. We all help bring the gear into the venue, set up the backline stuff and then myself and the others help setting the PA and lighting up. PA and lighting belongs to the drummer but we all put the effort in. 

At the end of the night we let our guitarist head off early as he lives a fair distance from rest of us and almost always has a 1.5 drive after a gig.

Dave

How it should be. Lucky man.

• Like 2

First time out for the recently formed

bcplogo.thumb.png.ca7fb19850d1c212a065590619862899.png

Just two songs at a small open mic (and we had not yet learned the words!) but it was well received and a load of fun.

image.thumb.png.e6b5e78b5187309a3c15140f0879df68.png

I spent the rest of the evening enjoying the other performers and co-running the sound system.

S'manth x

• Like 16

After playing on Saturday night to around 3000 people at a festival, I had a gig this afternoon playing

to around 30! We usually do a care home ( where my Dad spent his last days ) twice a year,

Summer and Xmas. The weather held out so we played in the courtyard garden, with requests

ranging from Elvis to Nirvana ( okay, that was from one of the staff). Apart from my bass lead,

it was the first time I’ve done a gig with a Bluetooth PA including mic - great JBL speakers sounded fine.

Used my little Ibanez electro acoustic and Fender Rumble, ideal for such occasions. 

c925126e-184d-4663-a2b5-3ccdfe385c4c.jpeg

• Like 18

A very odd one on Tuesday evening. We played at a pub in Erbistock, as they were holding an event to celebrate their recent re-opening. One of the singists is an area manager for a brewery and it was arranged to say thank you to the people who had helped with the renovations and whatever business stuff gets done when a pub re-opens. There were a fair number of people who declined the invitation, some on the day and a few in advance, with the upshot being that we played to about 12 people. 

We played ok, but it was very loose and we were changing the set list all the way through, adding some and dropping more. We're not a covers band and had only put two into the set (we'd not performed them before), which were both dropped and replaced with a different one we've done a few more times.

Still, the few people there were somewhat attentive and polite (possibly because they knew the singist). We were also fed and paid, which is always nice for an originals band! 🤣

I also got to give the new RCF ART 945's a run in anger for the first time, so that was useful.

Mosh pit photo below.

20230704_205407.jpg

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, casapete said:

After playing on Saturday night to around 3000 people at a festival, I had a gig this afternoon playing

to around 30! We usually do a care home ( where my Dad spent his last days ) twice a year,

Summer and Xmas. The weather held out so we played in the courtyard garden, with requests

ranging from Elvis to Nirvana ( okay, that was from one of the staff). Apart from my bass lead,

it was the first time I’ve done a gig with a Bluetooth PA including mic - great JBL speakers sounded fine.

Used my little Ibanez electro acoustic and Fender Rumble, ideal for such occasions. 

c925126e-184d-4663-a2b5-3ccdfe385c4c.jpeg

I'd like to do some care home gigs. It just seems like it would be fun and I'm sure the residents are appreciative. And it's " giving back" to the community. 

I couldn't get my band members on board with it. I couldn't even get them to listen to the idea. They ignored me.

Blue

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'd like to do some care home gigs. It just seems like it would be fun and I'm sure the residents are appreciative. And it's " giving back" to the community. 

I couldn't get my band members on board with it. I couldn't even get them to listen to the idea. They ignored me.

Blue

We only do this one Blue, as a favour for the owner who I’ve known for a few years.

It’s actually quite enjoyable, and the residents seem to like it. When my Dad was alive,

I used to take him to regular ‘singing with dementia’ afternoons, and it was really moving

to see people who struggled with their everyday life managing to remember lyrics and

tunes from their younger days.

It’s also easy to think the residents all like really old stuff, when in reality most of them probably 

remember seeing the Beatles and the Stones in their youth! We do requests, and the ones

we get back that up - usually Elvis / rock n roll / 60’s stuff is popular, with the occasional

standard thrown in too. It’s lovely to see how they react when we play their favourite songs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casapete said:

We only do this one Blue, as a favour for the owner who I’ve known for a few years.

It’s actually quite enjoyable, and the residents seem to like it. When my Dad was alive,

I used to take him to regular ‘singing with dementia’ afternoons, and it was really moving

to see people who struggled with their everyday life managing to remember lyrics and

tunes from their younger days.

It’s also easy to think the residents all like really old stuff, when in reality most of them probably 

remember seeing the Beatles and the Stones in their youth! We do requests, and the ones

we get back that up - usually Elvis / rock n roll / 60’s stuff is popular, with the occasional

standard thrown in too. It’s lovely to see how they react when we play their favourite songs.

I think it's great.

We did an outside acoustic gig and a van dropped off a dozen care residents.

It was heart warming to watch how cool and appreciative they were.

Blue

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

A very odd one on Tuesday evening. We played at a pub in Erbistock, as they were holding an event to celebrate their recent re-opening. One of the singists is an area manager for a brewery and it was arranged to say thank you to the people who had helped with the renovations and whatever business stuff gets done when a pub re-opens. There were a fair number of people who declined the invitation, some on the day and a few in advance, with the upshot being that we played to about 12 people. 

We played ok, but it was very loose and we were changing the set list all the way through, adding some and dropping more. We're not a covers band and had only put two into the set (we'd not performed them before), which were both dropped and replaced with a different one we've done a few more times.

Still, the few people there were somewhat attentive and polite (possibly because they knew the singist). We were also fed and paid, which is always nice for an originals band! 🤣

I also got to give the new RCF ART 945's a run in anger for the first time, so that was useful.

Mosh pit photo below.

20230704_205407.jpg

I hope the dog didn't get in free

• Haha 2