Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 21/05/2023 at 15:58, Bluewine said:

Do allot of you guys play Cricket ?

Blue

I used to.  I coached it for 9 or 10 years too.  One of the greatest ever fast bowlers is a decent bass player.  I’ve a vague memory that  his band once played at my cricket club.  A guy called Curtly Ambrose. I’m not sure if he’s on this forum or not 😀.

Edited by Simon C

It was Jam Night on Thursday.  We had an early slot, and with it getting lighter it was the 1st time I hadn’t had to sit there pre slot with a UV torch charging the dots.  A mate of my son played guitar with us for the 1st time.  I’d heard him play before in a duo with my son and he’s done plenty of weddings and busking slots. (And linking to the previous post, I used to coach him at cricket).  I assumed he’d played in bands before, but apparently this was his 1st time.  He did a good job, and his US Fender is a bit of a looker.  He’s up for playing with us next time which is a good, particlularly as he can sing and the singer can’t make it. 90s or so of clips below:

https://youtu.be/niKZr2ZADVM

https://youtu.be/jRGBNGUdiGg

• Like 3

Not a gig, we'll I guess it's  still considered a gig.

I did a side project, a video shoot for a friend's new CD. I'll  post the video when all the post production  editing is complete. Fantastic songs.

It was allot of work. I was there for hours and those lights were hot.

Blue

FB_IMG_1684985126815.jpg

20230524_191709.jpg

20230524_181654.jpg

20230524_181622.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 10

20 hours ago, Muzz said:

On the plus side for cricket, I've never been to a game and not spent the whole afternoon getting casually drunk in the sunshine*; the match itself just kinda goes on in the background as a mere incidental to the rest of the proceedings...we played a posh corporate gig at Old Trafford (huuuuge ground in Manchester) for some official awards ceremony, and were introduced to the whole England team; didn't know who any of them were, just smiled and waved...the food was particularly nice, though...

* No idea what happens if it rains: I presume everyone goes into the clubhouse and carries on drinking...

I think I could get into Cricket.

Blue

• Haha 2

On 21/05/2023 at 15:58, Bluewine said:

Do allot of you guys play Cricket ?

Blue

I played until quite recently, village cricket which is the lowest level but fun. Vicious game really; that ball is hard and it's a legitimate tactic for the bowler to intimidate the batter by aiming at them. I'm a modest bowler but still sent people off to the minor injuries unit at hospital every now and then. Had a few injuries to my hands too so I played Sundays to avoid having to play bass with recently bruised or broken fingers.

Funnily enough Cricket is what brought me to bass playing, I wasn't very good but the team won when I played and not so much when I wasn't available. Now I'm the musician that fills a hole in the team, and they can't do it without me either :)

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 3

I was a barely competent cricketer growing up in NZ. When I started playing in the after work league in Nth London I was surprised. All I had to do to bowl out the opposition was keep it straight. Runs were easy to pick off. I was the top bowler and batsman.

Beats me how the UK puts up a competitive international team. In the same kind of after work league in a provincial NZ city I was nothing special at all. Loose balls got smacked and good ones defended. Bowlers had to use some craft to get guys out.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Simon C said:

I used to.  I coached it for 9 or 10 years too.  One of the greatest ever fast bowlers is a decent bass player.  I’ve a vague memory that  his band once played at my cricket club.  A guy called Curtly Ambrose. I’m not sure if he’s on this forum or not 😀.

Curtly’s band is called Spirited, I had the pleasure of seeing them perform at the Galley Bay Hotel in Antigua, superb professional band, had a chat with Curtly during the break, a nice friendly guy. 👍

Ex West Indies captain Ritchie Richardson also in the band on guitar.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2023 at 18:25, Mudpup said:

Nope, I would rather stick pins in my eyes....

How can a sport require you to drink beer and eat sandwiches at half time whilst wearing a jumper? Now, dwarf bowling, that's a totally different ball game 🙂

Damn Ixm out of tlrts.

492514413_TLRTEmpty.JPG.9d635a87a2ab715dcc9760ecc051d60b.JPG

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, steantval said:

Curtly’s band is called Spirited, I had the pleasure of seeing them perform at the Galley Bay Hotel in Antigua, superb professional band, had a chat with Curtly during the break, a nice friendly guy. 👍

Ex West Indies captain Ritchie Richardson also in the band on guitar.

What a life - an international cricketer then getting paid for playing music.  It's a shame I'm not good enough at either - or maybe the careers officer at my school didn't know it was a potential career path 😁.   They both played in good West Indies teams too, particularly Richardson -though I'm sure Richie would think the pinnacle of his career was playing for Yorkshire😜

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Merton said:

Awesome. Just played the main stage at Buckle and Boots festival near Manchester. Wicked fun, great feedback from the crowd. Can’t wait to see some of the photos and footage!

www.katyhurt.com

Excellent! We've been trying to get on that for a while, without much luck.

