Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

9 minutes ago, lonestar said:

A great first time with The Gray Project https://www.thegrayproject.co.ukat the John Peel Centre in Stowmarket, supporting Smith and the Honey Badgers. Lovely crowd and staff They want us back in March and May

95D69D4A-92FD-4374-BA77-23C8A217C8EC.jpeg

363DCD70-EA11-4A4F-85BD-9E9DB0201989.jpeg

C3CF0C3E-1FDA-4B45-9C18-EAEFC4DB5C21.jpeg

My lot did a support slot there couple of years ago and it is a great venue!  Nice one. :) 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 04:37, Len_derby said:

The covers band, Night Shift, played one of our home venues, The Holly Bush at Marehay. It was a charity night to raise money for a community defibrillator. By donating our fee and running a raffle we raised just under £600. When added to the £700 raised by the cricket club across the road we’re nearly there. A good crowd, with deep pockets. We had some muso friends there so had a few guest vocal performances. I’m planning a quiet day today as we’ve got another one in Heanor tonight.

7536C497-EF68-46CB-A89D-29F4B0484D70.jpeg

I have learned to appreciate crowds with

" deep pockets "

Blue

• Like 1

First gig of the year for me and a great crowd to start us off, up dancing and singing along all night. Lots of positive feedback on sound and we only seemed to have a couple of alien abduction moments and pretty much caught them or worked our way out of them (not sure I’d want to listen back to a recording 🤣)

Bonkers end to the evening with a load of (very whizzed) girls in front of me screaming “we love you, you’re the best” 😳 Seen later outside vomiting over a wall next to the venue possibly at the realisation of what they’d done 🤣 I know someone who’s going to have a very sore head in the morning and wonder at the new follows and likes they’ve added to their social media feeds.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

We're still pulling off 3-4 gigs a week. It's a crazy schedule, but we're loving it. 23 has been 100% booked since last year and 24 is already well underway to being the same. Just finished another 3-show week. Every show has been packed and crowd always stays till we finish. Then we have a rough time loading out because everyone feels they need to talk to us.

Anyhoo. 

Off today. Rehearsal tomorrow. Off Tuesday. Then gang busters again with gigs Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I've forgotten how to sleep.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, joel406 said:

We're still pulling off 3-4 gigs a week. It's a crazy schedule, but we're loving it. 23 has been 100% booked since last year and 24 is already well underway to being the same. Just finished another 3-show week. Every show has been packed and crowd always stays till we finish. Then we have a rough time loading out because everyone feels they need to talk to us.

Anyhoo. 

Off today. Rehearsal tomorrow. Off Tuesday. Then gang busters again with gigs Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I've forgotten how to sleep.

Which band is this?

• Like 1

We played a couple of gigs this week - in Peterborough and then at one of my favourite venues, Sheffield City Hall.

For anyone who doesn't know it, this magnificent building was designed in the early 1920's but not opened until 1932. The Oval Hall holds around 2,200 people seated, and we had about 1,600 people in on Friday night. It's the first time we've ever brought in a 'flown' PA system, and it really made a difference. We've just acquired a new desk too (an Allen&Heath Avantis if anyone's interested) and it needed a fair old soundcheck in order to get everything right.

Despite our singer fighting off a cold, we all played well and the audience were amazing - definitely one of the best gigs I've done with the band* over the last 13 years. 

*The ELO Experience

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

Edited by casapete
Spacing
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from a gig with my band Sour Tusk. We played a place called The cask bah! In Loughborough. Bit apprehensive when I first arrived it's a really tiny micro pub. Really tiny stage. Nowhere to store guitar cases etc. Good job we're only a 3 piece. But it was sold out so it was packed. We seemed to go down really well. Would like to play there again. Though I'm still think it's more suited for acoustic gigs. Also got back home a rather more civilized times than the 4am after the last gig. 😅

Edited by BassFace1991
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, casapete said:

We played a couple of gigs this week - in Peterborough and then at one of my favourite venues, Sheffield City Hall.

For anyone who doesn't know it, this magnificent building was designed in the early 1920's but not opened until 1932. The Oval Hall holds around 2,200 people seated, and we had about 1,600 people in on Friday night. It's the first time we've ever brought in a 'flown' PA system, and it really made a difference. We've just acquired a new desk too (an Allen&Heath Avantis if anyone's interested) and it needed a fair old soundcheck in order to get everything right.

Despite our singer fighting off a cold, we all played well and the audience were amazing - definitely one of the best gigs I've done with the band* over the last 13 years. 

*The ELO Experience

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

Is your drummer a guy called Steady by any chance?

11 hours ago, BassFace1991 said:

Just got back from a gig with my band Sour Tusk. We played a place called The cask bah! In Loughborough. Bit apprehensive when I first arrived it's a really tiny micro pub. Really tiny stage. Nowhere to store guitar cases etc. Good job we're only a 3 piece. But it was sold out so it was packed. We seemed to go down really well. Would like to play there again. Though I'm still think it's more suited for acoustic gigs. Also got back home a rather more civilized times than the 4am after the last gig. 😅

We once arrived at a pub called the Smawthorne Arms as a last minute replacement band where , it turned out , the last thing anybody wanted was a power trio. We had a chat and did three things. Reduced the volume , reduced the tempo and reduced the energy. We actually enjoyed it and so did the williams. Though we never went back (our choice - they did ask us to) we did purposely find another two or three gigs that became regulars where we applied the same thinking and that type of gig became known as a ' Smawthorne job'.

Edited by Dr.Dave
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Our "Almost Acoustic" set in Stoke on Saturday. A tiny venue and totally sold out. I have a bass drum, snare, hats and a cymbal. I'm not sure the reason for it but it's good fun. Our bassist switches to his acoustic bass which is 5 string, and it's so nice to have the extra low notes. I sometimes wish he'd go back to his 5 string Bass Collections but he loves his Fender P. We played 1.5 hours but it was so chilled out I barely broke a sweat. Apologies for the terrible photo, I only took it to show off my cymbal to a mate.

838258475_artisantap.thumb.jpg.2631b139e11fe9aec96e8dd6d85e3970.jpg

Rock City on the main stage as part of the Beat The Streets festival. We've done other stages at this festival a few times and it's always good, but to be back on at my favourite venue was a real treat. Awesome sound as always. A full on 30 minutes set. I had no time to warm up, broke two sticks, and had to fight through cramp, but it was a bit more exciting than the "acoustic" set. I was drenched!

1033447530_rockcity.thumb.jpg.5e54c3721da3dccfe5b220dcab623b1d.jpg

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Stuff a banana an hour before you go on. Potassium is your cramp avoiding friend.

Is that right enough. I hate eating banana's, its the texture it just makes me feel like throwing up. I do love the taste tho so maybe a banana shake before a gig. What do you think.

Our drummer likes chocolate shakes while playing rather than water. I'll drink 1-2 litres every gig more so with the Glam band.

I find hand / finger stretching exercises before i start helps a lot too.

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that right enough. I hate eating banana's, its the texture it just makes me feel like throwing up. I do love the taste tho so maybe a banana shake before a gig. What do you think.

Our drummer likes chocolate shakes while playing rather than water. I'll drink 1-2 litres every gig more so with the Glam band.

I find hand / finger stretching exercises before i start helps a lot too.

Dave

Banana shake sounds good.

• Thanks 1

If I get 30 mins in a dressing room before we go on it's fine, I get to warm up. If I go from loading on to playing, I'm a bit screwed. I don't think any amount of banana, shaken or otherwise, is going to solve that, although I appreciate the kind thought. Imagine trying to peel a banana while the sound guy is shouting for you to hit the rack tom!