Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Another great gig at a club in Huddersfield last night with the glam band. Wasn’t expecting miracles because Covid had hit this club pretty hard when we played it last year with a lot of the punters still AWOL. This seems to have reversed this year and the club was packed and we had a great night. Another booking to sort but this will be 2024 as we are now booked solid for 23. Going on 7 years with this band now and it’s still loads of fun!D47108B2-447D-400F-AA75-0AE33CAE79DB.thumb.jpeg.c20115e0b8b454c83612b5be7dbee1cc.jpeg

• Like 11

Played a social club down on the south coast last night. These places can be like God's waiting room but last night's venue proved to be a lovely place .

Helpful staff, simple load in, stage, lighting, full house all into it and dancing all night.

Picked up a wedding enquiry and gave out cards afterwards. Nice payment and a bunch of happy punters. 

Played the Bugera T through my Elf 10s, used the Bruce Thomas Profile and Ampero Stomp and created a righteous din.

IMG_20230225_202817.jpg

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Played a social club down on the south coast last night. These places can be like God's waiting room but last night's venue proved to be a lovely place .

Helpful staff, simple load in, stage, lighting, full house all into it and dancing all night.

Picked up a wedding enquiry and gave out cards afterwards. Nice payment and a bunch of happy punters. 

Played the Bugera T through my Elf 10s, used the Bruce Thomas Profile and Ampero Stomp and created a righteous din.

IMG_20230225_202817.jpg

Cool, and you gots Ade Edmondson on drums too.. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Odd one for me last night, private do in a local pub, so nice and close, but our engineer was unavailable and it’s never quite the same with the stand in guy, good as he is. I couldn’t seem to get my IEM levels quite right, it was all a bit odd. Crowd were into it, but in a subdued way, plenty of dancing, but otherwise no other interaction at all. Strange night, but we were liked and handed out cards and got paid and fed, so fine. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 8

On 17/02/2023 at 00:14, Bluewine said:

We've been off for the past 4 weeks. That means we didn't have much booked for Jan & Feb. And we had a member with a serious medical issue.

We start up again next weekend with a high end acoustic gig.

Blue

1648337130829~2.jpg

We played Revere's last night, 8:00-11:00.

It was an awful night. First of all we hadn't had a gig in 4 weeks. Load in was horrible. We drove around in the van for 45 minutes before we found a parking spot.

It gets worse. It's an upscale restaurant, however it's not a music crowd. As soon as they finished their meals they left. So, by 9:00 we were playing to about 6 people.

And to top it off, I sounded like crap.

How's that for transparency ?

Blue 

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

Well, not a gig, but my new band ‘MLC’ had our first rehearsal with me a few weeks ago - my audition. We clicked pretty well from the off, and I was invited to join half way through! We plan on having regular vlogs as we prepare, and will have gig footage as soon as we get out there! 

Here’s the first vlog with the new lineup:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It was an awful night. First of all we hadn't had a gig in 4 weeks. Load in was horrible. We drove around in the van for 45 minutes before we found a parking spot.

It gets worse. It's an upscale restaurant, however it's not a music crowd. As soon as they finished their meals they left. So, by 9:00 we were playing to about 6 people.

And to top it off, we sounded like crap.

Blue 

I think we've all had gigs like that unfortunately Blue.

• Like 3

A small festival in the middle of nowhere on Saturday night. A full on set 11-12. It was very warm and sweaty. This crowd are so supportive of the band, we could play absolutely terribly and still go down well. I can understand how that might undermine the motivation of some, but for me it just takes all the pressure off. I had a great time, and I managed to get home by 1:30 which was a lot earlier than I expected. 3 weeks off now :/

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue 

We all have em mate, even the best bands.  As the saying goes 'it's a paid practice'.  

• Like 5

I'm sure there's a "worst gig" thread somewhere, but just to chip in... Try playing in original metal bands. Then you get to do "unpaid practise". Sometimes the other bands might watch, but we played one once where the support band left and after we started our set, the soundman left too, meaning we literally played to no-one for 25 minutes and then went home unpaid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Had my first gig back after paternity leave this weekend, haven't played standing up for a few months... When did my bass get so heavy? 🤣 

First time using my new Vanderkley 2x10 as well, in the words of my singer and drummer, "something that small and light should not sound that good or be that loud!"

