Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

First gig last night for a little project we’ve been working on for a while. Played my favourite room in town, a lovely little dive down by the waterfront. Lots of familiar faces came to cheer it on. Place was packed, band sounded great, sound was perfect. 

This is going to be fun. 

• Like 7

Great night at Rocky’s Bar in Gillingham, despite having to play as just a four-piece (rhythm guitarist/second lead singer sidelined by some ghastly stomach-bug). Finished at 11.45 with table-dancing by our singer and some punters, whose age group was a lot younger than our normal audience at 20-40. And they still love a bit of 50s rock & roll!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gasman said:

Great night at Rocky’s Bar in Gillingham, despite having to play as just a four-piece (rhythm guitarist/second lead singer sidelined by some ghastly stomach-bug). Finished at 11.45 with table-dancing by our singer and some punters, whose age group was a lot younger than our normal audience at 20-40. And they still love a bit of 50s rock & roll!

Where is Rockys Bar?.... assuming Gillingham Kent, there's a few Gillinghams about😎

19 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Never too old for a bit of rock n roll. :laugh1:

Dave

Absolutely ripping club gig last night, local to me for a change. Local as in a mile from my front door. :) Big crowd up and dancing right from the 'Buh' of 'Buster...', they even danced to our sound check :lol: now the club desperately want us back later in the year and the local beer festival are dying to book us too.

Gratuitous office shot.

PSX_20230409_113152.jpg

Skanking with the crowd

IMG-20230409-WA0023.thumb.jpg.eb687bd5445922141a44b9d6663fec50.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

Great wee two hour set in Paisley last night, was home before the Chinese takeaway shut too, which isn’t the norm these days. But two hours right through, without a break, isn’t what I’m used to anymore and suffering today. Had fun though and doing PA for a friend today, so need to unload the van again tonight. 

• Like 8

Saturday afternoon saw the first outing for Rascallion in 2023, appearing as the first "Outdoor Band" of the year at a local village pub (and coincidentally the first time we've ever played there too). 

Really nice setup in the beer garden, with a marquee roof running the full length, though as things turned out it might have been better if they'd had the sides on too - despite the lovely sunshine, it was both a tad draughty and incredibly chilly in the shade, and by the time we finished at about 6:30pm (having kicked off at 4pm, with a 30 minute break between sets) we were all suffering from cramp and frozen fingers (but fortunately had just enough dexterity and feeling left to be able to bash out "Bad Moon Rising" as a much-demanded encore).

Other than the usual distraction of the odd bass note booming through the monitors (octave E's this time rather than the usual B's and C's... 🤨 ), all went reasonably well. Overall, it probably wasn't the best we've ever played tbh, but conversely a couple of numbers turned out the best we've ever done them, so swings and roundabouts, eh? Despite the onstage boominess, FoH sound was spot-on, and the audience were appreciative throughout, with one particular lady declaring we were "f****** awesome" at the end. There again, drink may well have been taken, so...  🤷‍♂️

As it is, we were already booked for late August BH Sunday at the same venue, but they've now also asked if we could be available at short notice should they find themselves needing a band any time before then, so guess we must have made a decent enough impression.

Next scheduled gig is an open-air local charity festival in mid-July - hopefully it'll be a bit warmer that day!

Picture from the pub FB page...

red lion gig.jpg

• Like 9

Friday night at The Chameleon in Nottingham with Hurtsfall, supporting Chaos Bleak and Senex IV

We missed our last rehearsal as our synth player had picked up some lurgy from his kids, and we definitely noticed that we weren't as tight as we should have been, and because of that we weren't ready to play any of the new songs we had been working on so it was the same set as we did last time. Also note for future gigs not to ask for any changes to the foldback mix without trying them first - my idea of very slightly more Bass VI in the monitors and the sound engineer's was somewhat different... However the audience thought we were great and despite going on first at 7.30 it was pretty close to packed from the beginning, Saw some old faces from the past and a couple of people who regularly attend In Isolation gigs who didn't realise that I also play with Hurtsfall.