The good: I sang lead vocals on two songs and the band were full of praise.

The bad: We played the first set to ten people, the second set to six and the last three songs to the barmaid.

I'm sure the two aren't linked and I still got paid a hundred quid cash, so.... a mixed bag?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

The good: I sang lead vocals on two songs and the band were full of praise.

The bad: We played the first set to ten people, the second set to six and the last three songs to the barmaid.

I'm sure the two aren't linked and I still got paid a hundred quid cash, so.... a mixed bag?

I get it. I still struggle with poor attendance.  It gets  into my head and my playing.

Blue

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Nice! Just checked out some

of the tracks on Spotify. Sounds good… great voice! Is that you on the recordings too?

Cheers! I’ve only been in the band since December last year, so not on any recordings yet. There is an album in the bag ready to be released, but we’re talking of doing an EP or something if new songs as well.

• Like 2

The 77’s played at the Chislet Colliery Welfare Club in Hersden, near Canterbury last night.

it was our 3rd gig together and went pretty well. Our singer and guitarist tried using IEMs, but didn’t get on too well with them. I think more time setting them up and testing them is required.

I hired the Ampeg SVT3 pro again, I also tried an Ashdown RM 220, but could hardly get any sound out of it. I have had so many amp problems recently, I am starting to think my cab might be the problem. It’s an Orange Sp212 and rated at 8ohms/500 watts.

I never had any issues when using it with my terror bass but nothing else seems to work that well with it since.

we have our next gig in a couple of weeks so will have to sort something better for that, as it’s a big one in a popular town centre pub in Maidstone

C4033E51-2DB4-47E5-B8D2-8E5192F10A6D.jpeg

740FCCA5-BF0F-44A8-8930-2F2192952D9E.jpeg

F92146C8-36F4-40F1-804D-EB63242778E0.jpeg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, markbunney said:

The 77’s played at the Chislet Colliery Welfare Club in Hersden, near Canterbury last night.

it was our 3rd gig together and went pretty well. Our singer and guitarist tried using IEMs, but didn’t get on too well with them. I think more time setting them up and testing them is required.

I hired the Ampeg SVT3 pro again, I also tried an Ashdown RM 220, but could hardly get any sound out of it. I have had so many amp problems recently, I am starting to think my cab might be the problem. It’s an Orange Sp212 and rated at 8ohms/500 watts.

I never had any issues when using it with my terror bass but nothing else seems to work that well with it since.

we have our next gig in a couple of weeks so will have to sort something better for that, as it’s a big one in a popular town centre pub in Maidstone

C4033E51-2DB4-47E5-B8D2-8E5192F10A6D.jpeg

740FCCA5-BF0F-44A8-8930-2F2192952D9E.jpeg

F92146C8-36F4-40F1-804D-EB63242778E0.jpeg

What's the orange mat you have the cab sitting on. ?

Is it for stage isolation like the Gramma pads ? If so does it work ok and where did you get it.

I have a gramma pad but my stacked cabs wobble a fair bit on it and was looking for other options.

Dave

• Like 2

Awesome gig, one to remember.  Our regular 4th Friday of the month at The Shamrock in Ipswich.  Holiday traffic on the A12 north was horrendous on the way out but then the evening just got better and better.  Stephen 'Foz' Foster came long and introduced us, which was a nice touch.  One of those gigs where everything felt good - we definiately had the electricity on last night!  Not busy at first but packed out by the second set.  At half time one of our regulars wandered over to say how good the bass was sounding.  3 encores, lots of new fans, CDs sold :)  And only an hour to get home.  Pic from Foz's Facebook

349343572_793455439068859_71911561872768

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

What's the orange mat you have the cab sitting on. ?

Is it for stage isolation like the Gramma pads ? If so does it work ok and where did you get it.

I have a gramma pad but my stacked cabs wobble a fair bit on it and was looking for other options.

Dave

It’s just a yoga mat folded in half, from B&M I think.

My wife bought it for me as matched the colour of the cab and thought it would look cool.

I don’t think it does much sound isolation wise. I used to have a gramma of as well and everything wobbled on it too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, markbunney said:

It’s just a yoga mat folded in half, from B&M I think.

My wife bought it for me as matched the colour of the cab and thought it would look cool.

I don’t think it does much sound isolation wise. I used to have a gramma of as well and everything wobbled on it too

Cheers for that. I did read that hockey puks work as isolators but not tried them.

Dave