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue 

Restaurant crowds are the worst, they're not there for the music.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

I'm sure there's a "worst gig" thread somewhere, but just to chip in... Try playing in original metal bands. Then you get to do "unpaid practise". Sometimes the other bands might watch, but we played one once where the support band left and after we started our set, the soundman left too, meaning we literally played to no-one for 25 minutes and then went home unpaid. 

Even happened to me once with the covers band (minus the unpaid bit). Booked to play at the social club of a football team out in the sticks. Due to a toxic combination of other stuff going on in the town and a lack of promotion (maybe they thought they didn't have to), absolutely no-one turned up. Not a sausage. Played the first set to 2 bar staff. At half time they told us we could just stop, but paid us anyway.

We're booked there again so hopefully the football club will actually have some supporters this time. The date? April 1st... made me chuckle and ask several times if it's a genuine booking :D

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Even happened to me once with the covers band (minus the unpaid bit). Booked to play at the social club of a football team out in the sticks. Due to a toxic combination of other stuff going on in the town and a lack of promotion (maybe they thought they didn't have to), absolutely no-one turned up. Not a sausage. Played the first set to 2 bar staff. At half time they told us we could just stop, but paid us anyway.

We're booked there again so hopefully the football club will actually have some supporters this time. The date? April 1st... made me chuckle and ask several times if it's a genuine booking :D

I've had this too, we did a pub type thing, ( it was geared up for bands so not a one off) and literally one guy turned up, he'd heard us before and came specifically to see us bless him.. 

We gave him a millionaire style private show, requests and all, and had a drink with him afterwards of course. 

We did get ( albeit grudgingly) paid by the rather surly landlord, but hey they shoulda' advertised it better... 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
spelling
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Couple of pics from our biker rally gig on Sat night. I've already described the gig further up the thread.

2058540862_3.jpg.76b811f0f9f417d74f54a8635ada703d.jpg2130609564_2.jpg.10e5481063e6de5015ed2a8fc5f0e044.jpg1706036553_8.jpg.ddf800cbe5b5b967622e70842cd08351.jpg

Gotta love them Biker gigs Dave!  Looking forward to 2 with MAG this year, first in Northwich (Cheshire) and second in Helmsley (North Yorks).  Always a great crowd and love their Glam Rock.

• Thanks 1

We've been booked to play a pub since last year. However, Newcastle United did a football thing and it turns out that our 4pm gig yesterday afternoon is going to be right in the middle of the cup final right? So a week or so ago the pub, very professionally, apolgoetically, and understandably, asks us if they can move the gig to a 6:15 ish start (or after extra time, etc), basically aim to keep people in the pub by starting as soon as the match has finished. This is fine, one point of clarification though, for a 6:15 start we'll need to start setting up at 5pm at the latest. Can we set up during the match, soundcheck at 6 then start 615? Yes, no problem, stage area will be clear all afternoon.

So, we got there at about 445 and there's no room inside at all, you have to fight through a crowd just to get to the bar. Landlady said she had to put tables on the stage as it was so full. Can we wait around until 6 to setup? Still start at 615? No, that's not possible. Oh well then, set up at 6, start about 8ish then go home at like 11? Yeah, no.

So, home by 530. :/

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Jack said:

We've been booked to play a pub since last year. However, Newcastle United did a football thing and it turns out that our 4pm gig yesterday afternoon is going to be right in the middle of the cup final right? So a week or so ago the pub, very professionally, apolgoetically, and understandably, asks us if they can move the gig to a 6:15 ish start (or after extra time, etc), basically aim to keep people in the pub by starting as soon as the match has finished. This is fine, one point of clarification though, for a 6:15 start we'll need to start setting up at 5pm at the latest. Can we set up during the match, soundcheck at 6 then start 615? Yes, no problem, stage area will be clear all afternoon.

So, we got there at about 445 and there's no room inside at all, you have to fight through a crowd just to get to the bar. Landlady said she had to put tables on the stage as it was so full. Can we wait around until 6 to setup? Still start at 615? No, that's not possible. Oh well then, set up at 6, start about 8ish then go home at like 11? Yeah, no.

So, home by 530. :/

They clearly never thought Newcastle would get that far.  15 minute setup?  You must have us confused with "Instant band in a box, just add water".