Photo from the gig showing our singer in full Goth Friday mode as we play the song "Revelator":

340290067-565675182058116-77381653928704

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Absolutely ripping club gig last night, local to me for a change. Local as in a mile from my front door. :) Big crowd up and dancing right from the 'Buh' of 'Buster...', they even danced to our sound check :lol: now the club desperately want us back later in the year and the local beer festival are dying to book us too.

Gratuitous office shot.

PSX_20230409_113152.jpg

Skanking with the crowd

Bass hat: check👍

Bass nerd factor: it's a Spector, so huge check😎

Looks great night out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Gratuitous office shot.

PSX_20230409_113152.jpg

Skanking with the crowd

Nice titfer 

• Thanks 1

On 04/04/2023 at 10:34, NancyJohnson said:

Well, last Friday actually.  Long day.

I'd been awake since 4.00am after four hours kip (the Indian I'd eaten the previous night rumbling through my guts).  Left home (near Reading) about 8.30am; satnav advises there's a prang on the M25 anti-clockwise, so I'm clockwise around to the M11 junction (about halfway round the M25).  Weather was horrific, heavy rain, people driving like Richards.  Arrive at Engine Room Studios in Bow around 10.30am for a video shoot at 11.00am.

After filming (1.00pm), we decamp to an adjacent room and rehearse that night's set once.  Pint of IPA.  Drive from Bow to Lewisham, where we loiter for a couple of hours at the drummers house.  6.00pm (and remember I've been up 14 hours at this point), we embark for The Bird's Nest in Deptford.  There's no load in, just a single bass in a case for me, to be told we're not on until 10.00pm.  We sit around, talk to punters (who despite all sounding like Ray Winstone are just lovely).  We go on late, but there's a curfew at 11.00pm.  Good crowd, appreciative.  We do the full set and we're done by curfew.

We're in the car by 11.15pm.  Drop singer off in Godalming at about 12.40am and drive home, in about 1.30am.  I eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich, drink a glass of milk and give the cat some attention (no, this isn't a metaphor), bed at 2.00am.  Been awake 22 hours at this point.  My body has forgotten how to do this level of musical activity.  My back aches.  My right knee (surgery last August) aches.  My hands hurt.  I'm dehydrated.  I feel alive.

Awake at 9.00am and jetwashed the drive.  

Rock and roll.

I love this story. I have to be at work for 6am every day. So up at 4 - 4 - 4:30am. So whenever I have gig on a school night I know its gonna be a looong day. Especially if its midweek. Get back get a couple of hours of sleep then back to work at 6am don't care who you are its tiring.  So yea after being awake for 20 plus hours and a long drive home trying to stay awake you naturally feel knackered and I do wonder how long I can keep doing this? But after a good nights kip I do feel so good and don't regret doing it.  Luckily I'm still fairly young so I can do it. But I'm not sure if I want to be doing this in another 10-15 years time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassFace1991 said:

I love this story. I have to be at work for 6am every day. So up at 4 - 4 - 4:30am. So whenever I have gig on a school night I know its gonna be a looong day. Especially if its midweek. Get back get a couple of hours of sleep then back to work at 6am don't care who you are its tiring.  So yea after being awake for 20 plus hours and a long drive home trying to stay awake you naturally feel knackered and I do wonder how long I can keep doing this? But after a good nights kip I do feel so good and don't regret doing it.  Luckily I'm still fairly young so I can do it. But I'm not sure if I want to be doing this in another 10-15 years time.

I used to sleep brilliantly, but now I'm awake at 4.00-5.00am every morning irrespective of the time I hit the sack...I just seem to have lost the ability to sleep well and if I've had a long day recovery can extend into two or three days.

I just love being back playing/gigging, but the day I'd experienced was unnecessarily complex and I was definitely running on adrenaline.  Just this afternoon (discussing this with family), like you I had this nagging thought in the back of my head about how much longer the willingness to do this is replaced by the body not being up to it.

• Like 1