• Haha 3

I remember a few years ago the band I was in were due to play at a Greene King pub (name and shame the Paul Pry in Rayleigh), we turned up and everything was set up ready for the big screen boxing match.  It seems they forgot to cancel us.  No apology, no fee, just turned us away.  It so happened that one of our guitarists was at some bash the next night for CEOs of various companies, and the CEO for Greene King was there.  He mentioned the story.  Monday morning he got a long and very cap in hand email from the manager of the Paul Pry, offering us money for the gig we didn't play and dates for future gigs.  I believe he told them to poke it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I remember a few years ago the band I was in were due to play at a Greene King pub (name and shame the Paul Pry in Rayleigh), we turned up and everything was set up ready for the big screen boxing match.  It seems they forgot to cancel us.  No apology, no fee, just turned us away.  It so happened that one of our guitarists was at some bash the next night for CEOs of various companies, and the CEO for Greene King was there.  He mentioned the story.  Monday morning he got a long and very cap in hand email from the manager of the Paul Pry, offering us money for the gig we didn't play and dates for future gigs.  I believe he told them to poke it.

But that's a result!  Why?  If the manager got a roasting from the CEO, they're unlikely to muck you about again.  I get that principles are expensive but this sounds like a noseless face to me.

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

We've not done a lot of them but the band is only now managing to get started with pandemic holding us back just as the gigs were coming in fast then we had a change of guitarist altho Colin is exceptional and knew 80% of our set from when he was in Lieutenant Stardust so that helped. Gigs starting to come in now for this year and next so all good. Love doing this Glam stuff. Great fun and everyone seems to enjoy themselves. Its funny how a lot of the younger generation recognise most of the songs too. 

Good to see you guys are well booked up. That's always a good sign for us going ahead. 👍

Dave 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

We've not done a lot of them but the band is only now managing to get started with pandemic holding us back just as the gigs were coming in fast then we had a change of guitarist altho Colin is exceptional and knew 80% of our set from when he was in Lieutenant Stardust so that helped. Gigs starting to come in now for this year and next so all good. Love doing this Glam stuff. Great fun and everyone seems to enjoy themselves. Its funny how a lot of the younger generation recognise most of the songs too. 

Good to see you guys are well booked up. That's always a good sign for us going ahead. 👍

Dave 

Just noticed, for some reason it didn't post the text I'd added....

Was just saying, we love the Biker rallies - we were worried when we did our first one in 2018 but the crowd loved it.  We've even ended up doing Bay City Rollers stuff in the sets for them which we were sure they'd hate.  We'll be doing a couple of MAG/NABD rallies this year in Cheshire and North Yorkshire and we can't wait!

We're starting to see a few more Glam bands crop up around here, some seem to have 'adopted' the sets we had on our website.....but generally speaking there's plenty of work for the genre and we don't have to go looking for it.  The secret is a good front man who likes to act and dress up like a tart as well as sing!  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Just noticed, for some reason it didn't post the text I'd added....

Was just saying, we love the Biker rallies - we were worried when we did our first one in 2018 but the crowd loved it.  We've even ended up doing Bay City Rollers stuff in the sets for them which we were sure they'd hate.  We'll be doing a couple of MAG/NABD rallies this year in Cheshire and North Yorkshire and we can't wait!

We're starting to see a few more Glam bands crop up around here, some seem to have 'adopted' the sets we had on our website.....but generally speaking there's plenty of work for the genre and we don't have to go looking for it.  The secret is a good front man who likes to act and dress up like a tart as well as sing!  

Our male singer has been doing a solo Glam act for many years and our drummer was in The Glitter Band in 90's era and has played some huge stadiums. He was good friends with The Sweet back in the day and even had some lessons from the amazing Mick Tucker. I think he lived near Steve Priest altho he was a good bit younger than them.

Our guitarist had been doing the Glam thing for 13yrs until their singer left for NZ.

We started in 2018 but took a year faffing about trying different keys but gave up on them and settled for Lynn who was the singer in the punk covers band i'm now in too. We benefited far more with Lynn sharing vocals with Mickee than we ever got from keys. Keys players are an odd bunch.

We were just getting things all sorted and gigs coming in when BAM covid struck and it all stopped. Not enough time to get a following yet so started from scratch last year again.

I did play in Hot Love from Glasgow who have been doing the Glam covers thing for many years too. I was there 17th bass player LOL Great guys but they wanted to gig 2-3 times a week and i had just retired from work and found it all a bit too much. Learned their set in 3 weeks, no rehearsals as singers Dad passed away just after i joined. After 7-8 days i was told a lot of the songs were in different keys from originals and had to redo them, then after first 2 gigs that weekend they asked me to learn another 20 songs within 10 days. Just too much for me i'm afraid i needed a break from learning songs. I still keep in touch with them as they are all really nice guys in Hot Love.

And that is our band history in short :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2